6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Banks Tuner

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2008, 10:30 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Banks Tuner

I see that Banks now has a cold air intake, and an exhaust system on their site. Has anyone heard when they will finally offer a tuner?

Old 06-09-2008, 10:55 AM
nordberg
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
its going to be a while. your best bet is to call them. i would recommend looking around at other options besides the six gun tho. your probably better of with a flash device than a module. jmo tho.

Old 06-09-2008, 06:55 PM
LJC
Senior User
Personally I love their dual exhaust system… but the cold air intake.. just doubt that it works without throwing codes on the new 6.4

Old 06-09-2008, 09:33 PM
nordberg
Freshman User
well the only intake i know that throw's codes is the afe and i hear they have or will have a cure for that. it throws codes because the mass air flow reeds th air is moving to fast since the air overspeed code it throws.

Old 06-10-2008, 04:13 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Thanks Nordberg. I was just hoping someone might have heard something from "the inside". By a module, a assume you mean a chip? What would be some advantages/disadvantages of a module vs programmer/flash device?

Old 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM
nordberg
Freshman User
well with a module ( under the hood plugs into the harness) all you'll gain is slite power increase and it will be VERY hard on your dpf. modules claim to be undetectible but if you plug the dpf with soot or if it cracks from the extra heat they will NOT warranty your dpf and it costs darn near 2000 dollars! now with a tuner (flash device) you can get larger power gains larger fuel millage gains and you can get one to remove the dpf (wich happens to be about a 30 horse plug in the exhaust)

Old 06-10-2008, 10:18 AM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
More power is always good, but I'm mainly interested in gaining MPG's. I just can't bring myself to do the DPF delete yet. I'd love to get rid of it, but not at the expense of my powertrain warranty. I was under the impression that Banks usually has the best products without voiding warranties... and do it CLEANLY. Do you think that that's a fair statement? You're certainly right in that I don't want to replace that damned DPF! I want it to work as designed until I'm ready to tear it out ( after warranty period ). I'm still trying to stay open minded to other good ideas though. Thanks for your input. I hope I get a few more opinions on this as well. As an aside, I spoke with my dealership yesterday and they have no heartache with mods. in general. Just not too drastic...

Old 06-10-2008, 02:08 PM
nordberg
Freshman User
well i wouldnt assume banks is the best with the least hassle. if you want a good product that you wont have to remove the dpf then buy the spartan phalanx without the dpf delete tunes. then when you decide to upgrade your already 3/4 of the way there. or you could go with the sct livewire and later down the road it will have dpf delete capabilities as well. without removeing the dpf you'll be lucky to get 1-2 mpg gains compaired to 20+mpg with the dpf delete. if you decide to go that route and something happens you can always flash the truck back to stock and put the dpf back in place. hope i pointed you in a good direction.

Old 06-10-2008, 02:18 PM
R-T0r21on
More Turbo
Lotsa good info.! I guess I've got a lot of thinking to do. Thanks Nordberg.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:56 PM
firstfordf25008
Freshman User
banks is absolutely the best... the sct programmers look like a kid designed them. i talked 2 a guy at banks the other day... they r looking at having the six gun 4 the 6.4 by the end of the summer... i cant wait. u have 2 respect a company that takes time in2 making the programmer 2 make sure its right.... just my opinion though

Old 07-08-2008, 12:45 PM
jbarker_bankspower
Junior User
Originally Posted by LJC
Personally I love their dual exhaust system… but the cold air intake.. just doubt that it works without throwing codes on the new 6.4
Actually the intake is garanteed not to throw any codes. A lot of time was spent to verify the improvemt in air flow but also that it would not impact the engine or emmission system.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:53 PM
jbarker_bankspower
Junior User
Originally Posted by nordberg
well with a module ( under the hood plugs into the harness) all you'll gain is slite power increase and it will be VERY hard on your dpf. modules claim to be undetectible but if you plug the dpf with soot or if it cracks from the extra heat they will NOT warranty your dpf and it costs darn near 2000 dollars! now with a tuner (flash device) you can get larger power gains larger fuel millage gains and you can get one to remove the dpf (wich happens to be about a 30 horse plug in the exhaust)
So far, with other moduals, you were correct. Most were putting out over 120% more soot then stock. This would obviously kill the DPF in short order. The new six gun will run about 1% cleaner then stock and the new ottomind will run about 8% cleaner then stock. Thats 1% and 8% LESS soot output from the engine then the stock tune and on their max power settings. How do we know this? Check this out: YouTube - Diesel Particulate Filters: background
This will allow you to run the truck and regen fewer times over the same driving distance and both will run just fine with the DPF in place. The Six Gun will produce 118hp/235lb-ft over stock at the wheels and the ottomind will produce around 80hp/175lb-ft. I'll post up more info as they get released from our engineering dept.

Old 07-08-2008, 03:45 PM
sturzinator
Senior User
Any MPG increases with the Banks system? Keep us updated.....

Old 07-08-2008, 03:57 PM
jbarker_bankspower
Junior User
Originally Posted by sturzinator
Any MPG increases with the Banks system? Keep us updated.....
So far the only MPG improvments we have seen are from our intake and exhaust systems ( I know, duh). Most of our customers are reporting around 1.5-2.2mpg better using both but this is by no means a garantee that's what you'll see as to many factors will affect your overall gain. The tuner (the ottomind) will be good for a minimum 10% better then stock however. I'll keep you all posted.

Old 07-08-2008, 09:03 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume the "ottomind" (strange name) keeps the DPF in place. If it is detectable by the dealer and anything goes wrong with the engine, can't they still blame that and deny warranty claims? I'd love to take that damned DPF off but don't want to until the warranty is over...

(BTW, I think I remember seeing Banks out at Bonneville at Speed Weeks way back in the mid and late 70's...)

Quick Reply: Banks Tuner