46 Flathead Hard to turn over - pls help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:32 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
46 Flathead Hard to turn over - pls help!

Hi Gents - I just picked up a 46 Merc 1/2t in great original unmolested shape. It runs great - once it's started that is! (I actually drove it 2 hrs home from where it was stored!).
The issue I have is that it's been "hard to turn over". If I jump it (from a 12V), sometimes it turns over fast and sometimes won't. Without a jump it will barely turn. I've started it from a tow a couple times and it runs great, but turn it off and it's hard to start. I changed the solenoid and ran new/clean grounds from battery, solenoid and block to body....but still it's the same.

Right now I have a new battery, being charged since last night and am trying to get some more info before going out tonight to re-try.
Any advice??:headscrat

Old 06-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Does it turn over easier if its hot, cold or doesn't matter?
Sweet purchase though I too am from Saskatchewan actually also in Saskatoon, I also have a 1946 Mercury 1/2 ton project.
I hate sending you on a wild goose chase, but I'm going to assume it's the starter unless it is only hard to turn over when hot.

Old 06-02-2008, 09:43 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Thanks Snowking (good handle for a SK-awanite!)....It does it all the time - after a winters storage outside, after a 2 hour drive home, with a new battery (killed it!), with a jump-start....the reason I didn't change the starter ealier (besides being lazy!) was that the guy I bought it from listed the things done and a new rblt starter was on the list...but I do believe you are right and will change it out this week and let you know!
Do you belong to a Ford club in S'toon? Any good Ford/Mercury resources to share (good mechanic, parts places, etc)? Also, would like to see pics of your projects/shop! I'm also on Garage Journal - a great site with a great commuity.
Thanks!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:50 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
I had the same problem with a flathead. I bought a new battery (6 volt) and it didn't want to turn the motor at all. But you put 12 volt to it and it would start everytime. So I just converted it to 12 volt and it took care of it. It's easy tconvert them over and it don't cost much at all. Most expensive thing was converting my generator and it was only 30 bucks to have the 12 volt coils put in it. You can do it in a evening and be back on the road the next day.

Scott

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
BTW, Very nice truck. You don't see them in that kind of shape very much anymore.

Scott B.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:30 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Thanks Scott! Can you give me a quick overview of what's needed for the conversion? With the current problem I'm guessing it's the starter. If you had the same problem, did you replace/rebuild the starter when you switched to 12V?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:02 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
If your starter is good or even if you rebuild it you don't have to do anything to the starter. It will work fine just like it is for 6v or 12 v. You need a 12 volt coil, relay and regulater. As far as your generater goes you can run the truck with doing nothing to the generater, But the problem I had was at night the gen wouldn't keep my battery charged right. So I would have your 6v field coils changed to 12v field coils. I took mine to a alternator/generator shop and it only costed me 30 dollars and I had it back in 30 mins. Don't forget to change all your lights out on your truck to 12v. Your 6v wiring will be fine b/c 6v wire is bigger or carries more than 12v. Assuming your 6v wire is in good shape. I didn't change the wiring on my truck b/c it was good enough for the time being. I will take care of it though. Don't let people at the shops try to tell you that you need to do this or that to the gen, ALL you need to do to it is have the field coils changed out. I had a guy try to redo the whole thing and charge be a crap load to do it. It has been a bit since I done the conversion so if I think of anything eles I'll get back with you. One more thing when you get all this done remember to pulverize your regulator and generator together. Keep us posted on your progress. If you need anymore help just let me know.

Scott B.

Old 06-03-2008, 10:41 PM
e-tek
Elder User
Thanks Scott. I took the starter in tonight and he said the change-over to 12V wasn't much either. I'm not 100% sure I want to though - if I could get the 6V system running good I'd leave it 'cuase I think it's interesting...
Also - what do you mean by "pulverize" ? I'm not much of an electrical guy (but learning fast!) so didn't know the term.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:46 PM
restoringmy46
Elder User
All that does is set your regulater really. Even if you buy and put a new 6v reg on your truck you will have to do this. If you don't it will make a loud clicking noise and you will think something is wrong with your motor then. It is real easy to do. You can do a search on here for a step by step process. Takes about 2 seconds to do it. But it has to be done so your charging system will work right. I have it saved on my computer hoe to do it, it's been about 2 yrs since I have done it myself. I can look it up and tell your how and where you can find and read up on it your self if you would like me to. Or you can go to the 48-60 section here and make a new post of it and there will be a bunch of guys who can bring up a step by step how to do it also, really all you do is you have 3 hook ups on the bottom of your reg, and all you do is take a piece of wire and touch both termnals together and you should get a faint blue spark. If you do then you just pulverised your system or set it to work right. Let me know and I can get how to do it right b/c you will have to do it one day for sure with 6v or 12v.

Scott B.

Old 06-04-2008, 12:17 AM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by e-tek
Thanks Scott. I took the starter in tonight and he said the change-over to 12V wasn't much either. I'm not 100% sure I want to though - if I could get the 6V system running good I'd leave it 'cuase I think it's interesting...
Also - what do you mean by "pulverize" ? I'm not much of an electrical guy (but learning fast!) so didn't know the term.
One old school trick is to just put in a 8 volt battery. The 6V generator charges it fine and it turns over the motor niceNquick. but if you want a CD deck or something big like that then you need a 12V alternator.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:38 PM
petey shoes
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e-tek, i have a post on 48-60 on how to polarise regulator. don,t change starter as 6-volt will spin faster and never die using 12-volt! i would suggest changing brushes in generator along with field coils and, seeing as your going that far, why not make sure bearings/ bushings are sound. don,t forget solenoid ! if keeping original starter, make sure it's not bound up, (mounted crooked?), and make sure it is clean internally. do you have 6-volt cables from battery to starter? 8 or 10 guage is correct! 12- volt cables have too much resistance! LOTS of competent mechanics on 48-60 forum with very good information, check them out!!! by the way, SHARP TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:53 AM
5 Star
Elder User
Pety is right on the cables. I make up my own from welding cable and soldered battery terminals. I use the 00 Guage wire, and with the 6 volt you have to make sure that the connections are clean at every point.
You can tell if there is a poor connections by feeling the cables, if there hot or warm that is the one that has improper ground.
If your jump starting with a 12 volt don't hook up the jumper cables to the Battery. Instead hook them up as the to the polarization Pos Ground. So take the pos and clamp it on a head stud or some other good ground. Than the negative directly to the starter. Make sure that the truck is in nuetral, so it doesen't take off on you. With ignition switch on touch the starter with the Neg cable.
Reason for this is you are only putting 6 volt to the ignition, 12 volt may burn the points or worse.
By doing it the way I have explained it you will be safe as far as burning something.
Go to Princess Auto, if your in Canada, and get a 6 Volt Tractor Battery, I use the 940 Cranking amps, and have never had any problems with a 6 volt system, providing all is in good repair.
As for Polarizing your Regulator, take a piece of wire 6-8 inches long or longer if you have a test lead, touch the 2 outside terminals on the Regulator, you will get a spark then its all done. Don't leave the wires on it just touch till it sparks.
By the way nice Truck, I would love to have that one.

Old 06-05-2008, 08:27 PM
Snowking
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by e-tek
Do you belong to a Ford club in S'toon? Any good Ford/Mercury resources to share (good mechanic, parts places, etc)? Also, would like to see pics of your projects/shop!
There is a guy named Keith Lee in Saskatoon he is a absoulute expert of Ford Flatheads he runs a buisness souly on Flathead motors and Ford Mercury vehichles made around them. He is my biggest source/supplier. I think he also does work on the motors too. He sells worldwide and has articles on every popular flathead rescource. Anything you need or can think of for your 46 he either has or can get.
There is a Ford/Merc car club starting up in Saskatoon. I think Fomoko1 has friends in that club. But really for clubs I belong too is just the Saskatchewan/Manitoba FTE forum. We try to have meetings and to make it to all the cruises. I really am enjoying the guys we got here, great group once you get to know them better in person (if you decide to stick around)
As for pictures I do have several galleries on this site, but most of them aren't updated.

Old 06-05-2008, 11:32 PM
e-tek
Elder User
I checked starter IN the truck before pulling it. Jumped from Neg right to starter and nothing...which is why I then pulled it. I had also checked Voltage at Batt (6.4V) at reg (same) and at starter (same)...when cranking (well, it wasn;t cranking, but I was pushing starter button under reg.)
Again, the 6V is all new to me, so who knows if I even really did what I think I did! Now that I write this I can't be sure which %#%# lead I used!
I also checked the batt cables today - both are thick and newer. Did an Ohms resistance check and got 0.
I pick up starter tomorrow and will be re-installing and poler/pulver - ising AFTER re-reading all these posts!!
Anything to add - please do!

Old 06-06-2008, 09:42 AM
5 Star
Elder User
Yes forgot about Keith he is also a good supplier, and a great guy stands behind what he sells.
When your or you get your engine running the charging system on 6 Volt should be puting out 7.2 back into the Battery.

E-Tek
Here is the run down simple again, if jump starting with 12 Volt. Have the battery completly disconnected from the 12 Volt Vehicle, or a Battery by itself, make sure you do this.

Pos goes to Pos. on Batteries
Neg. to Starter.

Again make sure Truck is not in gear, turn on ignition switch. Then hook the Neg to Starter.
The Starter will turn over as long as you have the Power to it.
Also this by passes the Ignition System, and you don't fry your Points.

Quick Reply: 46 Flathead Hard to turn over - pls help!