2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spill in truck interior

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 05:07 PM
amsolis2006
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Spill in truck interior

Hey, everybody.

Oh, you are going to love this one. Now, I know this probably hasn't happened to anyone, but............

I took my battery in to have it checked, when it tilted and some of the acid spilled onto my carpet. I tried my best to clean it up, but now it seems I can't even get rid of that acid smell.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to (1) clean the mess up the best I can and (2) get rid of that stench?

I would appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thanks!

Old 06-01-2008, 05:12 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Baking soda?

Originally Posted by amsolis2006
Hey, everybody.

Oh, you are going to love this one. Now, I know this probably hasn't happened to anyone, but............

I took my battery in to have it checked, when it tilted and some of the acid spilled onto my carpet. I tried my best to clean it up, but now it seems I can't even get rid of that acid smell.

Any suggestions as to what I can do to (1) clean the mess up the best I can and (2) get rid of that stench?

I would appreciate any help you all can give me.

Thanks!
Baking soda will neutralize the acid and keep it from eating the carpet any further, I'd guess...I've always used it to clean battery terminals since I was a kid and we had to clean the batteries on our dinosaurs.

I'm guessing that soaking down the carpet with a baking soda paste may also help with the odors, and when it dries, maybe sprinkling with baking soda and vacuuming a bunch of times (baking soda soaks up odors in the fridge).

There may be better products for the smell, but first get rid of any remaining acidity...

George

Old 06-01-2008, 05:58 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
I concur....Baking Soda

Old 06-01-2008, 08:17 PM
fireman28
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3 for baking soda. Apply it as a paist and let it soak, soak with water, wet/dry vac it out, and do it again. You may even look at pulling the carpet up and cleaning under it.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:36 AM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
Just to be a smart ***, don't we all drive pickup trucks? Isn't the bed to put stuff in??

Again, baking soda. I actually pulled my carpet out of my Crew when one of my sons got sick driving back from Florida one Easter. It was all under my driver's Seat. Took it out and shampooed it and can't even tell. No odor left. Sorry to hear about your spill..

Old 06-02-2008, 07:38 PM
FatalErrorz
Senior User
Originally Posted by Twinsdad98
Just to be a smart ***, don't we all drive pickup trucks? Isn't the bed to put stuff in??

Again, baking soda. I actually pulled my carpet out of my Crew when one of my sons got sick driving back from Florida one Easter. It was all under my driver's Seat. Took it out and shampooed it and can't even tell. No odor left. Sorry to hear about your spill..
Well, I have no IDEA why he put a battery in the cab either, but ya' know....I was merely answering the question...(I'd NEVER put a battery in the cab myself)