1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Newbie with electrical ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2008, 12:14 PM
OKFord
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Newbie with electrical ???

Hey everyone. New here but have been reading all the posts concerning electrical problems and am not sure that I can pinpoint mine yet. Anyway...my 2003 F150 4.6L Supercrew, 80,000 miles just started intermittently not turning over.
Monday : Had recalled Cruise Control wiring replaced.

Wednesday: Started truck and ABS light flashed, radio turned on/off, truck stalling at same time when gas applied. Drove short distance to house. Restarted and drove...no repeat.

Thursday AM: Drive short distance to work..nothing wrong. Go to leave shortly after and hear a clicking sound from under the stearing column...truck won't crank...no lights, no theft light, no radio. Look at, and mess with battery cables....truck starts and no more clicking noise. Call dealership and ask if anyone else had experienced this after the recall replacement..."no, sounds like a ignition switch problem."

Friday: Same problems. More clicking, no power, more power stalling and hay wirey gauges. Checked all fuses, terminals clean, ground wires solid. But tapping on the break would cease the clicking noise temporarily...only to start back up.

Problem not as frequent now, but haven't been driving as much. Is it just coincedence with the Recall Wiring, or do you guys think I'm overlooking something? Any help and suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Sorry so long.

Old 05-26-2008, 06:09 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Is it just coincedence with the Recall Wiring, or do you guys think I'm overlooking something?
It is a coincidence. There's nothing remotely related to the recall that would cause your set of symptoms short of sabotage and the dealer guys just don't have the time for that.

I'd pull the kick panels, especially the driver's side one, and inspect the ground connections there. Sounds like one of them may have failed due to corrosion.

Steve

Old 05-26-2008, 08:41 PM
Lavern
Senior User
On your starter there should be a plastic cap over your ground...rip it off, all it does is build up corrosion. Clean up the ground on your starter and see what that does for you.

Old 05-26-2008, 09:55 PM
OKFord
New User
Thanks for the replies! Very greatful for them.

Lavern, I took the red plastic cap off of the starter and everything seemed very clean. But I will give it a second look just in case. Thanks.

projectSHO89, that's one thing that I have not done yet. I'm going to go investigate that right now. Appreciate the suggestion.

Old 05-27-2008, 04:23 PM
Lavern
Senior User
No problem....I also suggest getting some rust check or something similar and spray some grounds and connections just to keep corrosion down. I spray every connection on my truck once a year.