Truck Will not Shift out of Park

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2008, 09:33 PM
mavfan2977
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Will not Shift out of Park

Hi all,
I was running an errand today, parked my truck, left it running, got back in, and it will not shift out of park. It feels like I am not pressing on the brake, just stuck. There is a little play in it, but it never releases to the other gears.
I then noticed my ABS light is on and my wipers and both windows stopped working (which I found I had a blown fuse (5A), then blew another trying to fix it.)

Now, I am assuming something took out my fuses. I have an idea after talking to a few people, but want to see what ideas you all have.

Thoughts?
2001 F150 4.6L V8

Mavsfan

Old 05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
triton_2002
Postmaster
the brake switch (don't remember the right name for it) that detects you have your foot on the brake before you can shift out of park probably went bad or the wire may have shorted out. Look under the dash along the brake pedal arm

Old 05-23-2008, 10:01 PM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Received 874 Likes on 726 Posts
Throw your ideas on out there. We'll comment on them.

Otherwise, looking for previous threads should include SEARCHiing for such keywords as "shift interlock owners manual fuse brake switch" or some combination thereof will tell you what's going on.

Yours is a relatively commonly discussed issue.

It would also help if you specifically identified WHICH fuse is blowing.

Steve

Old 05-23-2008, 10:36 PM
mavfan2977
New User
Thanks Guys...
The brake switch is what I found online a few times and I asked the service dept at Pep Boys and they thought it was probably that also.

Steve,
sorry for the fuse naming....I'll try to expand on the fuse issue.
The fuse that blew is Fuse 18 (5A). Now, I do not know what that fuse is. The Haynes manual I got says nothing of the listing and I am not with my truck(Another manual is there also). At any rate, its Fuse 18 that blew...maybe since my wipers and windows do not work, it may control them along with a couple of other things I didn't notice yet.

I plan on replacing the brake switch tomorrow ($11.99), it would be nice if that's what it was. Just the strangest thing, when it wouldn't shift. I will definitely post back with the fix. If there are any other questions, please feel free to ask. Hopefully this thread helps someone else.

Jason

Old 05-24-2008, 06:16 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Fuse F18 provides the power for the instrument panel and switch illumination. It's not part of the shift lock circuit. Neither is it involved in either the window or wipers. Those are likely a different issue. Has it been raining? Leaky windshield have been a common source of electrical problems

The shift lock uses the circuits F5 & F15.

Steve

Old 05-24-2008, 08:43 AM
mavfan2977
New User
No, it hasn't rained. Could the switch be bad and cause my blown fuses?

I notice that my light on the back of my truck cab does not come on when I unlock the truck. I will replace the switch today and then the fuses and go from there with regards to the wipers and windows. Once the truck wouldn't shift, I then noticed the windows issues, then the wipers...
Do you have a diagram of the fuse box? I do have another issue I found, Fuse 25 will not stay in place. It doesn't fit snug into its slot. I am assuming the fuse cover holds it in place, but without the cover, it will just fall out. Its not blown, but the slot seems to be widened (if thats a word) or too big. Not sure how long its been that way, but I found it once I removed the fuse cover.

Jason

Old 05-24-2008, 09:22 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Someone may have used a fuse tap on that loose fuse. Taps spread the contact legs and keep them from gripping the blades of the fuse. You can usually bent the contacts back into position with a scribing tool.

Fuse layout is in the owner's manual, downloadable from Ford's website.

I think you have multiple problems. The wipers, windows, and courtesy lamps are all controlled by the GEM module. It, and the fuse panel, are often damaged by driver's-side windshield leaks, an all too common occurrence.

Have to leave for work, good luck.

Steve

Old 05-24-2008, 10:29 AM
eallanboggs
Elder User
Ask yourself why fuses blow? Due to overloads(probably not your problem) and shorts to ground(more likely). A bad switch will NOT blow a fuse. It can only be open(never work) or shorted(internally shorted, not shorted to ground-there a big difference between those two types of shorts). You must have a wire or teminal touching on the chassis somewhere on the circuit that is protected by the F18 fuse. You have to disconnect everything on that circuit and replace the fuse. You then start reconnecting the items you disconnected until the fuse blows. At this point you've narrowed the items you have to look at down considerably. Look for a pinched wire or worn insulation that is allowing the conductor to touch ground.

Old 05-24-2008, 12:45 PM
BlueOvalFitter
Cargo Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

When I had my 97 F150 I had the same problem.I thought the BOO (brake/on/off) switch was bad so I bought a new one.Upon replacing it I found the switch connection wires were broke and were grounding out.After fixing the wires I hooked the connector back to the original switch and it worked! I brought the other switch back and got my money back!

Old 05-24-2008, 05:44 PM
fireball 440
Elder User
You can still shift if the brake switch is out. Turn the key to run and at the same time shift to nuetral. Gotta do it quick. This is a common issue on these trucks.

Old 05-25-2008, 07:12 AM
projectSHO89
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fireball 440
You can still shift if the brake switch is out. Turn the key to run and at the same time shift to nuetral. Gotta do it quick. This is a common issue on these trucks.

It's a lot easier just to follow the directions in the owner's manual.....

Old 05-25-2008, 11:29 AM
mavfan2977
New User
Yea,
I followed the manual (steve, I saw another post from you to someone else with the ford.fleet.com site. I was able to download the PDF from there) and drove it home. I will, at some point today, replace that switch (verify wires, etc). I will repost with the results...

Hope all is enjoying their Memorial Day Weekend...too humid here in Dallas...
Jason

Old 05-25-2008, 06:10 PM
mavfan2977
New User
Update!!!
Ok, I replaced the brake switch, fairly easy once the lower dash cover removed.

I then replaced the two blown 5A fuses I had. (Key is in the ignition, I hear the familiar door opened bell reminder). I turn the key to On, the windows and wipers both work. I start the truck, shift out of Park with ease, no issue. I then put it back in park, then boom. Same issue.
I then check fuse 15 again, blown.
I replace the fuse, everything comes to life, truck starts, then it blows again when I shift out of Park. Only when I shift out of park does it blow. The only other obvious error is that the ABS light is continuously on now.

Fuse 15 (according to my owners guide) controls:
Stop Lamp Switch
Speed Control
Brake Shift Interlock
GEM Module
RABS Module
At least now I have a repeatable scenario (and two 5A fuses left..haha) Does that RABS Module and my ABS light being on have something to do with the blowing of the fuses, shorting somewhere. I am assuming that RABS is rear anti lock brakes, so maybe something amiss there. Thoughts?

Thanks
Jason

Old 05-25-2008, 06:12 PM
mavfan2977
New User
Also,
I doubt my brake switch was ever really bad, under the scenario I am seeing. Looks like my ABS system is blowing my fuse. I don't understand why the shifting out of park causes it to blow, but then again, that's why I am on this forum.
At least I know how to change the brake switch.

Jason

Old 05-25-2008, 06:54 PM
mavfan2977
New User
Ok..Another Update..
I have figured out my problem.

If I disconnect the switch on the master cylinder, the issue goes away. The reason I suspected this was the ABS light and the fact that once I looked in that area, I noticed the switch was wet with what looked like brake fluid/oil? I disconnected it and tried it and it works fine everytime.
I then came in to check online and found that the cruise control recall (which I haven't done, I know, lazy) is a huge culprit with that blowing fuse 15, not allowing the truck to shift out of park.
My ABS light is still on, but the truck works as it should (shifting gears, wipers, windows, lights, sounds, etc).
I will take the truck to Ford on Tues/Wed for the recall issue. Fuse 15 controls the speed control, so its very possible that my lack of following up on the recall caught up with me in a wierd way.
I still welcome feedback, as I will continue to post the results of the Ford visit.

Thanks
Jason

Quick Reply: Truck Will not Shift out of Park