6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Would you get a 6.4, if you have nothing now?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2008, 10:12 PM
phill1060
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The high pressure fuel used by the 2008 scares me a little. When the injectors or fuel pump dies really bad things seem to happen to the engines and not cheap. Also with the 2007 6.0 you have years of working the bugs out and no DPF from the factory. It is really a preferance. If you simply need a truck to tow with and you are not a hound for performance the 6.0 will deliver all you need. Also be aware that if you buy a used 6.4 that it may be a job 1 (not bad on it's own, just be aware) and of course before you buy any truck run home and punch in the vin on here and get a repair history becuase you don't want someone's problem.

BTW I have a Job 2 6.4 and i have not had a problem yet. If I could do it over I would have gotten a 6.0 simply b/c of the price difference of a used vehicle (about 10k less). I also would get the manual.

Old 05-22-2008, 08:22 AM
WH90
Senior User
the 6.4 is doing better, keep in mind that it came from the 6.0 family, i have seen good and bad in everything but if you take care of it, it will take care of you, keep your eye on the water levels in the truck EGR coolers are known to go out in both engine familes but rarer in the 6.4, other than that i think there good but not near as reliable as the 7.3

Old 05-22-2008, 02:15 PM
NORTHLAND06
Senior User
Exclamation

When I bought my 06 F-250 with PSD I love it. It was sold truck and now with my F-450 I love it even more and it's great truck ye the mpg's suck, but I bought for towing my Monster trailer. Even thow the price diesel fuel is at $4.51 a gallon today and getting worse!!!

Old 05-30-2008, 02:17 PM
MonicaT1972
New User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love mine, when I wrote my first one off I was in the dealership getting another the second I had the insurance cheque in my hands!

I now buy for safety though not looks. I hit a tree doing 85 and I walked away. I'll post pics when I get a few spare minutes.

Old 05-30-2008, 04:01 PM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by MonicaT1972
I love mine, when I wrote my first one off I was in the dealership getting another the second I had the insurance cheque in my hands!

I now buy for safety though not looks. I hit a tree doing 85 and I walked away. I'll post pics when I get a few spare minutes.
Poor tree, they are tough, glad you are ok

Old 05-30-2008, 11:21 PM
phill1060
Senior User
It is a good time to by one right now ...it frustrates me to see the current prices of a use one with under 10k going for less than 30k..a couple of dealers said right now they would give only 24k for one that just roled off the lot brad new...bad for current owners good for new to be owners

Old 06-01-2008, 08:32 PM
yukondiesel
Senior User
I'm seriously looking at an F-350 Lariat crew-cab/long bed. Its a Job1 with an April 07 build date and 25K miles. What should concerned about and looking for on the truck Where can I enter the VIN to see the maintenance and repair history? Did Ford already switch engine suppliers or is that a future thing?

I am a LONG time GM driver and have concerns about moving over to the "F" camp.

But that F-350 sure is a nice truck.

Old 06-01-2008, 11:46 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by yukondiesel
I'm seriously looking at an F-350 Lariat crew-cab/long bed. Its a Job1 with an April 07 build date and 25K miles. What should concerned about and looking for on the truck Where can I enter the VIN to see the maintenance and repair history? Did Ford already switch engine suppliers or is that a future thing?

I am a LONG time GM driver and have concerns about moving over to the "F" camp.

But that F-350 sure is a nice truck.
If you give me the vin i can ge the oasis report for you.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:21 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Hi Sanddemon08:
Do you want it posted here or in an email to you? I REALLY appreciate your doing this for me!

Old 06-02-2008, 10:18 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Oasis request?

Originally Posted by SANDDEMON08
If you give me the vin i can ge the oasis report for you.

You should have mail...

Old 06-02-2008, 10:06 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by yukondiesel
You should have mail...
You should have recieved the info i sent you.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:44 AM
yukondiesel
Senior User
Thanks Sanddemon08. I got it. the truck looks pretty clean as far as warranty work goes. From what I've read, that radiator thing seems common on this year and build (job1). I REALLY appreciate yopur effort...Regards...joe

Old 06-04-2008, 02:14 PM
pugster
Senior User
Red face Maybe

Originally Posted by prenticect
I have been looking, well more waiting for the $$, on the new trucks. I know that Ford put a lot of research into the 6.4. Driving trucks well over a million miles. But I see this ticking issue being described here. This is the first time I have heard of any issues outside of the initial problems when they first came out.

Is the ticking really it, or are there other issues with this motor?

To make the decision more interesting, Ford is talking about their new motor in 2010. That motor will be theirs, not Harvister's.

You just want to get a decent vehicle, but the mentioned ticking problems have me worried. Plus the new motor coming out soon... Just not sure what is the best option here.

My timetable is end of the year to get one... I love the interior and options on the 08, which is why I am not too oexcited about getting an 04-07 one.

Opinions?
I don't know about the ticking - diesels make noise. I've never wondered about mine. We bought a Honda Accord Monday to take care of my fuel cost problem. If diesel was priced as it was in March of 2007 (cheaper than regular unleaded at that time) when I bought my truck, I'd do it all over again. Never have I enjoyed driving a vehicle more than my F250. That includes a Camaro, a Chevy & GMC pickup, and a couple of Dodge Darts (don't laugh - outran a lot of Camaros & Trans-Ams).

If I had nothing now, I would have to look really hard at the gas engines. My 2 cents ...

Old 06-04-2008, 02:26 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by prenticect
I have been looking, well more waiting for the $$, on the new trucks. I know that Ford put a lot of research into the 6.4. Driving trucks well over a million miles. But I see this ticking issue being described here. This is the first time I have heard of any issues outside of the initial problems when they first came out.

Is the ticking really it, or are there other issues with this motor?

To make the decision more interesting, Ford is talking about their new motor in 2010. That motor will be theirs, not Harvister's.

You just want to get a decent vehicle, but the mentioned ticking problems have me worried. Plus the new motor coming out soon... Just not sure what is the best option here.

My timetable is end of the year to get one... I love the interior and options on the 08, which is why I am not too oexcited about getting an 04-07 one.

Opinions?
I dont think the ticking problem is a issue. I have close to 20,000 miles on my truck and it has had the tick since my first oil change. I pull oil samples off ever oil change and have a lab check it out as part of our fleet maintence progam and it has always come back very good.

I would be a little leary of the new 2010 engine tell they get a few miles under their belt and the motor proves itself and ford gets the techs up to date on repairing them.

I would hands down do it again, i keep all my trucks well past the 150,000 mark and i see no reason why this truck wont do it.

Old 06-07-2008, 02:39 PM
Traakon
New User
I have to admit, I would be hard pressed to make the same easy choice today as I did when I bought my new Super Duty a few months back. Mind you, I love the new interior over my'03 F-350 w/ the 6.0 manual. When the clutch went out and it needed a new turbo, the thought was "put the money in the '03 or in a new '08".

Now Ford will not warranty my use of Bio diesel above 5% and the mileage, which was the only saving grace to the '03 (22mpg for a crew 4x4) absolutely sucks. I honestly might have considered a RAM w/ the Cummings a lot more seriously.

Only time will tell if I made the right long term choice...such is as with most things.

Quick Reply: Would you get a 6.4, if you have nothing now?