1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Rustproofing opinions

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2001, 10:56 PM
wmcnally
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rustproofing opinions

I don't know if this is the proper forum but I posted on the "bodywork" forum and got no answer. I'm looking for opinions on rustproofing/undercoating and/or soundproofing (undercoat). Does Ziebart do good work? Who does?

Does it make sense to do this anymore? I've read that "newer" cars and trucks don't need it and it might actually do more HARM than good.

I just bought a low mileage '98 E-150 in showroom condition and would like to keep it that way. If it really is good and worth the money I will rustproof and undercoat/soundproof the truck. Thanks in advance for your opinions.

wmcnally

Old 08-04-2001, 09:36 AM
Ripman
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rustproofing opinions

i had mine sprayed where i bought it ,, its a honey like substance and lasts two to three years..... worth every penny in the land of snow and salt.

Old 08-06-2001, 03:11 PM
white99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rustproofing opinions

Old 08-06-2001, 03:34 PM
JimCaudill
Junior User
Rustproofing opinions

Again, your personal opinion is all that matters. As I understand it, new vehicles have been using galvanized steel for rust protection. Much of the rust comes from water that is trapped between two "skins" and can't escape. Drain holes have been placed in areas such as the doors to allow moisture to escape. Zeibart had its day and I use to be a real proponnent of their service, but not with todays "rust thru" 5 year warranties and new metal treatments. The gooey tar-like substance can clog the afrementioned drain holes and makes working under the hood or working on the chassis a real mess. I also don't care for having holes drilled in my truck and plugged with little pieces of plastic. I would rather just try and keep my truck rinsed of road salt as best I can and go from there. In some regions of the country, folks may really be sold on Zeibart type treatments - and it may work for their climate, but here in southern Ohio, I think I'd pass on any aftermarket rust-proofing. Lastly, they don't claim to prevent rust, they will pay to have it fixed if rust-thru does occur within their warranty period. Much the same as the factory warranty.

Old 08-06-2001, 05:24 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Rustproofing opinions

Ditto on what Jim said.

When I bought my 88 4X4 Ranger brand new, they really pressured me to apply the treatment. I declined it (costs them $25 bucks to apply but they wanted to charge me >$200). I did wax under the rocker panels and inside the wheel wheels every fall. The truck is still pretty much rust free and has seen several winters of salt.

I also believe in spraying the underside of a vehicle off as soon as it is practical, after driving through the salt.

My 98 has not been treated and I don't wax under it. I still rinse it real good after exposure to salt though.

98 F250LD 4X4

Old 08-06-2001, 11:15 PM
wmcnally
Senior User
Rustproofing opinions

Jim and Ultra,

Thank you for your opinions. I think I'll skip the rustproofing. I live downstate New York and have snow and salt
only a few times a season. Feb. seems to be worst but for the last few years Feb's have been mild (Global warming? is fine as far as I'm concerned...LOL). I guess I'll just run it through the car wash after each snowfall and give it the once-a-year "detail". Any comment on the "soundproofing"?

Thanks Again,

wmcnally