Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Why?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 02:15 AM
wantaford
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Rear Disc Brake Conversion - Why?

I know this topic has been beat to death but I have searched and searched and can not find the info I am looking for.

Can someone tell me why the factory Ford parts on a '99+ Superduty rear disc brakes can not be adapted to a 80's - 97 Ford F250/350? I know TSM and some others make kits to make it work - but I would rather have Ford parts than GM parts on my truck. That TSM kit looks so Mickey Mouse. The only problme I can think of is the bolt pattern on the rotors is metric on the Superduties and the older trucks are standard. Has anyone tried this? Any Problems or Concerns?

Old 05-19-2008, 02:49 AM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I brought this subject up to a while ago, converting to rear discs are not worth the overall cost vs. real world effectiveness.
As far as using newer parts, there may have been a mix of Sterling and Dana rear ends at that time. Try upgrading fronts to better rotors and pads with upgraded rear shoes.
Most stopping uses the front end of the truck, so a good front braking system maybe worth it. I think NASCAR/racing teams utilize the same principles on effective braking too.
Stainless Steel Brakes may have different conversions, but the set ups are expensive.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:27 AM
kaug23
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I would love to switch to rear disk on my 350. When I am backing my boat down the ramp the rear drums barely do anything. The front tires just barely keep traction and sometimes start to slide on the wet ramp. The rear brakes are all new with Ford parts and are adjusted properly. Drums just don't do much in reverse.

That said, it was much worse when I used to use my Tahoe with drum brakes. I would sometimes slide half way down the ramp while standing on the brake pedal and everyone running the other direction. I knew that I would stop as soon as the trailer hit the water, but the look on peoples faces was something I could never describe.

Old 05-19-2008, 11:36 AM
wantaford
Tuned
I have a '96 F-350 and run big tires and would like more stopping power. I am just hopping someone has done this rear disc conversion using newer Ford components. Besides, I hate working on drum brakes!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:33 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
front brakes do most of the stopping, improve those.

Old 09-07-2008, 04:19 PM
wantaford
Tuned
I found a great link for using OE parts to do the rear disc conversion. I am still on the hunt to find something easier but in the mean time this has some great information:

fordmann.com | Home

fordmann.com | F-350: Sterling Rear Disc Conversion