Sponsored by: Moser

2009 5.4L horsepower leaked

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:35 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by SMIGGS
Yes, but the competition ( Toyota and Nissan ) that is utilizing an OHC design, it's in a DOHC configuration. I'm not talking the exact motor in the Cobra R, but something as easy as different cams can make a world of difference for a truck motor....
With the variable cam timing technology that's been in these trucks since 2004 that's far less of an issue these days. Once they have a good profile for emissions optimizing the timing for idle, mid and peak power is no longer an issue. Its one of the reasons the current engine reaches 80% of peak torque at 1000 rpm, unlike its predecessor in the 1997-2004 F150.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:39 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fosters
Ford said their numbers would shock the fans and the competition. shockingly low, yep. considering most people get double that power than that with a cold air intake and a tuner, I for one am not impressed. And far away from shocked.
Not in this universe. You won't get double those numbers even with a supercharger on a stock block.

Old 05-19-2008, 06:46 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by GMconvert
I basically don't like automatic transmissions, at least in current form. Any transmission using a fluid coupling is not as efficient as gear-on-gear (traditional manual transmissions). Granted the new auto's have improved greatly, but I'd still take the manual first.
Have you seen the MPG ratings of Ford manuals verses autos? The V8 automatic has essentially the same mileage as the 4.2 V6 manual. The transmissions use locking torque converters which eliminates the fluid coupling the majority of the time. Plus they have higher towing capabilities. Gone are the days where manuals had an edge. The computers know optimimal shifting points for mileage, the torque multiplying effect of the converter helps non-rolling starts and the locking torque converter eliminates fluid couplings. Modern automatics ain't like they were in your grand-father's or father's era.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:07 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 80broncoman
I have a 185 hp Ford truck that weighs 10,700 pounds empty. It will pull another 20k just fine or haul 10k on the bed. and it will do this without even a whimper. It not quick by any measure. But I could not care less. (My truck is a 89 F-Superduty)
I said that to point out this:
I simply find it silly that most people think they NEED 300 HP to tow a 5k lb boat or haul 3k lbs of sand.
If I need to tow a normal size boat or haul a load of sand or gravel I'll use my 77 F-150.
Why have people been sold on the idea that a half ton truck has to have 350HP? this is just not needed.
I'll put an F150 pulling 10K of weight up a 7 percent incline against your 1989 Super Duty and it'll leave you behind every time, maintaining speed a heck of a lot easier.

How does your truck weigh 10K pounds unless its a dump truck? Even the newer and much heavier Super Duty doesn't weigh that much. Additionally, the Super Duty pickups didn't have a tow capacity of 20K in 1989... they have a rating of 25K now. And, your truck is not capable of hauling 10K in the bed, unless you've done something special to the springs. Again, assuming its not a dump truck!

I understand your appreciation for your older truck, but I'm calling BS on that post.

The fact is the current F150 is more capable than an F250 was 20 years ago and its not a matter of what people need. Its a matter of what they want. If it were all about need 99% of the population would be riding scooters.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:13 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FTE Ken
Not in this universe. You won't get double those numbers even with a supercharger on a stock block.
i'm talking about the gains, not double the whole output of the motor. 40hp/50tq is pretty obtainable with a cai and tune..

Old 05-19-2008, 07:14 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
With Fuel prices where there at. This "Mine is faster than Yours" mentality is downright stupid.

I'll say it again. Lighten the damn thing back to a reasonable weight. Install a fuel efficient 250 HP engine, and leave the heavy hauling to the F250.

Ford would be killing the competition, IF They would do it.
the ranger has a 207hp engine, is more fuel efficient than the F150 and is lighter. why didn't you buy one?

Old 05-19-2008, 07:15 AM
FTE Ken
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
The lightning was 500 hp. I wish they would bring those back. Are the roushes 500hp?
Just under 450HP. With a good tune and pulley change it adds nearly 70 HP (no kidding, its one of the best HP increases of any supercharged Ford for such simple swaps).

Old 05-19-2008, 07:28 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
People "wanting" trucks are going away....

The fact is the current F150 is more capable than an F250 was 20 years ago and its not a matter of what people need. Its a matter of what they want. If it were all about need 99% of the population would be riding scooters.
We'll wait until the 2008 and 2009 sales numbers are in, but people who "want" a truck that is a gigantic limousine with a 500 hp engine are going to be a thing of the past. "Wearing" a big showoff truck/SUV is no longer going to be hip...

People who *need* trucks will have a tremendous selection of 1-3 year old trucks for bargain-basement prices; these will have been traded in (or turned in off lease) by the "truck as tough outdoor apparel/faux hotrod" people above.

The world is changing because of energy prices; I'm just the messenger here, so don't blame me. Sales numbers will carry the message.
George

Old 05-19-2008, 08:45 AM
80broncoman
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll put an F150 pulling 10K of weight up a 7 percent incline against your 1989 Super Duty and it'll leave you behind every time, maintaining speed a heck of a lot easier.

How does your truck weigh 10K pounds unless its a dump truck? Even the newer and much heavier Super Duty doesn't weigh that much. Additionally, the Super Duty pickups didn't have a tow capacity of 20K in 1989... they have a rating of 25K now. And, your truck is not capable of hauling 10K in the bed, unless you've done something special to the springs. Again, assuming its not a dump truck!

I understand your appreciation for your older truck, but I'm calling BS on that post.

Well you are close to right my truck has a steel rollback bed on it. But it will haul 10k on the bed in fact it has hauled 12.5k on the bed at one time.
As far as you leaving me behind up a hill, I don't really care. and Never did.
Under a real heavey load mine will most likely get better MPG.
I just think the average joe has been brainwashed into thinking he has to have the biggest, badest, newest thing on the road.
But not every average joe.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:55 AM
excaliber551
Elder User
Originally Posted by fonefiddy
With Fuel prices where there at. This "Mine is faster than Yours" mentality is downright stupid.

I'll say it again. Lighten the damn thing back to a reasonable weight. Install a fuel efficient 250 HP engine, and leave the heavy hauling to the F250.

Ford would be killing the competition, IF They would do it.
I agree and I've totally come around to you line of reasoning. Jeesh, Ford can't compete with the others when it comes to HP and MPG's. They might as well downsize the engine and lighten up the truck so it get's great MPG's and still has a 6.5' bed.

I'd be interested in one of those.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:03 AM
tjthegreat
Elder User
I agree its amazing how fords got all this power in the last 10-15 years but havent managed to do a damn thing about mpgs

Old 05-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Ryan50hrl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by '68EB
If you want the best offroader why would you buy a pick up truck???

There are many better off roaders out ther then a pick up like broncos both old and newer and jeeps especially teh Rubicon.

because peeple want the best in class HP doesnt meen they want to go fast.

Maybe thay want better exceleration. better towing up grades.

My early bronco has a mildly built 351 with 5.13 gears. Its not fast but I love the power and quickness.

Thank you for the major laffs though. You are so funny that only your opinion or reasons matter to every truck buyer.

I guess all Lightining and SRT10 buyers were dumb to you.

I dont want a Tundra even thow my friend has one and it is a great and very quick truck.

But I do want a Ford that can at least keep up with teh latest compettion.
1. I'll disagree here....theres a reason you don't see alot of short wheelbase vehicles in mud, longer wheelbase trucks work better in mud bogs...

2. If you really cared about acceleration or towing....why don't you complain about torque...as thats what actually gets the job done there..... Semi's out there have 4-500 hp...and can pull far more than you'll ever tow with a pickup... so i'll ask again, do you need 400 hp, or are you just playing into the hp wars?

3. No...lightning and srt10 owners aren't stupid....they bought LIMITED EDITION trucks....not run of the mill daily drivers.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by excaliber551
I agree and I've totally come around to you line of reasoning. Jeesh, Ford can't compete with the others when it comes to HP and MPG's. They might as well downsize the engine and lighten up the truck so it get's great MPG's and still has a 6.5' bed.

I'd be interested in one of those.
sooo have you looked at a ranger lately?

I see nothing but a bunch of people complaining that the F150 is too big, but at the same time the ranger is dying because of no sales. wtf gives?

Old 05-19-2008, 10:33 AM
Fosters
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by YoGeorge
We'll wait until the 2008 and 2009 sales numbers are in, but people who "want" a truck that is a gigantic limousine with a 500 hp engine are going to be a thing of the past. "Wearing" a big showoff truck/SUV is no longer going to be hip...
They've been calling the doomsday of the trucks and SUVs for years now. in a few months I'm going shopping for a V10...

Once the whole globe realizes global warming is a sham, and once they start drilling in ND or alaska or wherever, opec will be forced to lower their prices, and i'm willing to bet you nobody will complain about 14mpg anymore.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:58 AM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Fosters
They've been calling the doomsday of the trucks and SUVs for years now. in a few months I'm going shopping for a V10...

Once the whole globe realizes global warming is a sham, and once they start drilling in ND or alaska or wherever, opec will be forced to lower their prices, and i'm willing to bet you nobody will complain about 14mpg anymore.
Sure wish I had some of what you are drinking or smoking

Quick Reply: 2009 5.4L horsepower leaked