Sponsored by:

Paint Peeling Off Roof

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008, 06:54 AM
paul1910
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
peeling

i had a 2000 limited went to beach one day hopped up on rear bumber an was shocked entire roof was peeling .............only owned it for a couple of weeks so on my way home stopped at dealer asking them why didnt they notice this before it was delivered to me of course no one knew why but i did get them to paint entire roof a front fender, a front door and a new front bumper...........door and fender where scratched while roof was done so it went back for that. also entire vehicle was covered with overspray..windows/body so entire vehicle need to be cleaned and buffed...............bumper replaced due to some surface rust...and i bought the x used, also all power door actuators where replaced, got them to give me 2 more pats keys programed,and an additonal remote cost me nothing a lot of yelling and finger pointing but i got everything i wanted and an explorer for a two week rental so keep fighting you will prevail

Old 05-20-2008, 12:30 AM
mlshelton
Senior User
I took the "nice" approach as suggested here and contacted Ford directly via their web site (after having the dealer basically dismiss my paint claim). 2 days later I received their form-letter e-mail saying basically "we're sorry, can't help you." I replied politely that they don't understand the problem and please "elevate" my request to a supervisor. Again, another blanket reply saying they would, which was followed by a phone call from someone who does nothing but call people and say "no." Again, I politely asked that they give me someone with authority to "avoid legal issues." Today a "regional zone supervisor" called me, said he would be in the area in the next week or so and set an appointment to look at the vehicle. Again, I was polite (not always easy) so we'll see where it goes. He asked if I could meet with him at the dealership to look at the vehicle there - which of course I will. More as the saga continues...

Old 05-30-2008, 02:21 AM
mlshelton
Senior User
Update - Paint Job

Met at the dealership with body shop mgr and "zone regional assurance mgr" or something like that - they agreed to paint the truck "where necessary," meaning they wanted to take care of the roof and hood - agreed to paint the entire thing and we just have to work out a number - I'm going to be on the hook for about 30% of the cost it appears. Driving to OBX first week of July so going to wait until after because it will just get road dings. Thanks to you all who recommended this course of action...."nice" actually worked.

Old 05-30-2008, 03:25 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
That's good news! 30% is certainly better than 100%!

Old 06-27-2008, 02:22 AM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
I've finally drafted a letter to send to Ford and I thought I'd post it on here to see what you all think.

Here it is.

Hello, I am the current owner of a 2000 Ford Excursion which has been for the most part, trouble free, however there is one problem with my Excursion that I intend to address with this letter.
Currently, there are four rust spots on the roof of the Excursion that I know of, or that can be clearly seen, one of which leaks water into the cabin of the vehicle. Like I mentioned earlier, my Excursion has performed exceptionally well, with the exception of this flaw, which is absolutely unacceptable. The locations of these blemishes are in areas where there is no debris build up whatsoever, which leads me to believe that there was some type of issue with the paint or painting process on the roof of my Excursion.
With that said, what I am requesting is for a Ford representative come to any of the nearby dealerships in my area to evaluate the roof of my Excursion and determine the proper course of action that can be taken with this problem.
Just as a reminder heres my roof.

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1">Description: This is right above the C-pillar on the passenger side of the roof </TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD align=middle colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1" bg***************> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1">Description: Same area above the C-pillar </TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD align=middle colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1" bg***************> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1">Description: Passenger side roof rail towards the rear of the vehicle </TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD align=middle colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1" bg***************> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1">Description: At the top of the lift gate opening. Lift gate opened </TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD align=middle colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1" bg***************> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0 itxtvisited="1"><TBODY itxtvisited="1"><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD bgColor=#dfdfdf colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1">Description: Same area with lift gate closed </TD></TR><TR itxtvisited="1"><TD align=middle colSpan=2 itxtvisited="1" bg***************> </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Old 06-27-2008, 02:46 AM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
The letter sounds good. To me it sounds like your not mad and that you just want it fixed witch is good.

Old 06-27-2008, 05:02 AM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

I would request "that a representative come the a dealership to determine if the flaws are the result of the manufacturing/painting process or environmental."

Old 06-27-2008, 06:04 AM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
QUESTION FOR THE ENTIRE GROUP

Gawd - that's awful. I am curious to know 1) how much of a given day your EX's spend out-doors in the summer months, 2) WHERE you guys live who are having paint dis-integration issue, 3) WHERE ON THE VEHICLE are you incurring paint film and/or corrosion failure, and 4) what are the "years-of-production" - is this a fluke in a particular batch of production, or do we all have to start worrying?

Up until the 1960's, there were only two different types of paint chemistry (lacqueer and enamel). In both cases, if a vehicle was CONTINUALLY exposed to the sun, especially in the southern part of the country, we did not expect the paint to last more than 5-6 years before fading, cracking, and other signs of paint film failure showed up. With dramatially improved durability in recent years, maybe we are all getting spoiled ?

As for rust issues, all cars have vastly improved rust treatment at the factory - we didnt have this until about 30 years ago - we lucky folk who live outside the snow-belt used to have a fine time laughing at what happened to you snow-bunny types after a few years of winter driving. In Southern Calif. and Arizona, we simply dont see rust issues on ANY car of ANY year (unless,of course, they spent time in the snow-belt).

You wanna see rust damage ? Bet our members who live on the Hawaiin Islands could show you some pretty funny photos - out there, the soil is very corrosive - wife and I even have a name for the phenomena...we call em "Maui Cars"...!

Last edited by 6686L; 06-27-2008 at 06:05 AM. Reason: typo errors again !
Old 06-27-2008, 10:29 AM
WHT00EX
Junior User
Hey guys I to am having this problem. My paint is peeling rite above the passenger front door on the top of the truck. I wasn't to concerned about it because I also lifted my truck so tall that it couldn't be seen, but then I saw the pictures of aortizexcursion's truck and I got kinda worried. I will also be trying to contact Ford about this problem.

Old 06-27-2008, 12:19 PM
6686L
Elder User
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by WHT00EX
Hey guys I to am having this problem.
= = = =

Again,TELL us more - what YEAR is your EX - Do you garage it ? WHERE do you live ?

Which reminds me - was there only ONE final assembly plant for the EX ? Are these paint issues typical of ALL Ford final assembly plants ?

Bear in mind, guys, the traditional auto guarantee was for "90 days or 4,000 mi, whichever comes first". Then, about 20 or so years ago, gradually mfgs. started warranty extensions up to 2 and then 3 years, typically 30,000 mi. The fact that mfgs. are taking responsibility for even longer periods, shows how much better motor vehicles have gotten.

So - is it possible you guys with paint failures that are occuring AFTER five or so years of CONTINUED sun exposure, are asking too much of ANY paint chemistry ?

Old 06-27-2008, 12:31 PM
WHT00EX
Junior User
My EX is a 2000 limited I live in New Jersey and I wish I had a garage big enough to put it in lol. I did buy the truck in Virginia and since I bought it it hasn't snowed at all here. So I'm guessing it hasn't seen very much snow and salt if any at all.

Old 06-27-2008, 01:36 PM
FordTruckGirl77
Senior User
Originally Posted by 6686L
= = = =

Again,TELL us more - what YEAR is your EX - Do you garage it ? WHERE do you live ?

Which reminds me - was there only ONE final assembly plant for the EX ? Are these paint issues typical of ALL Ford final assembly plants ?

Bear in mind, guys, the traditional auto guarantee was for "90 days or 4,000 mi, whichever comes first". Then, about 20 or so years ago, gradually mfgs. started warranty extensions up to 2 and then 3 years, typically 30,000 mi. The fact that mfgs. are taking responsibility for even longer periods, shows how much better motor vehicles have gotten.

So - is it possible you guys with paint failures that are occuring AFTER five or so years of CONTINUED sun exposure, are asking too much of ANY paint chemistry ?
Funny this topic is up, the other day I was at my Moms dealership and they had 4 brand new Cobra Mustangs Orange with the silver strips all in Service. Come to find out today all 4 have rust!!! Nice huh!!! Brand new and they have rust. I cant wait to hear more about it. I do have other stories too Like the new Knight Rider Mustang with a door that belonged to a Conv Mustang was put on it from either at the Factory or at Saleen!!! And the new Flex on the lot has a door that was a different color than the rest of the car!!!! Now that is CRAZY!!!

Old 06-27-2008, 03:08 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Originally Posted by 6686L
You wanna see rust damage ? Bet our members who live on the Hawaiin Islands could show you some pretty funny photos - out there, the soil is very corrosive - wife and I even have a name for the phenomena...we call em "Maui Cars"...!
It's more the salt air for me. That's why I power-wash all my cars at least once a week. Sometimes more.

Old 06-27-2008, 03:54 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Monsta
I would request "that a representative come the a dealership to determine if the flaws are the result of the manufacturing/painting process or environmental."
Will definately keep that in mind, thanks.

Old 06-27-2008, 04:08 PM
aortizexcursion
Posting Guru
[quote=6686L;6291045]QUESTION FOR THE ENTIRE GROUP

Gawd - that's awful. I am curious to know 1) how much of a given day your EX's spend out-doors in the summer months, 2) WHERE you guys live who are having paint dis-integration issue, 3) WHERE ON THE VEHICLE are you incurring paint film and/or corrosion failure, and 4) what are the "years-of-production" - is this a fluke in a particular batch of production, or do we all have to start worrying?
1) The whole day, however I do park it under my big oak tree that provides my entire driveway with shade. 2) I live in South Texas. 3) Random areas on the roof, although there is spot on the rear passenger door near the window that the paint has peeled away. 4) Mine is a 2000.

Up until the 1960's, there were only two different types of paint chemistry (lacqueer and enamel). In both cases, if a vehicle was CONTINUALLY exposed to the sun, especially in the southern part of the country, we did not expect the paint to last more than 5-6 years before fading, cracking, and other signs of paint film failure showed up. With dramatially improved durability in recent years, maybe we are all getting spoiled ?
Maybe.

Quick Reply: Paint Peeling Off Roof