Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Competition
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?


Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!





 
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
  #1  
Old 05-09-2008, 08:57 PM
6CylBill's Avatar
6CylBill 6CylBill is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 7,021
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Friendly Rivals. Ford Vs Ram

Hey guys. I know I can't outrun him, but I'm wondering if I can outpull him?

My buddy's; 1985 Dodge Ram single cab long bed, 318V8 3.55 traction lock rear, looks like OEM sized tires

Mine; 1994 F150 single cab stepside, 300I6 4.10 open diff

He has a V8, a heavier truck, and a locking rear. I have a deeper rear gear and wide tires. Wondering if the lower gear and wider tires would help level the playing field?????

Thanks!
__________________
Rise and rise again..

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-10-2008, 09:00 AM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl's Avatar
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl SUPERDUTY_untouchabl is offline
Posting Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 1,442
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Is your's a long bed or a short bed? Also which one sits higher in the rear?
__________________
-Josh
04 F150 4.6l Gryphon Powered 2wd reg cab XL 3:55 LS SISO Flowmaster S40 NCD Customs 2.5" Leveling Kit Burner High Power Fog Lights 285/70/17 BFG A/T KO's
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-10-2008, 09:17 AM
DirtStripHero's Avatar
DirtStripHero DirtStripHero is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana Cornfields
Posts: 363
DirtStripHero is starting off with a positive reputation.
Manual or auto? 4x4 or 4x2? These things are all very important when pulling against somebody.

Are you planning to drop chains or do it at a truck pull?
__________________
Michael
"If it has **** or wheels, It will give you trouble."

2000 F-150 4.2L, 5spd, 3.55, 4x4
1984 F-350 6.9L 2wd, T-19
1980 F-250 460, c6, 4x4, pulling truck
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
6CylBill's Avatar
6CylBill 6CylBill is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 7,021
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtStripHero View Post
Manual or auto? 4x4 or 4x2? These things are all very important when pulling against somebody.

Are you planning to drop chains or do it at a truck pull?
Both are automatics; his is a 3 spd, mine a 5 spd.

Like I said, mine is a 2wd open differential, his is a 2wd with traction lock rearend.

Planned on pulling with chains. I know the odds are stacked against me, I'm just wondering what my chances are? I don't want to jump into this and humiliate myself / my truck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl View Post
Is your's a long bed or a short bed? Also which one sits higher in the rear?

Mine is a Flareside, his is a longbed. our rearends sit about the same height I believe. I have wider tires.
__________________
Rise and rise again..

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
DirtStripHero's Avatar
DirtStripHero DirtStripHero is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Indiana Cornfields
Posts: 363
DirtStripHero is starting off with a positive reputation.
if you are pulling with chains then traction is everything. That traction lock is gonna help him immensely. But you do have deeper gears...

Flip your drawbar upside down. You will want your hitch to be as high as possible.
I have seen a 300 outpull a PSD in this manner, it doesn't mean that it is a more powerful engine, it just means that he got better traction. My guess is that if you guys pulled 10 times, you would both win 5.
__________________
Michael
"If it has **** or wheels, It will give you trouble."

2000 F-150 4.2L, 5spd, 3.55, 4x4
1984 F-350 6.9L 2wd, T-19
1980 F-250 460, c6, 4x4, pulling truck
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-12-2008, 10:00 AM
6CylBill's Avatar
6CylBill 6CylBill is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 7,021
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtStripHero View Post
if you are pulling with chains then traction is everything. That traction lock is gonna help him immensely. But you do have deeper gears...

Flip your drawbar upside down. You will want your hitch to be as high as possible.
I have seen a 300 outpull a PSD in this manner, it doesn't mean that it is a more powerful engine, it just means that he got better traction. My guess is that if you guys pulled 10 times, you would both win 5.
Thanks. We haven't pulled yet. He's been keeping his mouth shut about Fords, haha. I looked up his year 318 and found it's rated for 125 / 140 Hp, and 250 ft lbs of Tq. Kind of surprised me. I know the 318 is pretty stout. The years shortly after '85 the 318 gained much more power though. but like you said, it's about traction. I think his traction lock would shut me down if nothing else. I'd rather not pull another pickup anyway. I don't feel like paying for a new driveshaft... or a transmission... or rearend... or... or... or..

lol. Thanks guys. I'll let you all know if we do do something. :
__________________
Rise and rise again..

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-03-2008, 07:27 AM
Pkupman82's Avatar
Pkupman82 Pkupman82 is offline
Postmaster
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Muskegon, MI (home)
Posts: 2,992
Pkupman82 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Pkupman82 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just the other day a couple buddies of mine hooked bumpers... Sean in his 82 Ford Bronco with 33s, healthy 351w, 4 spd manual and Jimmy in his 98 Chevy Z71 RC SB with the 5.7 Vortec, 5 spd manual, stock tires. They pulled on pavement, and Sean walked Jimmy's truck backwards like it was nothing! It was awesome, lots o tire smoke!
__________________
1977 Ford F250 XLT Ranger 4wd/ 351m/ NP435/ 205
1979 Ford Bronco XLT Ranger/ 460/ C6/ 205
1984 Ford F250 XL 4wd/ 6.9 IDI/ C6/ BW1345
1984 Ford F150 4wd/ 300/ NP435/ 208
1996 Ford F150 XLT 4wd/ 300/ ZF5/ BW1356
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-03-2008, 08:19 AM
6CylBill's Avatar
6CylBill 6CylBill is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 7,021
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pkupman82 View Post
Just the other day a couple buddies of mine hooked bumpers... Sean in his 82 Ford Bronco with 33s, healthy 351w, 4 spd manual and Jimmy in his 98 Chevy Z71 RC SB with the 5.7 Vortec, 5 spd manual, stock tires. They pulled on pavement, and Sean walked Jimmy's truck backwards like it was nothing! It was awesome, lots o tire smoke!
We all know Ford lays down the torque. The Bronco had an edge there as well.

I always think I'm going to pull with someone, then I don't. It's just not worth hurting my baby. I doubt my tranny could take any abuse these days anyway.
__________________
Rise and rise again..

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-05-2008, 10:09 AM
IcemanV8 IcemanV8 is offline
Senior User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 499
IcemanV8 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Look at Bill's tires in his video. Now, that helps even out the playing field since the Ram has OEMish tires. Both of your rears may turn. My 3.50 9" used to only spin one wheel, but I added like half a quart of Lucas full synthetic 75W-90 to it I had sitting around and now it spins both tires 95% of the time. I'm going to drain it and put in some Mobil1 75W-140 whenever I feel like getting back under it for awhile, again. Already did my tranny with M1 75W-90.

Anyways, I'm thinking you could get him. ESPECIALLY in grass (assuming he has street tires like I'm thinking), but also on pavement you could still stand a good chance. Your truck looks great, btw.

BTW, I like watching pavement pulls, but personally, with my truck, I don't like to replace broken parts, so I'd stick with off road, you'll have a better chance there, anyways. I'd almost bet you'd be getting bad wheelhop with those tires and that truck. I know mine does.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM
6CylBill's Avatar
6CylBill 6CylBill is offline
Post Fiend
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Almost Heaven
Posts: 7,021
6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.6CylBill has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcemanV8 View Post
Look at Bill's tires in his video. Now, that helps even out the playing field since the Ram has OEMish tires. Both of your rears may turn. My 3.50 9" used to only spin one wheel, but I added like half a quart of Lucas full synthetic 75W-90 to it I had sitting around and now it spins both tires 95% of the time. I'm going to drain it and put in some Mobil1 75W-140 whenever I feel like getting back under it for awhile, again. Already did my tranny with M1 75W-90.

Anyways, I'm thinking you could get him. ESPECIALLY in grass (assuming he has street tires like I'm thinking), but also on pavement you could still stand a good chance. Your truck looks great, btw.

BTW, I like watching pavement pulls, but personally, with my truck, I don't like to replace broken parts, so I'd stick with off road, you'll have a better chance there, anyways. I'd almost bet you'd be getting bad wheelhop with those tires and that truck. I know mine does.
Why would your 9" turn only one tire untill adding different oil? What does oil have to do with it? Is this why my left tire turns too, even though my rear end is an open diff???

Thanks for saying my truck looks great! The video is nice to her; she has her share of dings and scratches.

If we do anything it will be on grass. And he does have street tires. He wants his truck to be as fast as possible.
__________________
Rise and rise again..

until Lambs become Lions
Add me on FaceBook! https://www.facebook.com/bill.holsinger.5?ref=tn_tnmn
Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Reply

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Competition

Tags
ford, ram, trucks, trucls

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On
Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Advertising - Terms of Use - Privacy Statement - Jobs
This forum is owned and operated by Internet Brands, Inc., a Delaware corporation. It is not authorized or endorsed by the Ford Motor Company and is not affiliated with the Ford Motor Company or its related companies in any way. FordŽ is a registered trademark of the Ford Motor Company.

vbulletin Admin Backup