U-joint and carrier bearing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 01:47 AM
94.5turbodiesel
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question U-joint and carrier bearing

Hi all,

I am getting some noise from underneath my crew cab truck (1994.5). It is like a ringing noise during takeoff and then it goes away as I speed up. Does a ringing noise sound typical for a u-joint or carrier bearing? Any ideas. Thanks

Old 05-05-2008, 02:51 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Normally a dying U joint will be like ....Squeak, Squeak, Squeak..... speeding up with the speed of the truck. Get under the truck and look at all the U joints real close. If you see red dust around any of them, it needs to be replaced.

Next, it's possible the carrier bearing could ring.... but I don't know. Put the truck in neutral and set the E brake. (Unload the driveshaft) Get under the truck and check for play in the shaft, up, down, side to side at each joint. The carrier will move up and down but not much.

A constant ring, sounds like something in a brake drum, or something rubbing a driveshaft. Anyway, that's my thoughts on it.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:10 AM
bnine
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bad carrier bearing will most likely cause rear end growl during pretty much all modes of operation. Specailly under load.

Ting ting you are describing is more indicative of a loose exhaust hanger and pipe banging off of something under the initial load/twist of the truck taking off.

Easiest and cheapest check will be to grab the exhaust pipe when its cold, give it a shake and see if you can replicate the noise.

hth