this is my 3rd y-block site im asking help on... my y-block wont start! help PLEASE!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 12:14 AM
vanHoy
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
0.019 preliminary and final valve lash is what my '56 calls for, both intake and exhaust.

Hey kid, did you get it running yet?

--van

Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 AM
vanHoy
Senior User
I checked out the You Tube-- "I fixed the Y block" I ???!!! Looks to me like Dad did all the work! And Mom or whoever took the video was hiding behind the front door.

Maybe the kid didn't respond because he kint reed...? He certainly hasn't said, "thank you..."

--van

Old 05-22-2008, 02:04 PM
craig at ojo
Freshman User
My questions are: 1. is it running? 2. If so, what was the problem??
Craig at Ojo

Old 05-22-2008, 05:36 PM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are referring to his video titled "i fixed the y-block! almost ready to start now!", that was when he first installed the motor and had not cranked it over yet. My guess is, he still hasn't got it going yet, but at least he hasn't given up.

Old 05-23-2008, 08:37 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Question for Sam Fear.

*1,2-Pull #1 plug, and put a long straw in the hole while turning the motor by hand. When the straw is at it's highest, that is either TDC on the compression or exhaust stroke. Remove the valve cover and see if both the #1 rockers are loose (valves shut). If they are, it is the compression stroke TDC - if not, turn the motor one revolution and check again. CHECK DAMPER TIMING MARKS: When both valves are shut and piston is at high point, make sure the TDC timing mark i

Would this work on a 302? Or is this only for a Y block?
By the way. what in the world is a Y block any ways???

Old 05-23-2008, 08:54 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Yes, that is the most basic and easiest way to find TDC on a cylinder, be it #1 or any other cylinder. Does not just pertain to Y-Blocks.

As for "what in the world is a Y-Block", I will leave the full description to (Sam Fear because the question was for him and he has given some excellent advice on this thread, not to mention great patients with this guy) but it is basically Fords first O/H valve V-8 made from '54 to '64.

And here's a picture of one of mine... complete with killer guard cat.

Y-Blockhead

Old 05-23-2008, 09:14 PM
TheNomad
Elder User
Originally Posted by Y-Blockhead
Yes, that is the most basic and easiest way to find TDC on a cylinder, be it #1 or any other cylinder. Does not just pertain to Y-Blocks.

As for "what in the world is a Y-Block", I will leave the full description to (Sam Fear because the question was for him and he has given some excellent advice on this thread, not to mention great patients with this guy) but it is basically Fords first O/H valve V-8 made from '54 to '64.

And here's a picture of one of mine... complete with killer guard cat.

Y-Blockhead
Oh so this is what they went to after flat heads.. But whats the Y for =) I know its the basic shape of any v8 but still.. Oh and thats one killer cat.

Old 05-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
Nomad,

That's correct, The Y-Block is shaped like a V-8 but with very long skirts, the block actually extends below the center line of the crank about 3". Looking at the block from the front it looks like a Y.

Sorry I don't have a better picture but I think you can see how long the skirt is in this picture

Y-Blockhead

Old 05-23-2008, 09:32 PM
Y-Blockhead
Elder User
And once again I think I hijacked a thread, sorry guys...

Y-Blockhead

Old 05-24-2008, 12:04 AM
56efffie
Elder User
no apologies needed, I could look at pics of Y's all day

Old 05-24-2008, 12:08 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
Originally Posted by 56efffie
no apologies needed, I could look at pics of Y's all day
Ya no kidding that is awesome.
some of us i'm sure not just me but aah how do those air cleaners work....
for those who might not know these old engines so well

Old 05-24-2008, 08:54 AM
Sam_Fear
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TheNomad
Ya no kidding that is awesome.
some of us i'm sure not just me but aah how do those air cleaners work....
for those who might not know these old engines so well
Huh, I seem to keep seeing your posts all over, you seem to really wander the forums. Hard to miss your Avatar and Sig!

The top of the air cleaner is an inverted cup that goes over the 4" diameter filter that is underneath. Air is able to go in from underneath the bell. I'm thinking they were originally designed that way for motors open to the elements, to keep rain and such off the filter. I'd further guess the early hot rodders probably borrowed the idea (if not the parts themselves) from a military application.

Y-blocks have really nice lo-lop idle. The original orange block color and the distributor in the back tend to confuse some of the Y-block unaware. The early T-birds had Y's, and there was a factory supercharger option available at one point ('57 or so). Most Y's just had a 2 bbl carb though. Toward the end of their run they were detuned for truck engines.

Oh yeah, I don't think we can really hijack this thread - the kid will post another video sometime and we'll go from there. Hope he gets it going though.

Old 05-24-2008, 10:40 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
Originally Posted by Sam_Fear
Huh, I seem to keep seeing your posts all over, you seem to really wander the forums. Hard to miss your Avatar and Sig!

Well they don't call me Nomad for nothing

The top of the air cleaner is an inverted cup that goes over the 4" diameter filter that is underneath. Air is able to go in from underneath the bell. I'm thinking they were originally designed that way for motors open to the elements, to keep rain and such off the filter. I'd further guess the early hot rodders probably borrowed the idea (if not the parts themselves) from a military application.

Y-blocks have really nice lo-lop idle. The original orange block color and the distributor in the back tend to confuse some of the Y-block unaware. The early T-birds had Y's, and there was a factory supercharger option available at one point ('57 or so). Most Y's just had a 2 bbl carb though. Toward the end of their run they were detuned for truck engines.

Oh yeah, I don't think we can really hijack this thread - the kid will post another video sometime and we'll go from there. Hope he gets it going though.
Well thanks for the reply mister fear i've all ways wondered why they called them Y's

Old 05-24-2008, 02:09 PM
vanHoy
Senior User
... as in "Y" can't the kid [or his Dad] get his "Y" block running...

--van

Old 05-27-2008, 11:32 AM
TheNomad
Elder User
These Y blocks are getting cooler the more I look in to them.
And they have a great sound too
YouTube - '58 Ford F-100 Burnout..... 312 Y-Block
Awesome 312 launch.. Why is it that all the Y videos I find they sound like a 347 stroker? Did they just have a longer stroke or just every one turn them in to strokers.. I think I want one =)

Quick Reply: this is my 3rd y-block site im asking help on... my y-block wont start! help PLEASE!