S. California Chapter Join Chapter, Leader:

Kali Ammo Bill

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 01:30 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Kali Ammo Bill

They can't balance the budget but they can infringe on our freedom!

The California Assembly is considering a bill (Assembly Bill 2062) this session that, if passed, will have dire consequences for California’s law-abiding gun owners.

AB2062 is scheduled to be heard on Wednesday, May 7 in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. Sponsored by State Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), AB2062 would require that ammunition purchasers obtain a permit to buy handgun ammunition and would impose severe restrictions on the private transfers of handgun ammunition. Applicants for a “permit-to-purchase” would be required to submit to a background check, pay a $35 fee, and wait as long as 30 days to receive the permit.

Under AB2062, it would be unlawful to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a “handgun ammunition vendor” in the Department of Justice’s database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers.

The bill would also require vendors to keep a record of the transaction including the ammunition buyer’s name, driver’s license, the quantity, caliber, type of ammunition purchased, and right thumbprint, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice. Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax.

Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:42 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This is probably going to become law.

This will be a tough one to stop.

I don't know what the legislature is trying to accomplish with this, other than revenue enhancement for the State's general fund.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:26 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Received 52 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
I don't know what the legislature is trying to accomplish with this,
Defacto registration. They have been thwarted in their efforts to establish an owners database. But a database showing what caliber you purchased is the next best thing.

Well it's one aspect anyway. And as always, the $3 fee is just the starting bid. The sky is the upper limit.

Bill

Old 04-29-2008, 05:15 PM
jake08
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They want TOTAL control of guns, then confiscation! Make no mistake the Gov. and his wife will be no help at all.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:28 PM
bpounds
Hotshot
Originally Posted by jake08
They want TOTAL control of guns, then confiscation! Make no mistake the Gov. and his wife will be no help at all.
Yea, don't get me started on schitznaegger. It's bad enough when you vote and the other side wins, but when you vote for a dude and he still screws you, it just shows that you never had a chance and were just stroking yourself off.

Bill

Old 04-29-2008, 05:29 PM
Kep4
Jäger
The Governator is a RINO. He showed his true colors starting with the useless .50 cal ban, and then really p'd me off with the lead bullet ban.

One condor was supposedly found dead from lead poisoning in 1997... ONE! How the frig does that constitute a reason for the lead ban?

One other thing that's been gaining momentum is the supposed 'lead-poisoning' found at old shooting ranges. Wait until the politicos get a hold of that one.

Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
bigjimcruising
Senior User
Yet another reason why I can't wait to retire and move to America!!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:52 PM
verumlike
Elder User
Originally Posted by Kepler4
They can't balance the budget but they can infringe on our freedom!

The California Assembly is considering a bill (Assembly Bill 2062) this session that, if passed, will have dire consequences for California’s law-abiding gun owners.

AB2062 is scheduled to be heard on Wednesday, May 7 in the Assembly Appropriations Committee. Sponsored by State Assembly Member Kevin De Leon (D-45), AB2062 would require that ammunition purchasers obtain a permit to buy handgun ammunition and would impose severe restrictions on the private transfers of handgun ammunition. Applicants for a “permit-to-purchase” would be required to submit to a background check, pay a $35 fee, and wait as long as 30 days to receive the permit.

Under AB2062, it would be unlawful to privately transfer more than 50 rounds of ammunition per month, even between family and friends, unless you are registered as a “handgun ammunition vendor” in the Department of Justice’s database. Ammunition retailers would have to be licensed and store ammunition in such a manner that it would be inaccessible to purchasers.

The bill would also require vendors to keep a record of the transaction including the ammunition buyer’s name, driver’s license, the quantity, caliber, type of ammunition purchased, and right thumbprint, which would be submitted to the Department of Justice. Vendors would be required to contact the purchase permit database to verify the validity of a permit before completing a sale. All ammunition sales in the State of California would be subject to a $3 per transaction tax.

Lastly, mail order ammunition sales would be prohibited. Any violator of AB2062 would be subject to civil fines.

fap fap fap.... Theyve been doing this for how long now? Just another hoop to jump through

Old 04-29-2008, 06:15 PM
SteveBricks
FTE Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What constitutes "handgun ammo". I saw an "as described in sec. blah blah blah" in the body of the bill, but didn't really care to look - these kind of things make my blood boil.

Thompson Contender pistols - .308, .06, etc. Does that make those calibers "handgun ammo"?

.357, 9mm, .44 mag, .22 rimfire Rifles are available in these calibers - if I don't have a handgun, but own a rifle in one of these calibers am I subject to this legislation? I think I know that answer.......

Reloading supplies? ( I'll be stocking) Are they subject?

Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM
verumlike
Elder User
Originally Posted by SteveBricks
What constitutes "handgun ammo". I saw an "as described in sec. blah blah blah" in the body of the bill, but didn't really care to look - these kind of things make my blood boil.

Thompson Contender pistols - .308, .06, etc. Does that make those calibers "handgun ammo"?

.357, 9mm, .44 mag, .22 rimfire Rifles are available in these calibers - if I don't have a handgun, but own a rifle in one of these calibers am I subject to this legislation? I think I know that answer.......

Reloading supplies? ( I'll be stocking) Are they subject?
see i read this and your thoughts are exactly what mine would have been but it too makes my blood boil... so i didnt even go that far..

This is malarchy... all of it

Old 04-29-2008, 08:23 PM
Kep4
Jäger
From what I understand it's loaded ammo only with this bill. Those of us who reload are still flying under the radar.... for now.

What pisses me off is the fact I bought a few hundred .308 and .243 soft point and ballistic tip hunting bullets several years ago and now they're banned. And what the heck will I do with my .30-30 now? Not that any politocos give a poop about hunting anyway...

This kind of news is never good for my blood pressure. Then again stupidity is nearly always frustrating.

Old 04-29-2008, 08:25 PM
verumlike
Elder User
From what I understand it's loaded ammo only with this bill. Those of us who reload are still flying under the radar.... for now.

What pisses me off is the fact I bought a few hundred .308 and .243 soft point and ballistic tip hunting bullets several years ago and now they're banned. And what the heck will I do with my .30-30 now? Not that any politocos give a poop about hunting anyway...

This kind of news is never good for my blood pressure. Then again stupidity is nearly always frustrating.

im gonna take up bow hunting =-P

Old 04-30-2008, 09:14 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
Taking the topic sideways a little bit, but keep in mind that the lead ban is only a small area of the state, and it's only for hunting big game and non-game varmints. Not that I like it any more than you, but you should still be able to use your lead bullets in other ways.

Here is a good map of the area involved:
Non-Lead Special

Personally I saw this coming about 2 years ago and worked up loads for my favorite rifles using Barnes Triple-Shock (TSX) bullets. They shoot so well, and so far have performed so well on game, that I am perfectly happy using them even outside the lead ban area. I'll use them for everything. No joy on your thuddy-thuddy though. What bothers me more about the ban is the non-game varmint ban. No more plinking ground squirrels with my .22. The state imposed the big game ban, but it was our F'n G department that added the non-game provision.

Bill

Old 04-30-2008, 10:25 AM
Kep4
Jäger
I hunt A-zone exclusively (for now) so that's why I feel so screwed on this. The Gov really showed his true colors on this one which means we're just screwed all around.

And yes, the .22 lead bullet ban is outrageous. So when does the shotgun lead pellet ban come along?

You work for DFG, Bill?

Old 04-30-2008, 11:06 AM
bpounds
Hotshot
You work for DFG, Bill?
LOL. No, when I said "our F'n G", I meant us as residents of the state. And, "F'n" was a poor attempt at humor. The Fish and Game management in this state has been a political football for my entire adult life. We have not had a qualified biologist or even a true outdoorsman in there for at least 20 years. It's just a giveaway job to the governors crony's.

Bill