2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bad break job or what?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2008, 09:36 AM
ashleymc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad i did go with the cheaper motocraft pads..the advisor actually asked "do u want to pay $80 more for the ford OEM pads?" I said youre joking right? These OEM pads are why Im here at 22k to begin with idiot...

Old 04-29-2008, 10:22 AM
FTE/PARTS-GUY
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by Beefford
You are joking right? Ford OEM brake parts are junk. Always have been.

I'll put it this way,

A few years back Ford had a problem where we the dealers could give fleet customers FREE brake pads and rotors and all they had to do was to keep a log of when they installed them and how many miles before they had to replace them. And then do the same thing with any aftermarket pads they choose to compare them to. As long as they put forth a honest assessment and kept accurate logs they could do this multiple times if needed.

Every brake job done the Ford pads and rotors lasted 2 to 3 time longer then the aftermarket parts used, ultimately costing less per car or truck compared to using the aftermarket parts.

so yea the Ford factory replacement parts are better.

That being said, Ford screwed the pooch with the 2004/05 F150 brake setup,
that is why they had the TSB to fix the problem.

If every person or company got it right the first time and there were no problems in every line of work or manufacturing what a wonderful world this would be.

It's a bummer ashleymc is dealing with a dealer that didn't run the vin for TSB's and is now trying to back pedal and not fully utilize the resources given to them by Ford to rectify the problem for the customer with minimal hassle or cost.

I've seen allot of things in the last 25 years working in Ford dealerships some really good, some not so good. It all boils down to who you deal with and how they deal with you.

I got to get back to work. ashleymc I hope you can get this resolved.

Ed

Old 04-29-2008, 12:30 PM
SteveVFX4
Fleet Mechanic
On my 2004 FX4 Screw, I pulled the front Ford pads after only 500 miles because of excessive dust, and the rear Ford pads only lasted 16k miles. Changed the pads to aftermarket Porterfield Carbon Kevlar pads. Just in my personal experience of maintaining my own vehicles for 15 years, these are the best pads I've ever had. I'm at 31k miles now and the pads still have plenty of life left, and they don't produce any dust. 95% of my miles is local stop and go driving, so the brakes are constantly being used. My dad used to have a 2004 XLT Screw and only got 20k miles out of his front/rear pads. I wouldn't want the Ford pads even if they were free, especially because of their dust problems! Ever see some of the early 04's still running around today, their front rims are black now because the owners didn't do anything about the dust issue.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:53 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree, I don't like the Pads that come on the Trucks.... to me, they suck, which is why I went to ceremic pads, and haven't looked back since.

Old 04-29-2008, 01:40 PM
kaerch
Junior User
like fte said, the blue oval oe ford pads are the best you can put on period. the dust is not a "problem" persay. yes you may complain about it. there are tons of restrictions put on car manufacturers as far as brakes are concerned when vehicles are produced. there is far more time/research/money put into oe pads than any other pad out there. there are hundreds of formulations of lining for oe pads as opposed to a couple for aftermarket, so you may be putting the same formulation ion your truck as whats on the cavalier next to you. the oe lining is made specifically for these trucks. period

i guess bmw and mercedes and any other euro manufacturer has junk brakes too cuz theirs dust as well.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:38 PM
ashleymc
Junior User
Ok- but lets go back to me and thousands of others ORIGINAL COMPLAINT..That is why do we all need ANY BRAKE WORK PREMATURELY..OK Ford blew it,they screwed up,thats a given,it happens with any vehicle Im sure..BUT why infuriate people and charge for pads when it is extremely clear that their is and has been a brake problem all along..? Hey charge me for the amt of pad used 1/3 1/2 2/3 whatever,I wont like it but I buy that..Customer saved..For pennies they have peed off so many people over this that It has to have cost them in the long run foolishly..BAD policy -Peed customer- lost sales -bad feelings..ill get over it ..I can even forgive them ..BUT I dont forget come new truck time!! Ill let my feet go elsewhere..and maybe get screwed worse by chevy or dodge too who knows but Ford lost my business for sure this next truck time..

Old 04-29-2008, 08:43 PM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,230 Likes on 808 Posts
[quote=FTE/PARTS-GUY;6097006]I'll put it this way,

If every person or company got it right the first time and there were no problems in every line of work or manufacturing what a wonderful world this would be.

It's a bummer ashleymc is dealing with a dealer that didn't run the vin for TSB's and is now trying to back pedal and not fully utilize the resources given to them by Ford to rectify the problem for the customer with minimal hassle or cost.
[quote=FTE/PARTS-GUY;6097006

I'm sorry but I disagree. Providing quality brakes should never be an issue for a company that puts more trucks on the road than any other car maker. The current chassis has basically been in production since 1996. Sheet metal changes, frame improvements and engine improvements make up the [B]majority[/B] of the differences since the '97 model was introduced in 1996.

As for ashleymc, don't get down on FMC, punish the POS dealer by trading with another. You'll never find a better built truck in all the world. If you had taken your rig to that POS dealer's closest Ford competition, they would kissed your back side for an opportunity to make you a permanant customer.

The service manager at Wynne Ford in Hampton, Va screwed up real good one day by sharing with me his political woes with FMC. I'm under the impression that these service managers have to justify a good portion of thier warranty work. NOT MY PROBLEM! Make the customer happy!
I no longer deal with this POS dealer.

Tim

Old 04-29-2008, 08:55 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by ashleymc
Ok- but lets go back to me and thousands of others ORIGINAL COMPLAINT..That is why do we all need ANY BRAKE WORK PREMATURELY..OK Ford blew it,they screwed up,thats a given,it happens with any vehicle Im sure..BUT why infuriate people and charge for pads when it is extremely clear that their is and has been a brake problem all along..? Hey charge me for the amt of pad used 1/3 1/2 2/3 whatever,I wont like it but I buy that..Customer saved..For pennies they have peed off so many people over this that It has to have cost them in the long run foolishly..BAD policy -Peed customer- lost sales -bad feelings..ill get over it ..I can even forgive them ..BUT I dont forget come new truck time!! Ill let my feet go elsewhere..and maybe get screwed worse by chevy or dodge too who knows but Ford lost my business for sure this next truck time..
wow, that's harsh...especially since IMO, Ford did you right. Maybe a little prompting was needed, but they did do it. You're truck is out of warranty and you took it in for repairs...right? Even if in warranty, Brakes/Clutch/Wipers/Tires are considered wear items and not normally covered.

the 04/05's had a rotor issue that a TSB was issued for. it replaces the rotor with a different style rotor. I think you may be getting your terms confused. if they fixed your truck under the TSB, then they replaced the ROTORS, not the CALIPERS.

Calipers will not cause any vibrations unless they're broken or not properly seated. Then of course they charged you for parts and labor. I think you came off pretty good. A similar job at a Brake shop would have been far more.

oh yeah:

surfacing the rotor IS NOT A PROBLEM. The rotors are a certain thickness. As part of the factory specs, there is a minimum thickness allowance. This is so you can SURFACE THEM INSTEAD OF REPLACE them every time brakes are needed. Surfacing becomes a problem when you remove too much metal.

warped rotors are pretty much ruined rotors. unless the warpage is very very slight, the rotor is gone. You pretty much have to replace warped rotors 95% of the time. Again, this makes me think you're front rotors were replaced with the "new" style rotors

hope this helps

EDIT: on reading the TSB bulliten picture, it says they do replace the Calipers...I guess new ones are needed to fit the new rotors

Old 04-29-2008, 09:03 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Originally Posted by tseekins
company that puts more trucks on the road than any other car maker.

The current chassis has basically been in production since 1996. Sheet metal changes, frame improvements and engine improvements make up the majority of the differences since the '97 model was introduced in 1996
1. that is actually why Ford has more "issues" in the limelight than most other Manufacturers. The more you make, the more failures and problems occur...and are noticed.

now you're going to make me go all

2. umm...no. 1997-2004 models are 100% different from 1988-1996 Models. and the same for 2004-Current. There is a vast difference between each generation. About the only similarity is the 4.6 engine and transmission. Body lines, engine improvements, front (coil-over vice Torsion Bars) and rear suspension (shock placement, axle choices, payload capacity), PCM controls. The differences are enough you could debadge these trucks and a complete "novice" would probably say they were different brands. Oh wait, steering column is the same though

Old 04-29-2008, 09:40 PM
ashleymc
Junior User
No Tylus sorry youre wrong! My truck was IN WARANTY w/22k miles..And the TBS CALLS FOR NEW CALIPERS and TURN FOUR ROTORS..See Eds posted TSB on page 1 of this thread..Turn 4 rotors "if they are new style" replace if old style but STILL replace calipers which come loaded with pads already..Funny thing ,after all my #itching, the next day the bill went down again to $119 because they THEN admitted the calipers in fact, come loaded.. (after noticing my State Police ID ) ..so just pay for the rear pads,period..
The service invoice work sheet does not list "turned rear rotors" as done.. and there is no warranty backcharge to the factory listed, so of course they were not turned ..I was told to forget about whats on the repair work sheet "its been done" was the advisors last comment.. I am formally swearing a complaint/summons that will be submitted formally to the CT DMV Investigations unit for their inspection and input tomarrow..The summons will read "alluding to commit fraud upon the public...The civil allegations are to be "shoddy workmanship and breach of warranty contract"

Old 04-30-2008, 12:45 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Funny thing ,after all my #itching, the next day the bill went down again to $119 because they THEN admitted the calipers in fact, come loaded.. (after noticing my State Police ID ) ..so just pay for the rear pads,period..
The service invoice work sheet does not list "turned rear rotors" as done.. and there is no warranty backcharge to the factory listed, so of course they were not turned ..I was told to forget about whats on the repair work sheet "its been done" was the advisors last comment.. I am formally swearing a complaint/summons that will be submitted formally to the CT DMV Investigations unit for their inspection and input tomarrow..The summons will read "alluding to commit fraud upon the public...The civil allegations are to be "shoddy workmanship and breach of warranty contract"
wow, I'd hate to be your barber and give you a bad haircut.

why don't you just scan your work order in so we can see it? I'm beginning to think you don't know your head from your butt. and from all your legal mumbo jumbo, that you're one of "those" people. I should be careful, you might try to get me liable because I discussed it with you.

Post #1: you say you originally had 4 "old" style rotors. They want $1k to fix. You dig up TSB, and they say okay, then want $210 for Pads (a wearable item, and decent price). Then you say your truck has the new rotors now, and has new calipers.

^^^ sounds like your truck has been fixed. and they obviously didn't turn the front rotors if they're new. The issue with the work order being different from the actual work should be addressed for proper records of course.

Post #25: you come back with a smart-*** comment and allegations left and right. Just from our brief little "chat" I can understand why they just want you gone. What all do you want? They probably gave you a Cop Discount and dropped the labor charges. I get discounts pretty often myself as I'm Military. Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

If I'm wrong about it all, then so be it. More likely though, your truck is one of the few they've seen with this issue and didn't know how to handle it. Believe it or not, there isn't a huge conspiracy out to get you. And I'll bet they never make that mistake again.

TBS CALLS FOR NEW CALIPERS and TURN FOUR ROTORS..See Eds posted TSB on page 1 of this thread..Turn 4 rotors "if they are new style" replace if old style but STILL replace calipers
I went and looked at the Test TSB and the Picture TSB...and actually, it says to Turn FRONT rotors if "new" style, and REPLACE front rotors if "old" style. at no point are the rears mentioned
Oh, and in service date is 5/5/05
Sorry I didn't notice that your truck only has 6 days of warranty left!!! Must have been comforting to sqeak that one in

Old 04-30-2008, 02:06 PM
ReForder
Fleet Mechanic

Received 167 Likes on 89 Posts
What replacement pads would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about the ceramic ones, but what brand names. I've been working on my Volvos for the 8 years prior to owning this truck, and they don't make the PBR pads for this that I've come worship on my Volvos.

I'm due for brakes this summer, will probably just put new rotors and pads on the front right off the bat (and save the beer for myself!!!), and will then have the rears cut before putting the new pads on.

But more to the point, customer service across the board sucks, regardless of what motor company you bought your car from. The customer is always wrong as far as they are concerned, and it's frightening. DIY baby, DIY!!!

Old 04-30-2008, 06:17 PM
black04lariat
Elder User
Originally Posted by ReForder
What replacement pads would you guys recommend? I've heard good things about the ceramic ones, but what brand names. I've been working on my Volvos for the 8 years prior to owning this truck, and they don't make the PBR pads for this that I've come worship on my Volvos.

I'm due for brakes this summer, will probably just put new rotors and pads on the front right off the bat (and save the beer for myself!!!), and will then have the rears cut before putting the new pads on.

But more to the point, customer service across the board sucks, regardless of what motor company you bought your car from. The customer is always wrong as far as they are concerned, and it's frightening. DIY baby, DIY!!!
One of the best comments yet. A lot of folks think that if they get a Chevy or Toyota that there won't be the issues or the way they are handled will be different. I have had issues with every manuacturer I have owned cars through (Jeep, Subaru, Ford). It all comes down to individual dealers....not Ford directly. It took me 3 Ford dealers before I found one I trusted and would take my truck too.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:30 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
After paying that much money for a truck, it feels like they owe you good service.... the new trucks are more of a head ach than my 77.... runs like a top, just sucks gas.

Old 05-02-2008, 09:06 PM
ashleymc
Junior User
Yeah, guys like US.. tylus ..The ones YOU call when YOU need help 24/7...Do US a favor..Wipe your nose and handle your next 911 call by yourself..WE wont mind..

Quick Reply: Bad break job or what?