Aerostar Ford Aerostar

Where's my oil going?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:30 AM
DCRB
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Where's my oil going?

Is it possible for rings to go bad "prematurly" even with proper maintenence?

i have to ad aprox. 1qt about ever 1500 miles or so, and am curious as to where the oil's going...

my van has a stack of papers that are about 2" thick, oil changes (and filters) have been done every 3-3500 miles (since it was purchased by prev. owner, not just me). there is no oil residue in my intake pipe, or on my filter, i passed DEQ with no problems and very low hydro carbons (dunno if that matters or not), my engine doesn't smoke, bog, act wimpy, feel gutless, or leave stains on the street. but yet today, at about 2000 miles on the last oil change, my oil light came on as i was leaving the gas station, so i stop, check the dip stick, and it was like, 1.5-1.75 qt's low. as it sits right now it's about a half a quart low (i could only afford one quart, it was 4 bux a quart!)

I'm thinking about doing a compression check in the near future, as i'd like to change my plugs and wires in the near future, and it would be convienient.

@ just past 120,000 miles i'd say it'd be hard to blame the rings, they should still be good... maybe the PCV valve? i'd really like to NOT have to park this and follow JTHills engine rebuild guide for annother 150,00 miles... but will if i have to...

thanks in advance.

Ryan

p.s. if i do have to park it, i will not be getting another aero to replace it. my income cannot afford the price of gas with having to drive from portland to milwaukie and back, and from gresham to portland and back, and sometimes from portland to milwaukie to gresham to portland (home --> work --> g/f's place --> home). i'll probly get one of those highly hated civics.

Old 04-20-2008, 07:45 AM
96_4wdr
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
1 qt per 1K>2k miles is normal. factory doesn't get worried on new warranty rigs and won't do anything until oil consumption is 1 qt per 500 miles or more.

change the PCV NOW. they build up with combustion gas deposits which hold the valve open all the time and the intake vacuum sucks vaporized and misted oil out of the engine. change every 20k>50k minimum.

don't run the cheapy minit mart stuff they call oil.
buy name brand oil at our local auto parts stores when on sale, 10w30 national name brand Chevron Mobil Valvo Penz etc always on sale for less than $2 bucks per qt. i got 2 cases at Joe's of Chevron for < $1.50 qt
Wallyworld has good low prices on oil also.
an easily driven Aero V6 will go min. 5k-7k miles on an oil change on old dino fat mineral oil with filter change every oil change.

aggressive driving with high rpms and WOT mash the throttle increases oil consumption. i drive now like there's an egg on the throttle pedal, like an old man. hey, i am an old coddger. let 'em wait behind me.

that engine will live longer than you want to drive it.

Old 04-20-2008, 09:49 AM
ken1mod
Elder User
Sir,

I have noticed that the "standard" for oil consumption is zero oil consumption. This is simply not true. The factory standard is something like a quart every 600 miles. I think this is excessive but a quart every 2000 miles is not.

Aircraft engines normally consume a quart every hour of operation or so.

I would say stop worrying and add the small amount of oil you use and maybe try the next grade thicker. That will make a difference.

I think your engine is much healthier than you think.

Ken

Old 04-20-2008, 11:02 AM
93nighthawk
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just to be safe, make sure your oil filter and oil plug are snug and the seals on them are not leaking, a five minute check.

Old 04-20-2008, 11:43 AM
Aero-fan
Mountain Pass
It's also possible to have a doubleseal on the oil filter. What I mean is that the old filter was removed and the old rubber gasket stuck to the block, then the new filter with its gasket was installed over top it. This usually causes massive leaking that's immediately apparent, but sometimes it can actually seal up pretty good and only leak when the engine is revved up when oil pressure is elevated. I doubt that's what it is, but something to look into if everything else checks out.

Otherwise I'd be suspicious of the PCV/breather tube. Pull the breather tube off the plastic intake runner (coming from airbox) and see if it's all oiled up and also see if a lot of smoke/oil comes out of it when the motor is revved up. Also remove the oil filler cap and see if you have blow by coming through when you rev the motor up. Excessive blow by might also be suggestive of bad oil rings too. Lastly if you happen to be due for a plug change, you might want to pull them out one at a time and see if they have excessive oiling deposits or overly sooty coloring. If any plug does have oil on it that might be suggestive of a bad head gasket or maybe an intake gasket leaking oil into one cylinder. If they're all oily, then it suggests a global problem unrelated to gaskets etc which should point you back towards PCV, rings etc.

Old 04-20-2008, 12:41 PM
DCRB
Posting Guru
hmmmmmmmmmmm well for the most part i actualy drive at half throttle or less, simply because mad revs = mad gas chugging.

i will check all these things suggested to see what's up. the last time i changed my oil, i was in a rush, and did not tighten my oil filter quite enough, which caused it to slowly leak. i have used castrol gtx sludge protection dino oil 10w30... maybe i should switch to ten 40? or perhaps 15w30? i forgot which number was the thicker....

any ways, it's just weird. my mom's does the same thing, and we've owned it since we bought it in 96' from courtisy ford, and have always maintained it (i'm a maintenence nazzi)... and it's at like 105,xxx, but my dad's awd aero consumes practicaly NO oil between oil changes. it's weird.

Old 04-20-2008, 08:21 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Both my aero's comsume pratically nothing between changes. Maybe a little fuel dilute but Thats normal..In short some engines lose oil some don't..Hope you find your problem.

Dick

Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 PM
DCRB
Posting Guru
havn't found it yet, but found a new problem... i some how managed to get a hole about 2" around in my lower rocker pannel... directly below the center of the passenger sides door... my car has the beginning signs of cancer... so i'm going to have to cut out that rust spot, and replace it w some fresh sheet metal this summer. while i'm at it, i'm going to spray anti rust paint up in there. and make some drain holes

Old 04-20-2008, 10:34 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

Get hold of some fluid film and spray in there when you are done forget paint.
MOWPART.com

Old 04-20-2008, 11:08 PM
CarCrazy1001
Senior User
My aerostar burns a quart every 2000 miles even when it was brand new. My Buick Cenury does the same thing but I noticed my Buick started burning a quart every 500 miles, no drips or smoke, just consuming after I put in cheap generic oil in it. Next oil change I put in Castrol GTX, solved the problem immediately. I would change your PCV valve and try some good oil. GTX worked for me but thats just my personal experience.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:40 PM
TheHandyman
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 'new' 4.0 Aerostar doesn't use much though it seems to be leaking oil into the coolant. I've not had to add oil in over 2000 miles.

I did the fluorescent dye trick (thanks to this forum) but have yet to have it checked... meant to buy a blacklight bulb at Walmart & look at the coolant myself. Don't wanna keep driving it this way. Planning engine replacement.

Old 04-21-2008, 09:55 PM
99f350sd
Lead Driver

I use castrol too. Mostly over the last 20 years or so.

Dick

Old 04-21-2008, 10:27 PM
Aeroman59
Elder User
Mine does not use any oil. However just after Xmas I noticed a drop in oil level while checking the dipstick. Found out that the last oil change, the youngster did not fit the drain plug washer. Was loosing about a pint every 1000 miles, it's good now though.

If your compression is good, then either its the valve stems or it's leaking oil where you can't see it, or the PCV is not working correctly (shake it & it should rattle). Checked the front & rear crankshaft seals ? They will probably only leak under driving conditions.

Does your oil get very black at near to oil change time?

Aeroman.

Old 04-21-2008, 11:39 PM
DCRB
Posting Guru
nah, stays a nice brown color. dark brown, like between light and dark chocolate. not like 3 day old coffee black.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:28 AM
VanGo
Elder User
Originally Posted by TheHandyman
My 'new' 4.0 Aerostar doesn't use much though it seems to be leaking oil into the coolant. I've not had to add oil in over 2000 miles.

I did the fluorescent dye trick (thanks to this forum) but have yet to have it checked... meant to buy a blacklight bulb at Walmart & look at the coolant myself. Don't wanna keep driving it this way. Planning engine replacement.
Make sure you buy a real black light. There are imitations that won't work. I got mine at Home Depot. It came in a tube shape.

Quick Reply: Where's my oil going?