6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

2008 6.4 mpg improvements

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 01:21 PM
origcharger
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SouthTexasDiesel
That's exactly true. Don't get a mod that might screw something up that you can't afford. I let him drive my truck for awhile on Tuesday and he absolutely loved it. After he covered the highway in smoke he did a few laps around the dealership showing off. The main reason I told him what I was going to do was because I would rather him know exactly what I'm doing right now than have to give him a bunch a BS later on if something happens. If you give the guys enough credit and be straightforward with them they will usually work with you any way they can.

For a "kilt wearing" guy, you seem to have things in perspective.

Its all fun and games till someone gets hurt......

Old 04-24-2008, 01:43 PM
CATANG MOTORSPORTS
Junior User
I thought several months back it was poointed out that the computer knows if you change anything regarding chips, controllers, etc. and even also knows hardware has been changed if you remove or change something that has inputs to the computer associated with it, like the DPF with sensors in the front and rear?I would love to get better mileage and if you can a actually get 15 to 30% better mileage I am more than comfortable that the pollution associated with the extra burned fuel for lower emmissions is higher than the reduced pollution of burning less fuel and all the assocaiaed pollution of making and delivering that fuel.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:41 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Here's what I've noticed. My truck would regen at the same intervals when the truck was stock and when the truck was running a performance tune.

Now with the DPF off I can blow a lot of smoke when I want to, but if I driving normal on a 0-40 hp tune I will not blow much smoke at all. So I can keep the soot down with no problem, and I'm now getting much better mileage.

With the DPF I would average 17 mpg on the highway without regens, once the regens kicks in (about 2 per tank) the average would drop to 15-16. Now with the DPF off I'm averaging 20-22 and don't worry about fuel wasted during a regen. So basically I can consider this a 25%-40% increase in fuel mileage considering what I'm doing while driving. I also haven't towed yet but I should be getting even better increases in mileage, because when I towed it would regen every 150 miles or so.

Old 04-24-2008, 03:11 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thats definitely sweet, and totally worth it. When you put a lot of miles on them quick that'll add up in a hell of hurry!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:19 PM
SouthTexasDiesel
Elder User
Originally Posted by rollerstud98
Thats definitely sweet, and totally worth it. When you put a lot of miles on them quick that'll add up in a hell of hurry!
I've already got 30,000 miles on the truck and only had 10 months. I'm defiantly not complaining about getting 750 miles from one tank!!

Old 04-24-2008, 03:29 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My dads like that too, had the truck since mid November and has probably close to 15 or 20k miles on it, he puts generally about 600 miles every 2 days on it, which right now is a tank and a half.

Old 04-28-2008, 10:38 PM
GShelton
Freshman User
So when you are "off roading" and you have the DPF delete and the SCT, what happens if you need to tow heavy and have to return to stock tune? Would you then have to re-install the DPF?

Does this make sense? I have not updated my Livewire recently so maybe there is a work around, but mine states not to tow over 6K lbs in tow mode. So at the point I need to tow my 5th wheel RV, I have to return to stock, but then what would I do about the DPF delete?

Old 05-01-2008, 03:22 PM
kfacpa
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jackpine
Have 13000 miles on my new 08 6.4 and currently getting between 13 city to about 19 hwy running empty. Has any one used aftermarket air filters, chips, etc. to improve milage and do they really help much? Do I need to get more milage on this engine to really tell true mph? Thanks.
what gears rya running

Old 05-01-2008, 03:31 PM
jackpine
New User
3.73 gears

Old 05-08-2008, 03:20 PM
jackpine
New User
After market adds

So has anyone tried the new Banks air filter system and DPF back exhust on the 08 6.4? Does it help? Should it help for power and MPH?

Old 05-16-2008, 02:55 PM
jackpine
New User
6.4 Mpg

Here's another question from me. Seems now that the warm weather has finally come back to the north country, my on hwy milage has gone down some from wintertime when I was using a winter blend. Now I'm using good old #2 diesel. Think its due to the cold-dense winter air made better milage or the belended fuel?

Old 05-16-2008, 03:26 PM
kfacpa
Freshman User
Cold Air Package

Originally Posted by jackpine
So has anyone tried the new Banks air filter system and DPF back exhust on the 08 6.4? Does it help? Should it help for power and MPH?
I don't remember which thread, but you can search. I read that these are throwing codes as too much cold/dense air over the MAS ??? My service guy said best wait till we hear more...

Old 05-16-2008, 10:35 PM
Nipperdog
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Foamy
Firstly applogies for being so dumb, but what is dpf.
Secondly "it sounds to good to be true" if removing this thingy gets such a huge mpg improvement, why is it there in the first place, what's the downside.
Can I get in on this trick with my 2004 E450 RV powerstroke getting 10-11mpg?
The DPF traps exhaust soot, and is there because it was mandated by the federal government , not ford's idea. Removing the DPF will instantly void your factory warranty and make you a criminal in the eyes of the EPA liable to some heavy fines or worse. Your 2004 has no DPF.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:08 AM
KingRanch250
Senior User
This is just a simple matter of risk vs yield. I am not willing to risk my powertrain warranty for a few extra MPG's. Keep in mind, you may open yourself up to legal problems when you sell the truck if you don't disclose to the buyer that you had a programmer on the truck. (Which would drive me away from a used truck.) The new owner may take the truck in for warranty work and learn from the dealer that the truck has or had a programmer installed. This could make the seller liable for repairs denied by Ford that would have been covered if the programmer had not been installed, or possibly sue you to make you buy the truck back plus damages. Thats a lot to risk for a few MPG's. I do not think that it is worth it. My truck performs incredibly well stock. No i am not a lawyer, but I feel like I should have a law degree after what I have paid them over the years.

Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM
powerstroke1350
Senior User
Originally Posted by Foamy
Thanks SouthTexasDiesel for explaining the dpf for me.
It sounds logical to me, but if I understand correctly taking the dpf out makes the truck a polluter again (Personal choice).
I assume it has to go back in for the emmissions test.
It creates 100X more back pressure !! This sounds like an ideal opportunity for a better aftermarket filter sytem to be developed?
diesels arent pollutants.

Quick Reply: 2008 6.4 mpg improvements