Old 04-13-2008, 08:59 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4.6L MOD motor swap has begun

Now that the weather is starting to cooperate I
started my 4.6L MOD motor install for my 1965 F-100. I
am using my 73 F-100 parts truck as a mock up that way I can keep
driving my 65. Once everything is complete I will swap it over to my 65.

So far so good, the AODE transmission bolts right up
to the factory cross member, and it is still mounted
to the same set of holes as the C-6 was that use to be
there. It bolts right up, but is a tight fit.

Right now the engine is sitting on a 2x4 and a set of
wedges to make fine tune adjustments. I pretty much
have the engine located in the frame where I want it,
now for the fun part of making motor mounts. So far it
does not look like it will be that hard to do. However
the engine is a pretty tight fit, just enough
clearance to clear the large Ford power steering
gearbox. There is plenty of clearance between the
valve cover and firewall; it will make access to the
bell housing bolts very easy. The piece of one inch
square tubing is being used as a referance to get the
engine positioned correctly in the frame.

So far it looks like the engine will fit nicely in the
pickup and once all the accessories are bolted on the
engine and the plastic duct work for the air intake,
it will fill the engine bay up nicely. I will keep
posting info as the project progress.

There are other photos in my gallery as I will only post a few on here.

Jeff

Old 04-14-2008, 10:08 AM
airharley
Postmaster
Looks like it will be a little tight as you said. I'm curious to know how much room there will be between the accesories and the stock crossmember myself. Are you planning to rebuild or touch up the MOD motor before it goes in the slick?

Old 04-14-2008, 10:15 AM
garbz2
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Jeff

Steve at Industrial Chassis makes a trick set of Mod motor mounts that are pretty universal.

ICMenu

I am using a set for my iron block cammer in my 63. I have a new set of PI ford motorsport heads and will be using the edelbrock intake carb with the stand alone electronics.

Garbz

Old 04-14-2008, 07:37 PM
itsmywifestruck
Senior User
have you figured out what you are gonna do for your fuel supply?

ROb

Old 04-14-2008, 10:52 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by airharley
Looks like it will be a little tight as you said. I'm curious to know how much room there will be between the accesories and the stock crossmember myself. Are you planning to rebuild or touch up the MOD motor before it goes in the slick?
I am going to install the power steering pump, A/C compressor back on to see if they clear everything OK. then I will remove all that plus the manifolds to get more access to the frame so I can fab my engine perches. I want to make sure everything clears before I continue on much farther with the project.

I picked up a set of Mustang motor mounts and just need to make the perches, which looks like it will be pretty easy.

I do plan to clean up the engine before I install it in my slick. I think a good coat of Ford light blue with the black valve covers will make the engine look real sharp. As for the rebuild.......I am not sure. I took the valve covers and oil pan off and everything looks like there is more life left. On one hand I want to install PI heads and as long as you have the heads off you might as well go a little further down, but right now I see no sign that the engine needs a rebuild. However..... The engine is out and would be easier to do now before I install it. We will wait and see.

As for the fuel supply...... I have not thought that far a head. I think I am going to run with an external pump but I will address that when the time comes. My only concern with my current fuel tank in cab is I might get sick and tired of listening to the fuel being returned to the fuel tank. There are lots of little things that are going to come up as the project moves forward but I look forward to the challenge of making it all come together.

Jeff

Old 04-15-2008, 02:04 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great keep up the good work

Old 04-19-2008, 07:53 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Originally Posted by airharley
Looks like it will be a little tight as you said. I'm curious to know how much room there will be between the accesories and the stock crossmember myself.
The fit is indeed tight, as the factory side mounted A/C compressor will not work as the engine sits a little too close to the right hand side and it will not clear the cross member. I had already purchased a A/C eliminator pulley so I will go a head and just use it until I can figure out what to do for an A/C compressor.

On to the left side..... no problems for the power steering pump to clear, only problem is the engine oil filter will not clear the cross member. I had a 98 F-150 with a 5.4 and the oil filter was actually mounted up and under the front bumper, so now I will be off to the junkyard or local Ford dealer to purchase that filter relocation kit. That will be great as the oil filter will be away from the cross member and the rear sump oil pan of the MOD motor will dump oil straight to the ground, no more dumping oil on the cross member and waiting a week for it all to drip out of there!!! I really look forward to that.

I started in on the right had side engine perch and got most of the metal pieces cut, now it is time to weld and make final adjustments to it. The left had side will be a little more challenging as I will have to work around the power steering gear box, so I started on the right hand side first.

I will keep adding info as the project progress!

Jeff

Old 04-27-2008, 08:23 AM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Well once again there has been some great weather for working outside and I have been able to make good progress on my engine swap.

The engine perches have been made, using 1 inch square tubing (1/8) inch wall, and 2 inch wide flat iron (1/4) inch thick. I used existing holes on the frame and cross member, using a combination of the holes for the factory "FE" and 240/300 six perches. Making the passenger side was hard for clearance reasons but very easy to make the perch, the driver side was a little more challenging the way the engine is offset and getting around the steering gear box. Once I remove the engine to install in my 65 I will clean the perches up and paint them, as for now I do not feel like lifting the engine to do it, so for now they will remain as raw metal.

With the engine sitting by itself I installed the inner fenders and core support so get an idea for over all fit. None of those are bolted down, just bolts through the holes to keep it from falling over. Since I will have to remove all that again, no need to get crazy with the bolts.

Now for the fun part of wiring. The engine looked pretty good and simple by itself, now that I threw the engine harness on, things are starting to look like the mess of modern day pickups. I also have the rest of my donor car harness and parts of it will be needed to run the engine. I have a factory wiring book for my donor car and I have started going through page by page and circuit by circuit to find out what I need to keep and what I can remove. That is proving to be a very time consuming process. I do plan to replace my entire factory 65 harness and use what I can from my donor harness, but things like ABS, power mirrors, power windows, ETC..... No need to take up space. For now I am just laying the wire out in the general area that it needs to go, but when I install the engine in my 65 I will make the install of the wiring look a whole lot better. I was happy to find out as I started into the wiring yesterday that my engine was a OBDII, it was borderline with the year of the engine that it could have gone either way.

As always, there are more photos in my gallery and I will continue to post as I progress with the project.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2008, 03:09 PM
bigblockford_390
Elder User
Well I gave my 4.6L a Dupont overhaul this weekend and I must say it turned out pretty good. I was trying to go for the Retro look as the engines use to look like back in the late 60's. It should look really good once it is installed in my 65. I am now ready to remove the 360 and C-6 from my 65 and drop this in. I ordered all the fuel fittings, lines, pump and filter housing from Jegs so now I will be left with getting the wiring sorted out and I will be ready to rock and roll.

I just wish they made valve covers for the MOD motors that said Power by Ford, that would complete the retro look.

It is also to bad that all the wiring and plastic covers will hide most of the engine, but at least underneath it will look good.

Jeff

Old 05-10-2008, 05:45 PM
itsmywifestruck
Senior User
Find some old power by ford valve covers, and cut that section out of the top of the valve covers and find a way to bolt that over the valve covers with some adaptors of some sort. That would be neet.

ROb

Old 05-10-2008, 06:58 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Jeff, Good looking engine, How did you prep it for paint? and what kind of paint did you use? While you have the engine out go ahead and bring the frame down to Terry Mississippi and we'll slick it out to look as good as your 4.6!!!

Old 05-10-2008, 07:40 PM
gritsngumbo
Elder User
BarryMc: Can I come too? And bring my 64 Short Bed Chassis? I'll also bring adult beverages. You're only 2 hours away.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:24 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
Come on gritsngumbo, I might fit another in my shop. Glad to hear There's another slickster nearby. Where you at?

Old 05-10-2008, 08:30 PM
BarryMc
Posting Guru
I see you are west of me. You got two nice looking trucks in your gallery. You going to the supernats next week? Me and the wife are leaving Wednesday going up.

Old 05-10-2008, 09:53 PM
yotee
Senior User
what year is that mod? is it a muffstain, or truck motor?s there any diff between the two?

mike

Quick Reply: 4.6L MOD motor swap has begun