Ford ties Toyota and Honda in initial quality survey

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 03:59 PM
Octane
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ford ties Toyota and Honda in initial quality survey

Ford ties Honda, Toyota in initial quality survey
Ford Motor Co. is in a dead heat with Japan's Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. in terms of initial vehicle quality, according to a study the automaker is expected to release Monday.
Previous year's studies have shown Ford narrowing the quality gap with Japanese automakers. This year's report found that Ford is now in a statistical dead-heat with Japan's leading carmakers, according to a source who had reviewed the numbers.
Ford confirmed the existence of the report, but would not discuss its findings.
Ford plans to tout its quality gains in a new marketing campaign that will launch Tuesday night with advertisements on Fox's popular "American Idol." The ads will use real Ford employees and consumers to pitch Blue Oval cars and trucks.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:43 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Too bad the publics impression won't change even though the real world results have. Toy can keep making crap for decades and people will think it is still more reliable. The Japanese automakers also have TERRIBLE customer service but that never seems to catch on either.

Old 04-07-2008, 04:48 PM
seventyseven250
Lead Driver
Received 451 Likes on 330 Posts
so a survey that Ford paid for shows good results for Ford? This carries even less weight than Consumer Reports.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:53 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seventyseven250
so a survey that Ford paid for shows good results for Ford? This carries even less weight than Consumer Reports.
That makes it even stranger that it took them 10 years to come to this conclusion.

Old 04-07-2008, 06:56 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by galaxie641
Too bad the publics impression won't change even though the real world results have. Toy can keep making crap for decades and people will think it is still more reliable. The Japanese automakers also have TERRIBLE customer service but that never seems to catch on either.
You may be right about the service. I had my Toyota pickup for 6 years (bought used) and never needed service. I had my Honda Accord (bought new) for 11 years before I needed a fuel pump. They fixed it quickly and charged me a fair price....... my only experience with their service departments.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:06 PM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by dono
You may be right about the service. I had my Toyota pickup for 6 years (bought used) and never needed service. I had my Honda Accord (bought new) for 11 years before I needed a fuel pump. They fixed it quickly and charged me a fair price....... my only experience with their service departments.
I think he was referring to people that actually used the service department. I have several Ford stories that match yours. In fact, my old Aerostar needed absolutely nothing for 180,000 miles other than tires, one battery, one set of plugs, brakes, etc. I never put a new fuel pump in it. No big deal. I expect it.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
OK...Ford builds cars that are of good quality. Now they just need to pull their heads out of their collective rear-ends in the design department. That's why I'm driving a Mazda3 instead of a Focus right now.

I think most of the "quality" issues domestics have goes back to their dealer networks. Most horror stories I read or have heard from others seem to point the finger squarely at the dealership giving someone the run-around over an expensive (should have been in-warranty) repair.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:13 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
We can argue about who makes the best, but who can deny we have the capability ...... we are a nation of motorheads. We can thank the Japanese for waking us up, we were making crap (I recall my '68 Fairmonts) and now our products are world class.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:12 PM
BIG R
Senior User
One thing I hate about american cars is for the most part they hold no resale value at all. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge sedans are worthless after a few years. Toyota camrys and Nissan maxima's hold a great resale value. I probably will never own a car for myself but if I did this would be a factor for me.

Old 04-08-2008, 08:54 PM
naplesbill
Junior User
Well, I have a feeling this latest news will change Ford's resale for the better:

Ford ups warranties in used-car program

Old 04-09-2008, 07:16 AM
hofuf
Elder User
Originally Posted by BIG R
One thing I hate about american cars is for the most part they hold no resale value at all. Ford, Chevy, and Dodge sedans are worthless after a few years. Toyota camrys and Nissan maxima's hold a great resale value. I probably will never own a car for myself but if I did this would be a factor for me.
I would like to see some data to back up that claim as I don't see it.

Also, if you're really counting dollars and want to do the most economical thing, you'll buy a good vehicle and drive it 'til the wheels fall off. Trading cars every year or two doesn't make a bit of sense.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:50 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i love the all new 35mpg focus adds, its not achieved by any automotive technological design, they dropped a ton of steel and other weight problems on the car

fords marketing department has had me baffled for a couple of years now

not taking a stab at ford, but i think anything american made is in jeopardy for the next few years, and in reality, if this country returns to faith within this country we will be booming again

i think wendell will agree this country will be manipulated and and try to be taken advantage of for the next couple of years, especially in the asian markets

Old 04-09-2008, 02:14 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Originally Posted by hofuf
Also, if you're really counting dollars and want to do the most economical thing, you'll buy a good vehicle and drive it 'til the wheels fall off. Trading cars every year or two doesn't make a bit of sense.
You can compare vehicles using Kelly Blue Book.
You are right about keeping a car .... that depreciation curve gets flat as the years go by.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:51 PM
BIG R
Senior User
Originally Posted by hofuf

I went to kbb.com and typed in a 2001 toyota camry, and a 2001 Ford taurus both loaded out with options and 125000k miles. The toyota in good condition booked out at $7000.00 and the Taurus booked out at $4525.00. Dont beleive me take a look for yourself. I don't trade cars every one to two years, but I do keep my wife in a newer car than I keep for myself. I want the peace of mind that her and the rest of my family are safe and not broke down on the side of the road. I also don't agree with trading every few years but for those that do it is their own business and not mine. Again I was not giving my opinion on the resale value of used cars, just saying what it is like where I live.

Old 04-11-2008, 01:03 PM
Bart99GT
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by BIG R
Which only really matters if you do the worst thing you can do with cars, buy new ones every 2-4 years. If you drive one longer than that, resale value is pretty meaningless.

With some exceptions, almost everything is capable of making it to 100k miles with nothing but regular maintenance. If one makes it there without any major issues, it'll probably run another 100k before I'd have to start thinking about an engine rebuild or replacement. This isn't the 70s or mid 80s anymore, you're really not buying anything but extra car payments keeping a car less than 5 years these days. I'm actually driving the newer car between my wife and I. She likes driving her Jeep and I have the longer commute. There might come a day when we switch or just carpool if when I think its gotten to the point where it will need major work to be reliable again. Personally, I've learned my lessons on buying new cars every 2-3 years...it sucks!!

Quick Reply: Ford ties Toyota and Honda in initial quality survey