The Next Generation For those ages 15-25.

Thinking About Joining the USMC.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 06:08 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Also depending on your ASVAB scores, you might be entitled to some awesome enlistment bonus ...

Old 04-14-2008, 06:17 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do it.

Don't get caught up in the DEP as a training tool---you'll get all the training you need in boot and in the follow-up school (depending on your MOS).

One poster mentioned the ASVAB. Yes, that could also open you up to more specialized jobs within your active service the higher your score.

When you're 18, YOU decide. It's not up to your parents---it's up to you. They're not going to disown you, but they'll be worried about you like all parents.

But joining the military tends to open your eyes a little more to what's out there, vs just getting a well-paying job near where you grew up---or even going to college.

But do both, if possible. Go into the military AND get some college while you're in (like I did). I managed to get a 2-year degree in a 3-year period of time while in the Marines (of course, we didn't have a war going on then), and finished the 4-year after I got out.

THEN you'll end up with a wider worldview, some college, military experience (and maybe even combat experience), and maybe a highly-valued, paid-for-by-the-U.S.-Government specialty that the civilian world is just itching for.

Look to the future, man. And good luck.

Again, the final decision is YOURS. It's YOUR life.

Steve

(USMC/1984-1990)

Old 04-14-2008, 08:58 PM
medhvac
Posting Guru
go ahead come and join us!Once a marine always a marine!

Old 04-14-2008, 09:06 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hey, Greg....

I remember being at the MEPS station in Raleigh (NC) in -84 after having finished all the final physical crap and the swear-in, and I remember one of the mil-types having folks raise their hands when he called out the branch of service. I remember about half raising their hands (there were about 80 of us in there at the time) when 'Army' was called out.....about 20 when 'Air Force' was called out........about 15 for the 'Navy'......and....

EXACTLY 3 of us raising our hands when 'Marines' was called out!!! (haha)

I ALSO remember the looks of pity the other 77 sent to us when we raised our hands, and I was starting to wish I'd joined the Air Force!!!!!!....(haha)

Boot Camp SUCKED!

But I'm proud of ALL of it. You KNEW you did something!

Old 04-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Outcastz89
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I remember when I came home and told my parents I wanted to join(when I was 17).My dad and mom said they wouldn't sign my enlistment papers because it was my decision.They said I could when I was 18.My mom wasn't to fond of it and my dad said it was a pretty bid step,but they both supported me in my decision.Since then I've thought about it more and everything and haven't enlisted.I don't know if I will or not.I believe it's one of the greatest things in the world a person can do.

Old 06-28-2008, 08:50 AM
purecountry
Senior User
Do it man. Im a Lcpl. and work on T58-GE-16A Helicopter engines, for the CH-46. I love my job and wouldnt join any other branch. My corp, your corp, hard corp, United Staes ****ing MARINE CORP. OOH RAH.

Go to exotic places, meet exotic people, then kill them.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:39 PM
crehberg
Senior User
Well, as of right now, I haven't even been back to the recruiting station. I have decided to just not deal with it right now b/c it causes too much tension at the house, which is where I'm spending most of my time at now.

Old 06-30-2008, 06:29 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
Take your time ... Never rush into things and never volunteer ...

Old 07-01-2008, 05:19 AM
bliff_man
Senior User
I joined the Army right after high school. I was 17 when I signed up and had to have my parents approval. I had to explain to them why I was going to sign up, and after I layed down my reasoning, they agreed. I left for basic 10 days after my 18th birthday. I spent about 3 months in the DEP program. For me it really didnt do much. I was already coming in as an E-3 due to my JROTC time. For other it helped them a lot. With the Army you can come in as an E-3. There are a number of tasks that you complete to get the promotion. I believe one of them is a PT test, the other is a knowledge test, and one other is buddy referal program.

Really, it is not your parents decision if you want to join. You are your own person, and the sooner you realize that the better off you are. The military is not for everyone though.

I am a 25B, information systems analyst. As far as the Army goes there are a few jobs in the IT field that transfer to good civilian jobs. 25B and 25N are the most prominent that I can think of. I've been a network admin for a network that included 50 routers and 120 switches. We ran the network from Baghdad north. My second deployment I ran a sat link with 3 routers and switches. Now I am wokring as a help desk admin. So in my 6 years I have pretty much covered almost everything in the IT field minus security. For a comparison with Army vs. Marine in the IT department, the Army is usually the first to get the new equipment in IT. The Marines are the first to get new weapons.

If you have any questions about the Army, feel free to ask me. Im more than willing to answer what I can. If I dont know the answer I can at least point you in the right direction.

Steve

Old 07-01-2008, 11:42 AM
crehberg
Senior User
Thanks Steve, you are right, it isn't my parents decision. However, as long as I live under their roof, I really don't have much of a choice.

Old 07-01-2008, 03:00 PM
magusjinx
Elder User
Originally Posted by bliff_man
For a comparison with Army vs. Marine in the IT department, the Army is usually the first to get the new equipment in IT. The Marines are the first to get new weapons.
Steve

Old 07-01-2008, 08:33 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by crehberg
Well, as of right now, I haven't even been back to the recruiting station. I have decided to just not deal with it right now b/c it causes too much tension at the house, which is where I'm spending most of my time at now.
Thanks Steve, you are right, it isn't my parents decision. However, as long as I live under their roof, I really don't have much of a choice.
OK, so I don't belong here because I'm an old fart according to the age listed on this forum, but since I see a few other old Marines have posted already I'll jump in too.

I understand you options and discussions may be limited right now because of your parents opinion. Since my baby girl is older than you are, I'm old enough to understand what your parents are thinking, but it sounds to me like they don't have any military experience.

If you have any questions, or want to talk about it more, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll answer any questions I can, talk about whatever your concerns are, and if there's something I can't answer or need an additional opinion on, there are several other Marines here on FTE that we can get in touch with.

Old 07-01-2008, 11:57 PM
bliff_man
Senior User
Understood, just dont let someone talk you out of anything you want to do. Listen though, because many people will bring up valid points. Just base your decision in 2 years, on what you want to do, and not what your parents want you do.

---OR----

You can do both. Go to ROTC in college, get a degree and still serve only this time making more money.

Old 07-02-2008, 10:48 AM
crehberg
Senior User
Guys, thank you so much for all ya'll have said. I can't click the rep button enough!!! You guys and gals are the best.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:34 PM
joshc_guitar
Senior User
The marines is a noble path. I have serveral firends that have gone that way and i respect tehm even more for it. I would love to go to the corps but i have knee injuries and athsma.

Quick Reply: Thinking About Joining the USMC.....