General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Outer Banks, NC Beaches Closed

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2008, 12:51 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Outer Banks, NC Beaches Closed

I was just going to put this is the North Carolina section but realized it would effect people that come from different states to the Outer Banks just as bad.

Basically to make a long story short there is a special interest group that has sued in order to close the southern beaches of the Outer Banks (Oregon Inlet, Cape Hatteras, Ocracoke, Ect.) This is not just a suit to not allow driving on the beach but to close it off permanently from public access. I know there is quite a bit of yall on here that come down to these beaches. There is a PleaCast on the Save Hatteras website. If you want to keep the beaches open you can fill it out with your information and they are sending them the proper representatives. At this moment it is not looking good and this is basically all we can do. It would be detrimental to the people and economy that rely on the beaches for tourism, commercial fishing, ect.

Long Story - AN OUTER BANKS CITIZEN LETTER
Other Information -
Save Hatteras and Ocracoke Island - Hatteras PleaCast (PleaCast)
Beach Access Issues

Mods, if this is stepping on the General Non Automotive Guidelines feel free to move it. I do not think it does but I'm not positive.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:06 PM
tewferford
Post Fiend
I can understand the driving ban but, people too! They are beautiful beaches and should be enjoyed by all. Just lay down some ground rules, and let the screw ups take their lumps. (Large monetary fines)

Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
I agree with ya. I forgot to put this in but this group is from out of state and is actually suing the Park Service that goes over and beyond to keep the beaches and wildlife protected. The big thing with these people is that they say the bird population has decreased and the beaches need to be closed now, not thinking of all the "People" that would be extremely hurt from it.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:14 PM
pitrow
Elder User
Ha... that kinda crap has been going on for years over here. They just shut down a huge chunk of coastline because a stupid bird (snowy plover) that's too dumb to make it's nest out of harms way MIGHT choose to nest there. That's right... they're not even nesting there currently, but they MIGHT, so they shut off all public access to the beach.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:24 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
The Park service does that stuff all the time around here also. Closing down sections for "Bird Sanctuary's", Sea Turtle nest, and such. Which is not a bad thing till it gets taking to far. The thing down here is that the Southern Outer Banks is just beaches, fishing, and businesses. It is just long beaches and skinny bits of land. You close the beaches and you got a long road to nowhere and abandon buildings.

Old 03-31-2008, 01:49 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pitrow
Ha... that kinda crap has been going on for years over here. They just shut down a huge chunk of coastline because a stupid bird (snowy plover) that's too dumb to make it's nest out of harms way MIGHT choose to nest there. That's right... they're not even nesting there currently, but they MIGHT, so they shut off all public access to the beach.
This sound so close to what we are facing here in NC. We have the piping plover and the last ones that nested on the banks had there nest destroyed and the person responable is not being sued at all. Storms, rains and high tides have been the reasons for failed nesting, not ORVs. I have been going to the Banks for 25 years and this will cause a whole way of life to die and vanish, all for a bird that may or may not nest in an area that will probably be flooded out by the frequent high tides and flooding. Or to protect the occasional turtle that nest on the backs, most below the high water mark and is washed out at the first full moon tide. These are all acts of a much higher power and are acts of natural selection. Closing the beaches to human access is not going to change a thing. It will decrease the survivial rate of many forms of wildlife that is found and reported by the beach goers. The only life that will be affected by this closer will be the way of life that has survived on the Banks for hundreds of years. I know there is a hearing this Friday and it could be closed until a decision is made.
Don't get me wrong, I am very much for protecting all of the environment and believe I do my part. But this is crazy and I can't believe our gov. is dumb enough to even consider this.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by tewferford
I can understand the driving ban but, people too! They are beautiful beaches and should be enjoyed by all. Just lay down some ground rules, and let the screw ups take their lumps. (Large monetary fines)
I DON'T understand any push for a driving ban.

That would absolutely kill the recreational fishing/camping on Portsmouth Island (which is just south of Ocracoke).

The NPS finds turtle nests? No problem.....They close off a section of beach and you use the detours on the back of the dune line to go around. Bird sanctuary? There's a huge one by the north end of the island, but it's all open beach and swamp up there, so they don't close off the beach itself.

I take a truck/camper up there several times per year. That's over 20 miles of beach, and most of the fishermen up there either do what I do (truck/camper), or they take pickups or ATVs out there and rent out the cabins.

But NO one would go out there if they closed the entire beach (for no GD reason whatsoever except the friggin environmentalists want it) to vehicular traffic.

We play by the rules. It shouldn't be an issue at all. It's NOT an issue at all, except busybody nobodies with too much time on their hands CHOOSE to make it an issue! (no....I'm not necessarily talking about you....but maybe I AM if you want to just out-and-out ban all vehicles from the beaches).

Old 03-31-2008, 02:56 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by obxredneck
I agree with ya. I forgot to put this in but this group is from out of state and is actually suing the Park Service that goes over and beyond to keep the beaches and wildlife protected. The big thing with these people is that they say the bird population has decreased and the beaches need to be closed now, not thinking of all the "People" that would be extremely hurt from it.

Where were all of these sob-sisters at when places like Atlantic Beach, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Emerald Isle, etc.....Got turned into mega oceanfront condominium complexes over the last 30 years? Wanna point the finger at the disappearing 'pristine' NC outer banks?......Blame development and greedy politicians. It ain't the fishermen and the beachcombers doing all this crap and harming seaside wildlife!

Boy, the difference between now and when I was going to the Outer Banks as a young boy in the early 70s!

Old 03-31-2008, 03:51 PM
zx250
Originally Posted by cmpd1781
Where were all of these sob-sisters at when places like Atlantic Beach, Nags Head, Kitty Hawk, Emerald Isle, etc.....Got turned into mega oceanfront condominium complexes over the last 30 years? Wanna point the finger at the disappearing 'pristine' NC outer banks?......Blame development and greedy politicians. It ain't the fishermen and the beachcombers doing all this crap and harming seaside wildlife!

Boy, the difference between now and when I was going to the Outer Banks as a young boy in the early 70s!
Yeah, wonder how many birds nested on the beachs at the Grand Strand?
You folks that are intrested need to join the OBPA. It is a non profit outfit that fights to keep the beachs a great place to visit. Lots of good info about what is going on with the lawsuit. OBPA.org check it out and help save the beaches.

Old 03-31-2008, 04:17 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
You make some good points cmpd. Most areas of the Outer Banks are not like they use to be.

Just seconding Barrys suggestion. The Outer Banks Preservation Association (OBPA) does do a lot of good work and it is a good site to check out.

Not to turn this into a Toyota thread but they just donated 20 million dollars to the group doing this (National Audubon Society).
Audubon has a nice little article on there site also as to the beach driving (Most of it is bull). They even happened to find and take a pick of a chick dead in a tire rut just to stir the pot a little more.

Audubon Magazine (They even take a nice shot at OBPA)
Audubon North Carolina

Old 03-31-2008, 10:19 PM
blue beast
Posting Guru
At least the sea turtles here have enough sense to bury the eggs up higher and we
can still drive on the beach. Even where the houses and fences have blocked the path
the land crabs take for their yearly spawn from the intracoastal marsh to the ocean
were they let their spawn go in the ocean, Not many make it there from being run over,
dogs, getting stepped on, drowning in pools, and getting lost and not able to find a
way around the house and fence. But no one gives a crap about them because they
are not cute and cuddly!! One day they will be gone and people won't even know, that
is until all the dead fish and oysters start rotting and make it unbearable to breathe at
the beach, That is what they do clean up the dead, I think they are very much needed.

Old 03-31-2008, 11:39 PM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm glad California don't have those kind of stupid laws prohibiting access because of some fish or bird or beetle bug.

Old 04-01-2008, 07:16 AM
zx250
I am all for protecting our resources and its valuable wildlife. If they could provide any proof the my driving on the beach is causing any damage to any wildlife that would thrive if not for my truck, I would be the first to save the world. Even the chick in the tire track is rumored and even looks staged. No doubt the chick is dead and something caused it to die, but I have plenty of doubts that it was the truck tire. Look if you want and explain to me why the tread tracks stop around the chick. Anyway, until they figure a way to control the weather and tides, then don't tell me that driving on the beach will have a major impact on anything.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:36 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
I know one thing. The SEAGULLS love us!

You should see them sum-bichz come swarming when we drag a bag of fish guts to the beach and start tossing it in the drink......If they even SEE you start walking to the water carrying anything.....Here come the scouts and they start squaking for their airborn buddies to come flying on over.

I don't know how many of you are familiar with Atlantic Beach.....But if so, you know the 'circle' of course. About 25, 30 years ago, when you took a 'right' at the circle, heading towards Pine Knoll Shores or Emerald Isle, it turned into wilderness about a half a mile down the road, and you didn't see crap (except for the occasional surf/sand shop) until you hit the aquarium and Pine Knoll Shores. NOW it's like a freakin' urban area with condo-complexes and shopping malls and plazas nearly all the way down the banks.

Thank GOD Portsmouth Island, Cape Lookout, Most of Ocracoke Island, etc. are a NATIONAL seashore.....no development allowed.

Last edited by cmpd1781; 04-01-2008 at 02:38 PM. Reason: Delete a sentence
Old 04-01-2008, 10:27 PM
DaMole
Posting Guru
Them seagulls can be deadly down here. We have a big obesity problem with them. People always think it will be funny to throw a french fry at them. Then all hell breaks lose and they go running and screaming. It is actually very entertaining.

There is a meeting tomorrow night (April 2nd) at the First Flight High School in Kill Devil Hills if anybody iss interested.

If it ends up closing like they think it will, unless congress steps in) it will probably turn into a civil war down here. There is already talks of it and mass amounts of people camping out on the beaches. Just say a little prayer for us cause it will probably not go down easy. Most people down here will not tolerate you messing with there lively hood. Just try to steal a crabbers crabs from his pots and you will find out real quick.

Quick Reply: Outer Banks, NC Beaches Closed