2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Air Intake Kit

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 08:34 PM
pb34
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Air Intake Kit

Alright well I know this question has been asked a ton of times as I've searched for it but I'm still not positive which to go for. I've got an '06 with the 5.4 and the two that I've been looking at are the Volant Powercore CAI and the S & B CAI. There are a few things that I've noticed when comparing them. One of which is the Volant has an oil-less filter where as the S & B requires an oiled filter. Now I'm not sure if this is a big deal but how much trouble is it to oil the filter and does the oiled filter provide better filtration?

I'm sure that whichever one I get will work just fine just looking to make the best decision. Any help is appreciated!

Old 03-28-2008, 08:49 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
It really just comes down to how often do you want to clean and oil your filter. I had a couple of k&N filters before I got my Volant. I hated cleaning and oiling them. ALso, I started to pop engine codes due to the filter's oil. I just liked the thought of the powercore and I only have to replace it every 100K miles. I'm a little skeptical about it, but even it I replace it every 50K, for me it still bets the oil. You may also want to check AFE since I think they have a oilless filter as well. Good luck, either one will work fine.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:53 PM
pb34
Senior User
Originally Posted by Twinsdad98
It really just comes down to how often do you want to clean and oil your filter. I had a couple of k&N filters before I got my Volant. I hated cleaning and oiling them. ALso, I started to pop engine codes due to the filter's oil. I just liked the thought of the powercore and I only have to replace it every 100K miles. I'm a little skeptical about it, but even it I replace it every 50K, for me it still bets the oil. You may also want to check AFE since I think they have a oilless filter as well. Good luck, either one will work fine.
That's what I figured, I've been leaning toward the Volant just thought I'd hear some more opinions. Thanks!

Old 03-29-2008, 02:37 AM
XolieX
Elder User
it seems as if NOBODY likes the K&N cai intake! they have some nice prices on ebay for about 220.

Old 03-29-2008, 06:43 AM
benningstspeed1.0
Senior User
afe also makes a dry filter.

Old 03-29-2008, 08:34 AM
pb34
Senior User
Originally Posted by XolieX
it seems as if NOBODY likes the K&N cai intake! they have some nice prices on ebay for about 220.
I had heard from multiple people that the K&N filters let too much junk through into the engine. I also like closed box design of the Volant and the S&B.

Old 03-30-2008, 05:23 AM
XolieX
Elder User
when i installed a KN on my sport trac, when i immediately put it on, i saw a nice increas in MPG on the highway. but shortly after and on the next trip on the hwy, i saw less MPG than with a standard filter!

i've heard that KN filters only do nice things with carbed cars!

Old 04-01-2008, 01:42 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
I personally really like the S&B. Its not because I'm biased because I sell the S&B....I sell K&N, AF1, AFE, uploading Volant right now.... But I really like the S&B. IT is a very high quality intake, everything from the actual intake down to the instructions is top notch.

S&B Intake Ford F-150 1997-2007

We are actually doing free shipping (but only for the next few hours), but if you go ahead and say that I authorized free shipping in your comments we'll still do free shipping for you.

Alon

Old 04-01-2008, 02:01 PM
pb34
Senior User
Originally Posted by Alon@ModBargains
I personally really like the S&B. Its not because I'm biased because I sell the S&B....I sell K&N, AF1, AFE, uploading Volant right now.... But I really like the S&B. IT is a very high quality intake, everything from the actual intake down to the instructions is top notch.

S&B Intake Ford F-150 1997-2007

We are actually doing free shipping (but only for the next few hours), but if you go ahead and say that I authorized free shipping in your comments we'll still do free shipping for you.

Alon
Thanks for your opinion and the free shipping offer but I won't have the money to buy the intake for a couple weeks or so. I'm still not sure between the S & B or the Volant. I'm still leaning towards the Volant Powercore because of the oilless filter and it seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews. Thanks everyone!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:08 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
Originally Posted by pb34
Thanks for your opinion and the free shipping offer but I won't have the money to buy the intake for a couple weeks or so. I'm still not sure between the S & B or the Volant. I'm still leaning towards the Volant Powercore because of the oilless filter and it seems to have gotten some pretty good reviews. Thanks everyone!

Just let me know when you're ready for either one and I'll make sure you get taken care of.

Thanks

Old 04-01-2008, 03:48 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
I like the way the S&B looks just because you can get that coverplate customized.

But otherwise, Volant for the win

Old 04-01-2008, 07:33 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Question

Originally Posted by XolieX
when i installed a KN on my sport trac, when i immediately put it on, i saw a nice increas in MPG on the highway. but shortly after and on the next trip on the hwy, i saw less MPG than with a standard filter!

i've heard that KN filters only do nice things with carbed cars!
Dude, I put a K&N on MY Sport-Trac, and it failed the smog test while I was overseas, even though it was C.A.R.B. certified. I grew up in Rialto. What city are you in?

Old 04-01-2008, 07:38 PM
Alon@ModBargains
Senior User
Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
Dude, I put a K&N on MY Sport-Trac, and it failed
the smog test while I was overseas, even though it was C.A.R.B. certified. I grew up in Rialto. What city are you in?

I had a K&N on my 4.0 ranger with custom tunes and a dumped exhaust and it passed smog with flying colors. There was no CARB certificate at the time since it just came out of K&N testing

Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
I had a K&N on my 4.0 ranger with custom tunes and a dumped exhaust and it passed smog with flying colors. There was no CARB certificate at the time since it just came out of K&N testing
See, mine had the CARB sticker that came with it. It failed, and not for visual. Once the stock system went back on it, if passed... I'm not ******* K&N...It just didn't pass with the K&N cai on it. Couldn't tell you why exactly, as I was either in Kuwait, or heading into Iraq the day my father took it for the smog test, before getting Cali plates on it. Was bought outside of Fort Lewis, WA.

Old 04-02-2008, 08:50 AM
pb34
Senior User
Hey Alon are you guys going to be getting in the Volant with Powercore filter?