1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

GPR Problem Batteris Dead

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:31 AM
RVSupply
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GPR Problem Batteris Dead

I've got a problem with my 1997 F-350. I've been haveing problems with starting my truck the last couple of weeks. If I have to turn it over for more than about four or five seconds the batteries go dead. The truck is chargeing fine when driving so i went out and bought two new batteries this morning. When I hooked the batteries up I noticed smoke coming from the GPR (key was off). Is the wire that mounts to the front large post on the GPR that comes from a small relay mounted to the passenger side fender suppose to have power even when the key is off or is there a problem with that relay? Any help with this would be greatly apprciated. You guys are great and this sited has helped me out tremendously since I bought my truck.

thanks

Old 03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I recall correctly the first large cable (Drivers side) on the GPR is always hot. When you turn on the key that energizes the GPR sending current to the glow plugs as well as the starter relay on the fender. When you turn the key to start that energizes the starter relay (fender mount) and the starter runs.

If you have smoke coming from the GPR and the key is off I would think that the GPR was bad.

Disconnect the wiring to the GPR. With KOEO Hook up JUST the drivers side terminal and then check the other large terminal with a test light or meter. There should be NO power to that terminal (there will be power to the starter relay.) If there ispower to both large terminals, replace the GPR. If there is no power, hook up the other small wires one at a time checking the large terminal for power each time.

If there has been no power then hook up the other large terminal and turn on the key and NOW there should be power to both larger terminals. (you should have heard a click as the GPR energized. The other large terminal (pass. side) will have power for approx . 120 seconds, it varies. KOEO Pass. side terminal should have no power and the GPR should not be smoking.

Keep us informed.

Rog