Garage & Workshop Tips & Ideas for the garage or workshop. No Truck Tech Discussion   

spray paint

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2008, 07:09 PM
cracked block
Mountain Pass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile spray paint

Hey guys, just got a used topper for my ranger. Want to paint it but have never done any spray paint. My question is: Would a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight do the job? They have one on sale for $19.95. What type of paint would you recommend, and what type of mixers? How much air does a HVLP gun need? Thanks for your time.

Old 03-21-2008, 01:52 AM
Super Steve
Laughing Gas
I painted the shell for my 4-runner about ten tears ago.
I used a 20$ campbell hausfeld gun from walmart.
It worked fine and was about as hard as spray painting with a can.
Just follow the instructions for the paint you buy and follow the instructions for the gun and you should have no problems.
Mine was before the advent of HVLP guns, but I'm guessing those should use less air than the old convential guns since they are supposed to be more efficient.
The mixers all depend on the type of paint. Your paint guy will help you with all that. You will probably need a qurt of paint.
Make sure you use a filter on the air that goes to your gun so you don't contaminate the paint with oil/water from the compressor.

Old 03-21-2008, 05:25 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by cracked block
Hey guys, just got a used topper for my ranger. Want to paint it but have never done any spray paint. My question is: Would a cheap spray gun from Harbor Freight do the job? They have one on sale for $19.95. What type of paint would you recommend, and what type of mixers? How much air does a HVLP gun need? Thanks for your time.
Sure, why not?

Air requirements vary greatly. Proper atomizing air v/s fluid tip ect..
Can you post a link to the gun you want to buy, or the specs?

I switched from conventional to HVLP conversion guns (high pressure in, low pressure out) for cabinet work some years ago and found I had to 're-learn' my spray technique, you wouldn't have that issue.
Transfer efficency improved dramatically. (the finish stays on the surface rather than blowing a huge cloud everywhere)

Depending on where you live, state regulations about V.O.C.'s. will limit your choices of paint. I don't know about Florida. I would think an Enamel paint would be your best (and safest) choice.

By mixers I assume you mean Reducers, or thinners... and that would depend on what paint you get and the temperature and humidity the day you're spraying.

Old 03-21-2008, 08:31 AM
gbadgley
Senior User
A cheap gun will work fine on what you are doing. Lighting is the key, you have to be able to watch spray as it hits the surface. Start around 40psi at the gun. I use a 3/1 mix for enamal paint. Greg

Old 03-21-2008, 07:29 PM
02xlt3.0
Senior User
I asked a similar question about compressors and what size I'd need to paint on the paint and bodywork forum a while ago.
https://www.ford-trucks.com<WBR>/forums/showthread.php?t<WBR>=701600&goto=newpost
Check it out for some opinions on compressors and paint guns.