Sponsored by:

STGs D60 tech thread Part 2- Crossover steering

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 10:18 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by STGFordCrazy04

If you look at these two pics you can basically see the whole thing. I kinda broke-did my truck so once I fix it Ill take some pics and post them up
if you could get picture 2 but of the driver side(when you get a chance), it would help me out with this crazy idea i have. thanks

Old 03-28-2008, 11:33 AM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brady,
Ill get the pic for you today.

Run the idea by me and maybe I can offer a suggestion

Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
BradyCouchman
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
ok well and this is just a pipe dream know but i am trying to come up with a way to do a 4X4 convertion on my truck(i know go buy one right? well its a long bed crew cab, not to many of them are 4X4) and i am trying to find a way to use the 2wd steering box with a cross over steering setup, but i am woried that the steering arm will hit the drive shaft or the pumkin, but i was also thinking that i might be able to put a bend in the steering arm but i dont know how this will compermise the steering ability. i did a drawing (i am no artest bare in mind) and put it in one of my galleries if you want to take a look at it.

Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
Wow, is that right over the spring pack on the drivers side,

how much room do you figure if your springs were to compress....

Old 03-28-2008, 02:21 PM
HighProCam
Senior User
https://www.ford-trucks.com/user_gal...&albumid=14333

For more pics and info... This Guy here Ivanribic, had a pretty nice x-over setup

Old 03-28-2008, 02:27 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Ivan who?

GDMF10CLSUXBAWLS

Old 03-28-2008, 02:29 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
But he also has a really decent amount of lift on that truck. It's huge... a different animal from a truck with a few inches of lift.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Brady,
I dont have much experience with the older 250s (older than 77.5 style) but Im quite sure you will need to move your steering box to the front of the frame rail. The rear mounted 2wd box wont work because the drag link is angled back toward the cab and would cause all types of binding and clearance issues. My suggestion is buy a 78-79 F250/350 power steering box and mount it in the correct location of that year. Ill give you the measurements if you need it. This will not only give you a far superior power steering setup but will also make life easier setting up the steering linkages.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:59 PM
ramboss429
Posting Guru
I'm going to be doing this swap shortly on my '67 F100 (it has '75 F250 highboy steering now). I need to get a new power steering box, and a power steering pump. Anyone have any reccomendations on places to get either?

Thanks for the write up!

Old 06-13-2008, 03:58 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Id find a 77.5-79 F250 power steering box and a saginaw power steering pump.

Sag pumps look like a canned ham. PM me if you want some pics and what vehicles came with them.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:05 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
Nice writeup, definitely rep for it (edit: ok, I can't give you anymore rep, sorry). Those steering arms are pretty sexy too. (are they dedenbauer, just a guess off the color)

On FTE and other offroad sites you will hear almost daily to upgrade your steering to crossover vs the factory push pull but you never see write ups. After reading everything FTE had to offer and deciding to jump into it head first I see why. Many of the biggest advocates are posers who have never actually done it. I could go on and on of why I dispise incorrect information but rather than bore you to death Ill continue.
I've never done it on a 60 and I tell people to do it all the time. I guess I'm a poser, XTR3ME Y0!

Good advice FTE posers!
Must be talking to me!

You will notice I was trying to run a high steer tie rod connecting the two knuckles. High steer moves the tie rod up above the leaf springs to get it out the way of rocks stumps etc. Later I will show you why this IS NOT possible from what Ive seen. I am using crossover steering arms that I bought off ebay. They were $180 for the pair but you will only need the passenger side because the driver side wont be used. Some sites sell them seperate so do that if you can. If you can show me pics of it done please do. I love being proved wrong. The arms came reamed for Chevy TREs so thats one less thing to do.
For you it doesn't work... I don't see why it wouldn't work for someone w/ more lift & a pitman arm that didn't drop. I mean, I think you're saying it wouldn't work because the drag link and pitman arm will hit the tie rod. Of course, I've never done it on a truck like yours and on a 60, so I naturally have no idea what I'm talking about. At all.

Ivan who?
You're kidding... right?

Old 06-15-2008, 02:29 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by RawPower
Nice writeup, definitely rep for it (edit: ok, I can't give you anymore rep, sorry). Those steering arms are pretty sexy too. (are they dedenbauer, just a guess off the color)
I bought them off ebay and painted them that color (dont tell anyone but its chebby engine orange)

I've never done it on a 60 and I tell people to do it all the time. I guess I'm a poser, XTR3ME Y0!
You have more fab skills that I do so I say go for it.

Must be talking to me!
POSER!

For you it doesn't work... I don't see why it wouldn't work for someone w/ more lift & a pitman arm that didn't drop. I mean, I think you're saying it wouldn't work because the drag link and pitman arm will hit the tie rod. Of course, I've never done it on a truck like yours and on a 60, so I naturally have no idea what I'm talking about. At all.
from what Ive seen with these steering arms its not possible regardless of lift because the tie rod and drag link form and X. On my arms there are 2 holes on the passenger side and 1 on the driver. There is no other way than run the tie rod in the farthest forward hole and the drag link to the rear on the passenger side. Now the drag link will hit the tie rod with even a 8"+ lift and stock pitman. The only possible solution would be move the factory steering box back about 4-5". Highsteer wasnt that important to me and Ive already got rid of the driver side steering arm.

You're kidding... right?
yeah Im kidding. I posted this during the time where any mention of Ivan Pro or their new website would put you on a week long vacation from FTE.

Glad you liked the write up.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:33 PM
dragogt
Posting Guru
Kris whats the site E-mail if you have to... dragogt05@yahoo .com

Old 06-15-2008, 02:40 PM
RawPower
Postmaster
I bought them off ebay and painted them that color (dont tell anyone but its chebby engine orange)
I still think they are sexy. I like that they came tapered for Chevy TRE's and that they have some serious shielding around the nuts for the knuckle studs.

from what Ive seen with these steering arms its not possible regardless of lift because the tie rod and drag link form and X. On my arms there are 2 holes on the passenger side and 1 on the driver. There is no other way than run the tie rod in the farthest forward hole and the drag link to the rear on the passenger side. Now the drag link will hit the tie rod with even a 8"+ lift and stock pitman. The only possible solution would be move the factory steering box back about 4-5". Highsteer wasnt that important to me and Ive already got rid of the driver side steering arm.
Oh gotcha. I always thought the passenger steering arm was made longer so as to use the front hole for the draglink and the rear for the tie rod.

yeah Im kidding. I posted this during the time where any mention of Ivan Pro or their new website would put you on a week long vacation from FTE.
haha ok, I knew you were around here back in FTE's golden days, so I was a little puzzled. I wasn't aware that mentioning Ivanribic or Proeliator could get oneself banned. Thats too bad.

Glad you liked the write up.
Yup, thanks for it. This and your other 60 tech thread are bookmarked.

Old 06-15-2008, 02:47 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
I still think they are sexy. I like that they came tapered for Chevy TRE's and that they have some serious shielding around the nuts for the knuckle studs.
here is the ebay link. When I bought them about 9 months ago they were about $180 buy it now.
eBay Motors: DANA 60 HIGH STEER ARM.DANA 60 HYDRUALIC STEERING (item 260249616615 end time Jun-16-08 07:00:26 PDT)

Oh gotcha. I always thought the passenger steering arm was made longer so as to use the front hole for the draglink and the rear for the tie rod.
These are both the same length. If they were built like you said it would work perfectly.

haha ok, I knew you were around here back in FTE's golden days, so I was a little puzzled. I wasn't aware that mentioning Ivanribic or Proeliator could get oneself banned. Thats too bad.
yep, I got a few days off and my PM priveledges suspended for about 6 weeks because I mentioned their site.

Yup, thanks for it. This and your other 60 tech thread are bookmarked.
Cool man.

Quick Reply: STGs D60 tech thread Part 2- Crossover steering