2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AEM Dry Flow Air Filter

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 02:35 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AEM Dry Flow Air Filter

Just ordered one (AEM Dry Flow direct fit air filter for my F-150 5.4L), and I know everyone has there opinions on "air filters", I really want to know who has one of these in there trucks, How's the performance increase?, and will this compliment my Air Raid M.I.T. (intake tube) that I installed last week?(Which Iam already seen a huge throttle response from alone!) Also do I have to disconnect the Negative cable on my battery so the computer could reset and know that theres a better filter in the air box? I ordered from Tonnocover.com $39.95 plus the cleaner solution as well. Everywhere where I live the auto & truck parts stores kept pushing K&N filters on me, saying there better to use, the oil filtrates better and blah, blah, blah. I looked into Wix filters also but the Napa auto store says they have not made the Wix HP series for my F-150, I said yes they have people are using them in the F-150's thats why Iam asking ya"pal"! There regualar Wix filter for the 5.4L was $32.50 not the HP series. Hope I made a good decision. Jeff

Old 03-07-2008, 03:40 PM
rdalley
Junior User
I have one in a stock intake. I havent noticed any gain in MPG but it is a stock truck. I bought it for the ability wash and reuse without oil.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:21 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
change your intake tube

Originally Posted by rdalley
I have one in a stock intake. I havent noticed any gain in MPG but it is a stock truck. I bought it for the ability wash and reuse without oil.
Iam thinking if you changed your intake tube maybe you will see MPG gains, the intake tube stock has resinaters to keep it quiet and that robs free flowing air. I noticed bigtime throttle increase when I changed my tube now can't wait for the filter to arrive to complete the process.

Old 03-07-2008, 04:41 PM
kd4crs
Senior User
I just received my AEM DryFlow dropin filter from www.ajusa.com and I really like it. It has a good sturdy frame and the Ford recommended felt seal gasket. The best part is no oil to fool with after cleaning or to contaminate the MAF sensor.

Old 03-07-2008, 08:20 PM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
I have one in my 5.4 FX4 and my Highway/City mileage went from 15 average to 16.5 average and I have the stock setup. I must be one of the lucky ones but my truck has always motor'd so other than the increased mileage she runs pretty much the same just cheaper perr gallon of gas.

Old 03-07-2008, 09:19 PM
rdalley
Junior User
Originally Posted by SteelHorse08
Iam thinking if you changed your intake tube maybe you will see MPG gains, the intake tube stock has resinaters to keep it quiet and that robs free flowing air. I noticed bigtime throttle increase when I changed my tube now can't wait for the filter to arrive to complete the process.
I had the AEM Brute Force intake with the dry filter but it was so noisy it sounded like I had an exhaust on it too. I didnt like the noise so I got rid of it and bought the dry fit oem replacement filter. Maybe I am getting old but I love how quiet this truck is.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:41 AM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
more mpg's is what Iam after

I had the AEM Brute Force intake with the dry filter but it was so noisy it sounded like I had an exhaust on it too. I didnt like the noise so I got rid of it and bought the dry fit oem replacement filter. Maybe I am getting old but I love how quiet this truck is.
Ya thats why I got the intake tube only not the CAI set-up, I like to keep the stock air box in place theres a reason for it there, anyways I figure I made a good decision on purchase, more mpg is what I was after and better flow to compliment the unrestrictive intake tube I put in. The stock tube was large and took up alot of room this new tube cleaned up the engine bay nice get lots of compliments under the hood, thanks Airaid! Thanks for all replies everyone.

Old 03-08-2008, 08:44 AM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
cleaning solution for the filter.......

Originally Posted by kd4crs
I just received my AEM DryFlow dropin filter from www.ajusa.com and I really like it. It has a good sturdy frame and the Ford recommended felt seal gasket. The best part is no oil to fool with after cleaning or to contaminate the MAF sensor.
I know you just got it but did you feel a difference in throttle response when you first drove your truck with it in? Did you purchase the cleaning solution as well, it said something like dont use regular soap, or solvents of any kind, thats why I got the cleaning stuff for, jusst aasking is all, thanks.

Old 03-08-2008, 09:17 AM
FX4Joe
Freshman User
On the outside of the box it said to clean it with Simple Green and water so that's what I plan on using for mine.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:51 AM
waynesworld
New User
I have seen about 1 MPG increase in city driving with the AEM OEM filter. I am old so I now like that I don't hear the engine. I would only use the AEM filter cleaner it is a very light cleaning solution. If you don't delute the others exactly you may cause problems. I intend to keep my 2007 5.4 king ranch 2X2 as stock as I can. Any other suggestions for improving MPG but no loud noises. Love this truck.

Old 03-08-2008, 11:53 AM
waynesworld
New User
That is 4X2 sorry.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:06 PM
rdalley
Junior User
Ya thats why I got the intake tube only not the CAI set-up, I like to keep the stock air box in place theres a reason for it there, anyways I figure I made a good decision on purchase, more mpg is what I was after and better flow to compliment the unrestrictive intake tube I put in. The stock tube was large and took up alot of room this new tube cleaned up the engine bay nice get lots of compliments under the hood, thanks Airaid! Thanks for all replies everyone.
Now you have me interested in the MIT tube. Is it as quiet as stock? When you get the drop in filter from air raid let me know if you see an even bigger improvement in mileage and performance. I may have to get on enow.

Old 03-08-2008, 12:26 PM
SteelHorse08
Senior User
Now you have me interested in the MIT tube. Is it as quiet as stock? When you get the drop in filter from air raid let me know if you see an even bigger improvement in mileage and performance. I may have to get on enow.
It's not gonna be an Airaid filter it's gonna be AEM dry flow direct replacement filter to replace the stock filter but yes the replacemewnt tube from Airaid has woke up the engine with great throttle response can't wait to put the AEM filter in to see more increase, mpg's is what Iam after.

Old 03-08-2008, 02:26 PM
kd4crs
Senior User
I know you just got it but did you feel a difference in throttle response when you first drove your truck with it in? Did you purchase the cleaning solution as well, it said something like dont use regular soap, or solvents of any kind, thats why I got the cleaning stuff for, jusst aasking is all, thanks.
I haven't really noticed a big difference but I am already running an Edge Evo so that makes the biggest difference. As for cleaning I plan on using Simple Green but you can't go wrong buying the AEM clening kit, either.

Old 03-09-2008, 07:22 PM
johngfla
Freshman User
I have an 08 F150, 5.4, but I have not been able to locate this AEM filter. Whats the direct link? Thanks

Quick Reply: AEM Dry Flow Air Filter