Sponsored by:

Doved Front End

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 07:36 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Doved Front End

well guys, i put full hydro on a slight hold for the time being. it seems i am going to dove the front of the bronco while I have the chance. the reason i am doing this now and before i finish the steering build is b/c the remote res and the steering valve will be mounted on the fender/firewall somewhere. i didnt want to finish the steering build and then decide i want to move everything around for a better fit.

SO while i was in there i also cut out the engine crossmember. it will get in the way of the ram later on. i will be replacing it with a smaller piece of equal strength material (1/4" 2" x 2" pipe).

i also dont like the way my radius arm mounts hang down so i am cutting the current ones off and put back the stock ones (they hug the frame like i want). this will mean i need to cut off the axle wedges and turn them to keep my pinion angle right.

to frame out the front clip portion i will be extending my roll cage to the front adding a hoop connecting both frame rails and then tying that hoop to my current A-pillar tubes through the firewall. i will then weld on tabs along the tube to attach my fender skins to to keep the bronco look. as well as add mounts to hang my radiator on. i will have to cut my grill down to size to fit the fenders as well as my hood.

here are some pics...

-cutts-

Old 02-24-2008, 08:16 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
There you go Cutts! Should have enoug work to keep you buisy for a couple weeks (or if you work like me a, several moths).

Have the radius arm drop brackets been getting hung up on rocks?

Good to hear you are keeping as much of the bronco look as possible though.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:35 PM
captain p4
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
cool.

I thought you were 4 linking it? or was that the back?

Is that passenger side arm wristed?

Old 02-24-2008, 08:54 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
haha, well i was planning on going to RiverRock sometime mid-March-ish but its not looking like it at all! i am sure i will be working on all of this through at least may, unfortunately! i don't have the time during the week anymore and i have to split weekends b/t friends/family, bronco, and girlfriend! i cherish my Saturdays!

4-link is in the planning stages... i have a LOOOOOTTTTT to learn before i attempt it. and that is going to be on the rear. the front i am pretty much pleased with. yes the radius arm mounts keep dragging on rocks. in fact back in Oct i was embarrassingly hung on a rock b/t my radius arm mount and t-case! then 2 weekends ago i almost got into a similar situation! time for change.

yes pass side arm is wristed... one of the best/cheapest mods i've done to date!

-cutts-

Old 02-27-2008, 04:11 PM
davethecow
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WOW cutts..I remember way back when we were talkin about wristing our rigs.I did mine simular to yours,but then i changed to hiem joints and custom mounts.Thinkin about the doin the same with my waggy.

Old 02-27-2008, 04:40 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
Why did you paint your knuckles orange. Man thats ghey! I guess you wanted them to match your roll cage so Ill go easy on ya.

Looks good man but do you realize that by the time youre done with dove tailing the front and extending the cage (Im sure you do) how close youll be to a full tube chassis? Scrap the frame and bend some tube...just that easy!

Again, Lookin good!

Old 02-27-2008, 04:46 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
Originally Posted by STGFordCrazy04
Why did you paint your knuckles orange. Man thats ghey! I guess you wanted them to match your roll cage so Ill go easy on ya.

Looks good man but do you realize that by the time youre done with dove tailing the front and extending the cage (Im sure you do) how close youll be to a full tube chassis? Scrap the frame and bend some tube...just that easy!

Again, Lookin good!
i know right......orange knuckles are for homos!!!!!

its starting to look like somthing for sure....hurry up and get it done! and when you go to the shop this weekend, pick up my steering box

Old 02-27-2008, 04:48 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by quadzjr
when you go to the shop this weekend, pick up my steering box
Whats the hurry? is the front axle even done yet?

Insert pirate flip off here

Old 02-27-2008, 04:52 PM
quadzjr
just another Rockwell looser
Whats the hurry? is the front axle even done yet?

Insert pirate flip off here
EHHHHH....IT WILL BE DONE THIS WEEKEND!!!!.....i want it now b/c next weekend will be installing the 4link and measuring for a panhard, to do the panhard i need the steering box in so i can keep the same angle as my draglink...

Old 02-28-2008, 06:38 AM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver

Again, Lookin good!
shoot man, thats a lot more tube and a lot more work! with the stock frame i dont have to worry about mounts for engine, tranny, t-case, etc. Plus early bronco frames are not weak! they have nothing in common with 80's style broncos. early bronoc frames are stout because they are fully boxed! i feel very confident that frame will be good till the end. not to mention if i ran tube frame there would be no flat surfaces! i'd have to practically rework everything. i'm happy with the stock frame not to mention at least i can still say there is still some original bronco left in her!

when i build my 4 seater early bronco with rear steer rockwells and cummins 4BT i will start it off with a tube frame, but until then, i shall revel in a true bronco

thanks for the motivation, i hope to get a real good jump this weekend. if i could get the tube work done and at least start hanging the fenders i will feel accomplished! the hood is what has me nervous!

-cutts-

Old 02-28-2008, 06:47 AM
greythorn3
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
is tha a parts mike high steer arm on the d60? how well does it clear the coils at full turn? i just ordered a set and as curious,

Ray

Old 02-28-2008, 10:25 AM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
dedenbear i'm pretty sure... .maybe I saw it somewhere else?

Old 02-28-2008, 12:08 PM
STGFordCrazy04
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by fishmanndotcom
shoot man, thats a lot more tube and a lot more work! with the stock frame i dont have to worry about mounts for engine, tranny, t-case, etc. Plus early bronco frames are not weak! they have nothing in common with 80's style broncos. early bronoc frames are stout because they are fully boxed! i feel very confident that frame will be good till the end. not to mention if i ran tube frame there would be no flat surfaces! i'd have to practically rework everything. i'm happy with the stock frame not to mention at least i can still say there is still some original bronco left in her!

-cutts-
Im messin' with ya man.

Exactly what part of an EB would be a 4 seater on rear stear rocks? Pretty much hack the whole tub up?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:22 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
Im messin' with ya man.

Exactly what part of an EB would be a 4 seater on rear stear rocks? Pretty much hack the whole tub up?
lol i know

just the skinsand grill!

no thats a dedenbear arm (driver) and a shakerbuilt arm (pass)

-cutts-

Old 03-02-2008, 06:54 PM
fishmanndotcom
Lead Driver
ok guys... i spent all weekend out at the shop getting this build going. i finished the cage up front, mounted the fenders and even got the grill cut, rewelded and mounted up. my next big project is going to be doing the hood which i am not looking forward to. i also got the remaining factory bracketry and engine crossmember chopped off and cleaned up. looks uber-clean! no pics as of yet but will be going back out this week. i forgot my stinking camera but if i do say so myself, its looking really good!

-cutts-

Quick Reply: Doved Front End