Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about 2wd to 4wd conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 10:45 PM
override
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question about 2wd to 4wd conversion

I know I know most guys are thinking; why would you do a 2wd to 4wd drive conversion when you can just sell the truck and buy a 4wd? Well I have a 1990 F-150 2wd with 80,000 miles on it. The truck was purchased buy my dad in 1991 and has been given to me just recently by him. It's got sentimental value if you will. I think I have a pretty good bearing on what to expect while doing this conversion. I plan on buying a doner truck to make things easier. My question is this: The truck I have now has 80,000 miles on it and the transmission shifts very very nice. Can I use the 2wd tranny if I take the housing for the "Married" transfer case off of the doner trucks tranny and put it on my tranny? Also will this housing be the same from manual to automatic tranny? Sorry for the length but thanks for any help.

Old 02-23-2008, 05:19 PM
ReAX
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I wouldn't expect the transfer case coupler to have the same bolt pattern between autos and manuals. Your best bet is to find a 4wd with your same transmission, as you will need the driveshafts too. Be sure to pick up a rear shaft for the same wheel base in 4wd, it will be several inches shorter than yours and probably not have a slip yoke and be a two piece shaft.

Another problem I believe you will run into is the radius arm brackets as shorter on the 2wd so you my need to either move yours back or remove yours and replace them with the 4wd's brackets. I found a good website with another guys attemp to do this, try searching for it, he had a lot of information.