1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Truck Buying/Dealer Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 09:18 AM
shepherds56
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck Buying/Dealer Suggestions

Any suggestions on dealers and pricing?. Live in Utah but will drive/fly for good price.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:33 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
I spent the last few weeks shopping online and over the phone to find the truck that I wanted and for the price that I wanted to pay. I have purchased 4 new trucks since 02, 3 from Lawrence Marshall in Hempstead,TX and one from Gullo Ford in Conroe, TX - both just outside of Houston,TX. I have gotten at least $10,000 off MSRP on all 3 Fords with $11,565 last week on my 2008, Job 3 build, F350, Lariet, Diesel that had only been on the lot for 14 days and had 15miles on it. Woodhouse Ford in Nebraska was also willing to work out a great deal but it was too far/expensive to travel. If you have any further questions, send me a PM.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:42 AM
safehaven
New User
I do not have any recomendations for a specific dealer. But I do have a couple of suggestions for the purchase in general.

First off, bypass all of the salesmen and find out if they have an internet sales manager. This will cut out a lot of the BS associated with buying a vehicle. In my experience, the internet sales manager has all of the same powers of decision making as the floor sales manager does. So their will be none of that daunting back and forth of the salesmen to the sales manager. Also, you are cutting out a commision, so theoretically, they should be able to sell you the vehicle for less.

Next, choose a reasonable price that you want to pay and a reasonable price for your trade (if applicable). Stick to it. If they don't want to do what you want, do not be affraid to walk away. Most cases, if you are being reasonable, they will not let you get very far. And if they do let you go, there are a lot of dealerships with a lot of inventory to choose from.

Personally, I never pay over invoice. They will tell you at that price they are not making much money. It is a load of poo. They are still making money. I just ordered a truck and got it for $200.00 under invoice without too much effort on my part. I always order mine through a fleet department. I am very picky about the options and colors. The only way I can get what I want and be happy is to order. If you are not picky and find a vehicle on a lot, most of the time the will have a special or two and maybe you might be able to do better than invoice. Depends on how bad they want to sell something.

Those are the tricks I use, and they work for me. Might not work for others. The biggest key in it all is to be patient and don't let them take advatage of you.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:53 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
Safehaven makes good points, be honest with them and if they are a good dealer they will return the favor. I shopped around by email first and once I found dealers that were willing to work a deal I called them. Once I told them about what Woodhouse had offered me they let me know if they could match their price or if I should look elseware. Tommy Vaughn Ford in Houston is also an excellent dealer, very well informed and straight up.

Old 02-20-2008, 10:57 AM
Larry NCKS
Elder User
Dick Edwards Ford Manhattan, Kansas 785-776-4004 ask for Wayde Houghtaling (pronounced Hoteling)

Old 02-20-2008, 02:11 PM
Chauncey
Senior User
I think a good game plan is to start at invoice and then subtract your incentives at the time you buy. Last I looked, there was $2K off + another 1K if you currently own a SD of earlier vintage. My deal ended up @ $1500 below invoice. Which if memory serves, was about 11 K off MSRP. Once you establish the price you want to pay, finding the dealer is easy as long as you are willing to travel a bit. And yes, dealing with someone on line is a lot easier than going to the lots. And don't be afraid to ask for adds such as 1st and 2nd service included, or tires for life, (if the dealership is close by), or free spray in bedliner. The list goes on. I got the bedliner and bed cover included. by asking for it. Good luck in shopping and remember, the first one to talk after you tell them what you want, looses. Just my 1.5 cents

Old 02-20-2008, 03:10 PM
Tom Hoffman
Senior User
Ok I stopped by the dealer today and picked up info on a new truck

sticker 54,985.00 invoice 50,034.74 a&z plan 47,951.99 D- plan 48051.99
X- plan 49,909.60

I get x-plan now! what should I pay for this?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:58 PM
aggiect01
Senior User
Some people like going off the invoice I prefer to work from the window sticker. My window sticker was $52,645 and I paid $41,100 before tt&l.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Pioneer Ford in Lynden, Washington, is offering 1 penny over invoice minus all rebates, on all instock vehicles, if they have to go get you one its $250.00 extra.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:43 PM
lookin71
Freshman User
1-800-car-mall

Years ago I spoke to Chris Chealander at Fallon Auto Mall. They deal with many different manufacturers, including Ford. Chris told me they sell lots of vehicles and they will compete with ANY price. I don't see him on the current website, so I don't know if he is there. May want to ask them.

They actually advertise in different magazines.

May want to call them. They are in Fallon, Nevada.

I can get the A plan here. It generally knocks about $10,000 off the price.

http://www.fallonautomall.com/

Old 02-21-2008, 11:12 PM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aggiect01
I spent the last few weeks shopping online and over the phone to find the truck that I wanted and for the price that I wanted to pay. I have purchased 4 new trucks since 02, 3 from Lawrence Marshall in Hempstead,TX and one from Gullo Ford in Conroe, TX - both just outside of Houston,TX. I have gotten at least $10,000 off MSRP on all 3 Fords with $11,565 last week on my 2008, Job 3 build, F350, Lariet, Diesel that had only been on the lot for 14 days and had 15miles on it. Woodhouse Ford in Nebraska was also willing to work out a great deal but it was too far/expensive to travel. If you have any further questions, send me a PM.
Jesse can you tell me who you dealt with at Marshall? I'm in the market for a 350 lariat
thanks,Dean

Old 02-22-2008, 08:05 AM
aggiect01
Senior User
Dax Edwards
Sales Consultant
Lawrence Marshall Dealerships - Hempstead
979-826-7117 Cell 832-605-8373

Here is his information, he is a very nice guy and the whole process took me less than 20 min. to make the deal. The financing guy will try to add on a bunch of pointless stuff but I rejected them all. Let him know I sent you.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:38 AM
jamesoja
Freshman User
I have spoken with Randy in Denver many times and he has always answered my questions. Many people speak very highly of him and I would at least contact him via email or phone to see if he could assist you. I am about to order one very soon.

"You get the rebates for the state/county where the truck is reg. And no I don't collect sales tax for CO.
If I can find/get you the truck you want, you just pay Invoice cost...that's it.

thanks randy 303 584-6623

Good Luck!
Jason

Old 02-22-2008, 08:47 AM
abnrngr1986
Freshman User
Originally Posted by aggiect01
Dax Edwards
Sales Consultant
Lawrence Marshall Dealerships - Hempstead
979-826-7117 Cell 832-605-8373

Here is his information, he is a very nice guy and the whole process took me less than 20 min. to make the deal. The financing guy will try to add on a bunch of pointless stuff but I rejected them all. Let him know I sent you.
thanks for the info

Old 02-22-2008, 09:39 AM
countrycar
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Tom Hoffman
Ok I stopped by the dealer today and picked up info on a new truck

sticker 54,985.00 invoice 50,034.74 a&z plan 47,951.99 D- plan 48051.99
X- plan 49,909.60

I get x-plan now! what should I pay for this?
Hey Tom, if you plan on using your X plan, then you will not be able to haggle yourself a deal. They are designed this way. So with the price of diesel and so fourth, you can get a better deal rightnow then using even a D-plan, which is the employe plan. The internet is a great place to find a great deal, but another option and generaly a cheaper one is to deal with the fleet manager. Most people think that unless you are buying in fleet that you can't deal with him. Not true! He will sell any vehicle on the lot as well with no BS. They make money on the amount of Units they move, and not on each individual unit sold and they also get incentives from Ford, for units sold as well. Also, if you know your credit is good, 700 or better you qualify for the prime rate's. Ask what the prime rate is, and ask to see there rate sheet as well, so that you can confirm your rate. If your credit is good, it's generaly better to go with the prime rate than it is to go with the incentives as well. Most people forget to ask this info because they tend to concentrate on the price of the knew truck and trade in value, and the sales staff count on this. Lastly, always check your paper work in finance. Don't just sign where they tell yah too. Check that the rate is as they've said. Check that the price is as they've said. And check that the trade in price,is also what they quoted you if you are trading in. I can't tell you how many people don't check this info. The best time's to buy is the first thing in the morning. Add to this, the first day of the month or the last day of the month, and or right at closing time. The dealer like to start off the month strong and the same goes for the end of the month, and they will be alot more flexible with the price because it becomes about units moved and not holding gross. Hope you get a great deal. Take Care. Country

Quick Reply: Truck Buying/Dealer Suggestions