2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Volant Cold Air

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 10:32 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Mine does the same thing and was a b*tch to get onto the throttle body. Let us know what the tech folks over at Volant have to say...

Old 02-25-2008, 09:42 AM
tooldad
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Plastic molding

It sounds like you do have a problem in the way of a deformitty that occurred at the manufacturer, so you should return it. In terms of the process, the inserts were probably molded in place, not a secondary operation.

I do not have the Volant, but rather the Rousch/Air Raid CAI. The coupling you have between the intake tube and the throttlebody looks like the one I have between the intake tube and the filter box. My unit uses the OEM gasket at the throttlebody, so this looks suspect to me. I would like to suggest that you check to see if your OEM gasket will work. That would lower the intake tube significantly and eliminate the interference problem you have.

Old 02-25-2008, 12:09 PM
Twinsdad98
Elder User
just spoke with Dan at tech support and they are sending me a new tube. it sounds like the die for the hole is getting worn so Volant will be contacting their supplier t resolve that as well. Great support and can't wait for my new tube. Will post again once I receive the new part.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:29 PM
4DOORSR
Senior User
Nice, I just picked up mine today!

Old 02-29-2008, 09:05 PM
Super Trooper 07
New User
Thumbs down Just Installed

Well, I just installed my Volant CAI with power core filter along with a Helix throttle body spacer on my 05 FX4. All I can say is I am very dissappointed with the immediate results. According to my Edge, my MPG didn't change at all, my air intake stayed the same or even warmer, and my MAF sensor is showing the exact same flow. The only plus I can tell to this point is maybe a little better throttle response when I get on it!

Last edited by Super Trooper 07; 02-29-2008 at 09:11 PM. Reason: adding year
Old 03-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Super Trooper 07
Helix throttle body spacer on my 05 FX4
why a throttle body spacer? those things don't work on EFI cars. they work really well on carbuerated motors though.

maybe if our motors had injectors in the upper intake (like 90's Chevy) the spacer would work, but with direct port injection...it's pointless.

Old 03-29-2008, 02:33 AM
XolieX
Elder User
can anybody provide pics of this installed because i'm interested in one and am willing to buy soon! also, want to buy the easiest CAI to install and not want to struggle putting it on!

Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 AM
BandBFord
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Volant installation...

I installed my Volant this week and had several issues previously mentioned in this post here's what I found...

1. The air box - the bolt holes were off by over an inch in the bottom which was a simple fix

2. The tube did hit the bottom of the cowl until I shortened the hose

3. The hole for the mass air meter was the correct size but the bolt holes were off by a 1/4 hole on each side. I just used a step drill to open the holes in the mass air meter one size (it aluminum and easy to drill).

Overall I am very pleased with the kit on a scale of (low) 1-5 (high) I would give the overall kit a 4, performance a 5 (for fun factor if nothing else) and fit and finish a 3.

I would suggest allowing yourself plenty of time for installation - assemble the tube and air box without the clamps (or at least not tight) and install it on the truck checking for fit if everything lines up correctly great if not a little trimming here maybe a little drilling there and it will work.

Hope this helps...

Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 PM
f-150 on 22's
Senior User
Just bought my CAI kit yesterday with the powercore filter!!!!! I can't wait to get it installed!

Old 03-30-2008, 12:07 AM
XolieX
Elder User
i'm wanting to install this for a lil more kick off the throttle! i'm not wanting the added noise because i'm a STEREO FREAK! so i want to be able to listen to my nice hi's in my doors and etc! just having the power and throttle response is nice but i don't want the engine noise! a little bit would be ok though. thats why i'm just going to keep that aftermarket muffler the dealer installed on my car which sounds good at idle and its dead quite at cruise and drive!

or i might just get the edge! i found a website that said its 400 + shipping!

so i'm in the middle of buying either! at the moment i can't buy both, i'm debating which one is first! or do i even want a cold air intake due to the added noise!

Old 03-30-2008, 07:51 AM
derek4343
Senior User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
cold air kit

i have one i don't need(volant cai with lower cold ram tube),i traded in my truck.pm me. and a edge programmer.

Old 03-30-2008, 10:20 AM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Wink

Originally Posted by Super Trooper 07
Well, I just installed my Volant CAI with power core filter along with a Helix throttle body spacer on my 05 FX4. All I can say is I am very dissappointed with the immediate results. According to my Edge, my MPG didn't change at all, my air intake stayed the same or even warmer, and my MAF sensor is showing the exact same flow. The only plus I can tell to this point is maybe a little better throttle response when I get on it!
Watch out man...I said something like that (of course, I didn't spend the money to prove it) and got blasted for saying it. Your mileage will stay the same, and your intake temp will also. Oh yeah, flow also.

Sorry, but those are FACTS. Same with the "Ram Air" ones. Ram Air tubes might boost a little if they were a straight shot, but once you start adding twists and turns, you negate the effect, much like twists and turns in an exhaust system. The air will compress slightlty at the first turn, and slow down. I tried one of the Edge tuners yesterday and while I noticed a difference, a bottle would have been better for racing the chebby's and doggy's...

If you're happy with it, kudo's to you!! If you bought it because the mfg said you'd get more HP, better MPG, etc; you got ripped off.

Old 03-30-2008, 12:22 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by XolieX
just having the power and throttle response is nice but i don't want the engine noise! a little bit would be ok though

or i might just get the edge! i found a website that said its 400 + shipping!

so i'm in the middle of buying either! at the moment i can't buy both, i'm debating which one is first! or do i even want a cold air intake due to the added noise!
get the Edge...hands down, that is the best bang for your buck. Volant is cool and all, but the Edge is cooler.

I have the Volant and it isn't too loud. I know it's there, but honestly 1/2 the time I forget about it unless I really stomp the gas. Then the truck sounds like it has an old 4 barrel under the hood. . Also, when it's cold out and you first start the truck, it sounds like a freakin bear is under the hood. The thing roars for about 1 minute and then it all settles out. About 2-3 blocks.

I also have the stock radio and I can drive around town with the volume turned "up" so that 2 of the "bars" are showing for volume strength. With the windows up, 2 or 2.5 volume bars are all I ever need.

Originally Posted by F0rdzTuff
Watch out man...I said something like that (of course, I didn't spend the money to prove it) and got blasted for saying it. Your mileage will stay the same, and your intake temp will also. Oh yeah, flow also.

Sorry, but those are FACTS. Same with the "Ram Air" ones. Ram Air tubes might boost a little if they were a straight shot, but once you start adding twists and turns, you negate the effect, much like twists and turns in an exhaust system. The air will compress slightlty at the first turn, and slow down. I tried one of the Edge tuners yesterday and while I noticed a difference, a bottle would have been better for racing the chebby's and doggy's...

If you're happy with it, kudo's to you!! If you bought it because the mfg said you'd get more HP, better MPG, etc; you got ripped off.
you have alot of FACTS, but nothing backing your opinion up. we've all got opinions, but at least make sure it's correct. I'll agree with you about the exhaust though. Until you remove a set of cats, it's pretty much pointless to do a catback and expect anything besides noise...although if you remove some cats, then your messing with your Torque and it's illegal as hell with a $10k fine if you get caught

We're not claiming all these things will get you a screamer, but add it all together and realistically you can get alot closer to that 300 hp...at the rear wheels. These trucks dyno out about 240 RWHP stock. A 30 ish HP gain is not unreasonable to expect with a Tuner, Intake, Exhaust. You can get even better with a SCT tuner, but that usually requires custom tuning on a Dyno. The only true way to get performance out of a Mod Motor (4.6 2v/3v, 5.4 2v/3v) is the bottle or Forced Induction.

I have done some of the mods, and they have been proven on Dyno's with that items Manufacturer and others. I personally need to get the Edge for my truck and I'll be done.

Unfortunately, the 5.4 and 4.6 don't respond like a traditional pushrod motor. But the gains can be made.

CAI FACT:
Better Airflow
Increased in Cab noise at low RPM's
Increased Throttle Response
More HP (dyno proven)

PROGRAMMER FACT:
More HP (~20 to 30 RWHP on Dyno)
Better Throttle Response
higher A/F mixture
Requires higher octane Gas (to prevent pinging)

all of these mods will also get you Better MPG...mostly due to the engine being more efficiently tuned. can be made even better if other additions are made (exhaust, intake). usually people see MPG go down because they USE THE EXTRA POWER ...I know I would and do

Old 03-30-2008, 01:39 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
Talking

CAI FACT:
Better Airflow
Increased in Cab noise at low RPM's
Increased Throttle Response
More HP (dyno proven)

PROGRAMMER FACT:
Better Throttle Response
higher A/F mixture

Your CAI FACT is wrong on the first line. "Better Airflow"? Super Trooper says his Edge is recoridng the exact same airflow at the MAF with the Volant. If you believe the dyno readings from the manufacturer, then you should believe the fine print that says the results are not guaranteed, and are not typical of all vehicles it was tested on. And you claim "Facts"? That is a fact. I disagree on the throttle response increase also. It FEELS like it is all anybody is ever able to prove. It's louder, that's a given. Personally, I don't want noise in my engine compartment.

As far as the programmers go, I bought an Edge yesterday and ran it through all 3 modes. Read my post on it. It's fair, and unbiased.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...ge-vs-mpg.html

Old 03-30-2008, 01:50 PM
F0rdzTuff
Elder User
PROGRAMMER FACT:
Better Throttle Response
higher A/F mixture

Oh yeah, and then you go and claim the programmer gives you a higher Air/Fuel Mixture? Where do you think you're going to "get more air" from unless you put a turbo, or a blower on it? A programmer might make it run a little richer, which would suck more gas. All 3 settings on the Edge I test-drove yesterday changed the shift points, more than anything else. It also made the xmsn kick down a gear no matter what speed I was traveling, which is something mine doesn't always do when stock.

That said, where are YOUR facts, since you decided to try and "call me out"?

Quick Reply: Volant Cold Air