General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.
View Poll Results: When should they leave the nest
18 years old they are adults now and should go to college
36.36%
21 they can drink and should be out gaining life experiances
13.64%
25 done with college and your insurace went down..
29.55%
Never they should live with parents as long as they like.
20.45%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

What age should your kids leave home?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:01 PM
jjlogue3
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think anything over 21 is time to get your own place with a few exceptions...........

You live and work on a farm (alot of this in my area)
You are going to college close to home
You are living with 1 parent helping make ends meet (kind of a roomate situation)

Old 02-19-2008, 05:57 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
It's funny how your opinion changes when your kids get there. I think you should have had a separate poll for boys/girls. I left home at 17 for MCRD San Diego. I used to think 18 was old enough that the kids should move out (used to count the days). Then when my baby girl got there (19 now) I just wasn't ready to let go. I mostly live in fear that she will go out and do the things I did at her age. My vote is 25 or when she's done with school. Whichever comes first.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:49 PM
ranger1999 Bob
Posting Guru
once you are 18 and have graduated HS you have a choice get a job and pay rent or go to college and work part time

Once you leave college or graduate you better find a job 40 hours a week and you have 90 days to get your stuff together and get out

If you drop out of HS you better go get a job and pay rent for six months then you better have a place to go cause you aint sitting here like that

You live in my house you obey my rules
My rules:
work or school or both no excuses flip burgers , sell newspapers do something

In by 11 on a work night midnght on a weekend, and if youre going to be out later its cool as long as you call before ten and say "im going to be late and will be in around 2am" or whatever time
Your failure to do this results in a locked door you cant get into

You do not do drugs while living in my house and do not be an alcoholic

You drink you leave your car home

No member of the opposite sex hangs out in your room I dont care how old you are.. unless youre married to them and if youre married then you better be on your own and just over here for a visit

None of your friends come into the house when me or mom are not there ( at least one of us) and you ask permission to bring your friends over.. dont show up with five friends and expect to take over the living room.. ask first if its ok and 9/10 times we will say ok

You kick in $50 per week towards your food as rent, you do your own laundry when me and your mom arent doing ours, you pay for your own cable, phone, cell phone. car insurance , repairs, registration etc

If you dont wanna live by these rules, go llive somewhere else.. a friends, your own place, under a bridge i dont care my house = my rules
now that being said if there is some kind of crisis, the door is open to you as long as you arent drinking/drugging/ etc and i work with anyone working with me, so my kid always has a place to come home to but again its my house my rules

Old 02-19-2008, 07:02 PM
Delzell
Senior User
Just spent the weekend helping my daughter move back in. She moved out after she completed college and had a job to pay her bills. However she couldn't sleep because the people in the apartment behind her ran a business in their appartment starting at 4:00 am. Got very little fhelp from the Manager or police and after monts of it moved back in. However with the understanding she pays rent does dishes etc. and when she get straightened out she wants to be on her own again. She found it very hard to come home to an emply house after living with a family. I don't think it is good for dids to live with off their partents when thay have the money to be on their own. Need to grow up some time.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
I would say as soon as they can afford to. I'm 23 and still live at home, I have a house that I am slowly fixing up, but am not moving out until I'm done and can easily afford to. The house I'm moving into is in the middle of my farm, my grandfather was born in it, he also died in it. He never moved out. My father lived there until he was about 26, then built a house (the house we live in now) about a quarter mile away. I'm responsible for my own bills and have to do a lot around here.

Tim

EWWWWWWWW...................your dead grandfather is still in the house!!!!

Old 02-19-2008, 08:21 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Left home at 17......joined the USAF. LOTS of personal reasons.

My son is now 21 and is more than welcome to live with us forever.

We built this house with that in mind and hope he raises his family here.....the plan is to give the house to him when the wife and I retire; we'll just need it as a pit stop.

A couple things about my kid:

He's one of my best friends; and we do everything from playing on the same softball teams to building our cars, offroading and just about anything else you can think of.

He's also in his 3rd year of his IBEW apprenticeship making 70K+ a year (with overtime) so he more than pulls his own weight financially.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:29 PM
WhëëlMå1
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well I may be in a unique situation, but I will throw it out there regardless. I am 25, and I still live at home. The MAIN reason for this, is that I work for my family's business. I have no issues living here, and basically, every dollar I can save the company, the better it is for the rest of my family (I am the oldest of five... most of which are currently in college). I do have a company vehicle, but I am not sure it is applicable to the "suckling" that was described in previous posts. It suits me just fine for now, and clearly there will be a time when my father no longer has to outlay funds for my siblings, and I will not feel under the same pressure... but is not today. I just take it all in stride (believe me I would like to get a place of my own).

Old 02-19-2008, 08:30 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by DOHCmarauder
EWWWWWWWW...................your dead grandfather is still in the house!!!!
Yeah, we got him mounted and hung him on the wall...

You know those bass that sing when people walk by...we got him rigged up like that...

Tim

Old 02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by thorseshoeing
Yeah, we got him mounted and hung him on the wall...

You know those bass that sing when people walk by...we got him rigged up like that...

Tim

Old 02-19-2008, 09:03 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
i say when ever the kid wants with of course the conditions many people listed. for the most part no mooching, crap happens and sometimes no matter how hard someone tries, they can not afford a place on thier own and i be damned if i ever let my kid live in some ghetto just because thats the only place they could afford.

many parents feel to give the kid an automatic boot at 18 without even giving a chance for the kid to get up on thier 2 feet, some parents let thier kids mooch and run over them for years.

it is an almost american only thing. about everyone i know overseas still lives with thier parents. the people that i know that do live on thier own only did so after marriage which is the traditional time for many cultures when a kid moves out of the parents home. some of the others i know just happen to have a good job and can easily afford it though they still have thier room at thier parents house. even my wife has her room at her mom's house, we stay there when we visit.

i just never understood the feelings towards one's kid when they turn some magical age, its like they don't want them no more, as if the only reason to even have kids for them was the animal instinct of procreation and nothing more. why would someone not want thier own kid around them?

Old 02-19-2008, 09:10 PM
DOHCmarauder
Postmaster
Originally Posted by bf250
i just never understood the feelings towards one's kid when they turn some magical age, its like they don't want them no more, as if the only reason to even have kids for them was the animal instinct of procreation and nothing more. why would someone not want thier own kid around them?

Nothing to add to that......

Old 02-19-2008, 09:27 PM
88FordF-150
Elder User
Well im 20, and still living at home. I do pay $100s a pay so $200 a month. I pay all my bills, do my own clothes, ect.. I also work on my mom and pops cars/trucks when they need fixed. I am saving though for a house of my own, i figure im goin to save $15,000 as the down payment, and go from there. I have the $15,000 with both of my savings combined, but i like to keep my $5,000 in my one savings account nice and safe in case of emergency (blow the motor in my truck ect...). Il get there one day, having a girlfriend isnt helpin the wallet, but makes up in other ways lol....

Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 PM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
I don't see how people can want to live with their parents for any longer than they have to. Don't get me wrong, I live with my folks during the summer but I am working for the family business and really just sleep there. I like being away from home and wouldn't want it any other way.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:30 PM
ididntdoit99
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I vored for the last one... i'm hoping where it says stay with their parent as long as they like, the "they" is the parents, not the kid.

I wouldn't have a problem with my son staying around the house as long as he pitches in (pays rent, or takes care of certain bills each month), keeps a job, and helps out with cleaning.

I myself, moved out as soon as I turned 18, loved it, had a great time. But when my father was sent to Iraq for 18 months I moved back in to help my mother around the house. Actually we helped eachother, me and my fiance had just had our son, so it was a win/win situation.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:31 PM
85e150
Super Moderator
Received 1,596 Likes on 1,301 Posts
I'm going to be in my 60s when they are in their 20s, so I figure if they stay too long, we will eventually reverse roles and they can change my diaper. (saying this ensures they will move out...)

Quick Reply: What age should your kids leave home?