Join Chapter, Leader: sky Cowboy

how COLD was your Winter??

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:55 AM
alremkin
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Secret Agent 069
Minus nintyfive?? no offense, but I have to cough bullsh** on this one...
Me too.

I'm in Burns Lake and the coldest we've had this winter is -38.6C without windchill. That was by far the coldest night. We had about 2 weeks of days of the nights being colder than -20C. Tonight it's predicted to be -18C or about 0F.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:21 AM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
by a old Nike missile base in Alaska in January , base temp some where around -65 to 70 C and a small breeze. Was with the army , we stopped playing silly games because of the cold, oh and I did get mixed up , it was only -90 it was -95 in Wainright Alberta not in Alaska. You should also remember that we calculate wind chill differently now.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:37 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by R031Kona
by a old Nike missile base in Alaska in January , base temp some where around -65 to 70 C and a small breeze. Was with the army , we stopped playing silly games because of the cold, oh and I did get mixed up , it was only -90 it was -95 in Wainright Alberta not in Alaska. You should also remember that we calculate wind chill differently now.
Lowest Temperature
SNAG, Yukon, has the dubious distinction of recording the lowest temperature in Canada at -62.8° C on 3 February 1947. For more than a week before that day, cold air from northeastern Siberia stalled over the Yukon. Skies were clear, winds calm, visibility unlimited and 38 cm of snow lay on the ground. An exhaled breath of air made a hissing sound as it froze and created vapour trails that extended 100-500 m above the ground for 3-4 minutes before disappearing. Exposed skin froze in less than 3 minutes.
So uh I still call it bullsh**

http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.c...=A1ARTA0010200

Old 02-19-2008, 11:09 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Mnn , ok being in Alaska it was probable then that they meant - 60 ish F (base ) not C ! then it does not take much wind to make it real cold. I was at one of these sites http://ed-thelen.org/alaska-sites.jpg I think site Mike, Alaska weather records say that in downtown Fairbanks it only got to -43, we were 800 feet higher and in large hills (mini mountains). I will admit that before being called on this I just accepted what I had been told without question . But it takes it being exceptionally cold for the army to stop training , they have a standard they abide by.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:14 AM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Mnn , ok being in Alaska it was probable then that they meant - 60 ish F (base ) not C !
Dude are yous serious? after minus fourty it is all the same.

Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Give it a try and tell me that

Old 02-20-2008, 11:23 AM
LionFan
Senior User
Originally Posted by Secret Agent 069
Dude are yous serious? after minus fourty it is all the same.
I used to think that until I was standing on the roof of my wellsite shack up here by Fort Nelson about 3 weeks ago. We were getting ready for a rig move and the thermometers were reading -48C. Even with no wind, it still sucked. They actually shut the move down because apparently steel gets pretty brittle when it's colder than -40C.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:19 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Give it a try and tell me that
Ok, so read this, and you tell me?

Minus 40c is minus 40f

Minus 40
Ask Dave a weather question

Dave Thurlow, Host
Hi, I'm Dave Thurlow from the Mount Washington Observatory and this is The Weather Notebook. Today I'm going to talk about the significance of 40 degrees below zero. Now you're probably saying to yourself "Oh boy that sounds fascinating", but curious things happen at forty below zero, give or take a few degrees. Scientifically, 40 below is a temperature worthy of note.
First of all, am I talking about 40 below fahrenheit or forty below celsius? Well that's a bit of a trick question because the answer is both. Forty below is the only point where fahrenheit and celsius are the same, where the two scales cross.

It's also near the point at which mercury freezes. Mercury is the most commonly used fluid in thermometers and it's fine for temperatures above minus forty. For colder temperatures a different fluid is used, usually alcohol. Though mercury is more precise, alcohol doesn't freeze until minus 200 fahrenheit.

Interestingly enough, if you figure the average of the record lows for each state in the country, it comes to minus 40.

Minus 40 is also the point where it's no longer safe to expose any skin to the cold. At this temperature, or windchill temperature, skin can freeze almost instantly. This was determined, believe it or not, by a bunch of scientists who stood around in Antarctica until their skin froze.

Forty below also represents the ultimate freezing point of water. Microscopic drops of water can stay unfrozen down to around minus forty, seventy-two degrees colder than what we all know to be freezing for big water. This means that even clouds and fog are made of tiny ice crystals at this frigid temperature, but can actually be made up of drops of water at temperatures well below freezing. Forty below -- you might never feel it but at least now you.

The Weather Notebook is underwritten by Subaru with major support provided by the National Science Foundation.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:13 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
Read it yourself! At minus 40 it matches then, Fahrenheit has larger sounding numbers , however it does get colder , it is not the same and it does make a difference how much colder it gets. In 1982 Alaska would have been using Fahrenheit and we were a 1000 feet above the temperature figure on the chart link here
http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Fairbanks_Eielson_Air_Force_Base/01-1982/702650.htm
date the 7th column TM (lowest temp ) look at the wind chill chart here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wind_chill.png and you will see perceived (wind chill ) temperatures below -65 F or more with very little breeze. And yes I know about wind chill not being the "real" temperature. In the 1st two weeks of that month we spent 8 days in the field, in tents, a couple of days back at the base then 4 days out again at 1000 to 2000 feet elevation. Here for your entertainment is a typical Nike missle site in Alaska http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zDvdveARDE

Old 02-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Read it yourself! At minus 40 it matches then, Fahrenheit has larger sounding numbers , however it does get colder , it is not the same and it does make a difference how much colder it gets. In 1982 Alaska would have been using Fahrenheit and we were a 1000 feet above the temperature figure on the chart link here
http://www.tutiempo.net/en/Climate/Fairbanks_Eielson_Air_Force_Base/01-1982/702650.htm
date the 7th column TM (lowest temp ) look at the wind chill chart here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Wind_chill.png and you will see perceived (wind chill ) temperatures below -65 F or more with very little breeze. And yes I know about wind chill not being the "real" temperature. In the 1st two weeks of that month we spent 8 days in the field, in tents, a couple of days back at the base then 4 days out again at 1000 to 2000 feet elevation. Here for your entertainment is a typical Nike missle site in Alaska http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zDvdveARDE
Ok, now I'm gonna call BULLSH** again. first, 60mph winds are gale force, building get severly damaged, and trees get uprooted, your tent would have been ripped to shreds, and you would be dead from hypothermia &/or sever frostbite... I think someone fed you a HUGE line of crap, and you fell for it hook, line & sinker.

Now the probability of -40, -50 hell even -60 is very real, and very possible. but -40 in 60mph winds. No F*&^ing way...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaufort_scale

Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 PM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
No, in all the words I think you missed that we had a little colder temp at 1000 feet higher then Fairbanks being in the mountains , We operated in -20 to -40 doing hours of outside training , if it wasn't quite a bit colder those sadistic ba5tards would have had us out there standing guard in snow trenches. I think after all this research that you have made me go through that base of -45F to 50 with a 15 to 20 mph wind was probable which while not -90 ( I got mixed up , someone at the time said it was -95 elswhere.But -90 [claimed] where we were ) still is in the -65 F to -80 range with wind. All I know as a fact is that it was a lot colder then the -40 ish we had already experienced , and that it takes dangerously stupid levels of cold to get the Army to suspend training, we spent 12-24 hours in our tents ( ten man bell tents with liner ) until the cold snap broke.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:25 AM
four-sixty-power
Fleet Mechanic
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
I think everyone missed:

It was frickin' -minus warm times infinity, so there! *raspberry* punchbuggy COLD! here have a hertz donut sitting on the sofa king cool response Tim Horton's sales counter, now with TimBits! remember to roll-up the rim so the Leafs have a chance at the Stanley Cup *wink*

Old 02-21-2008, 03:19 AM
R031Kona
Laughing Gas
LOL, Leafs win the cup...now thats bull*****!!

Old 02-21-2008, 04:08 AM
Zip
FTE Legend
Received 166 Likes on 105 Posts
Oh my!! Now that is just plain stupid. Doesn't matter how cold it is.

Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Secret Agent 069
Posting Guru
Hell freezes over if that ever happens....

Quick Reply: how COLD was your Winter??