1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

my neighbor has a question?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2008, 05:05 PM
going slow
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my neighbor has a question?!?!

my neighbor has a 54 3/4 ton and was wondering if he could put it on 94 2x4 standard cab long box silverado chassis if they were close or not... his 54 is in need of a whole drive line and chassis re build and the silverado is in need of a new body but has a great chassis... any advice is appreciated.
thanks

steve

Old 02-16-2008, 06:31 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
negative feedback coming shortly

Old 02-16-2008, 07:04 PM
LEckart
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do a search on frame swaps.............. it comes up about 2-3 times a month. Only way to answer that question is to get out the tape measure and do a lot of comparison checking. The track width will probably be wider on the silverado chassis. I doubt if the wheelbase is close to the same. He better be a good fabricator also or it will look like crap when he is done.

Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM
going slow
Senior User
haha thanks 56panel ill let him know that one ... and as far as measuring thats kinda the direction i sent him in was get under both tucks and do alot of looking drawing and measuring of were things are and were they need to be to make it all work... i do know the Ford isnt close to his house and im thinking thats why he was asking... last i remember the truck was packed away in a storage garage some were, or half of it was and the other was on a farm or somthing...but anyway thanks for the info and i will pass it on....

steve

Old 02-16-2008, 08:06 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,132 Likes on 2,656 Posts
I'm building my panel on a 72 chevy frame but it is the same width as the original ford frame, with my panel I had to put in a new sub structure to support the floor so it was easy to raise the floor section in the rear to accomadate the kick up of the rear section of the frame, I also had to fabricate a cross member for the radiator and build my own inner front fenders. Your friend will probably wear out a measuring tap, ha ha. Anything can be done and I'll admit going with the original would likely be a faster way to go but that's only hind sight speaking now. The 94 chevy frame is at least 8" s wider but there was an article in either classic truck mag or custum classic trucks mag that had a 55 chevy built on a 95 frame but the guy who built or had it built had deep pockets and owned one of the mag wheel companies, hope this is of some help,if not it made for some conversation anyway. Wish your neighbour luck, if he should decide to go for it he will get the support from most on board here

Old 02-17-2008, 09:03 AM
himmelberg
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good news! And thank you for asking. You CAN put your body on the Chevy frame. The sticking points begin with frame width, however, this is not to mention a whole slew of other problems to follow. Our longstanding friend from Iowa used the "www.measureityourownself.com" when starting a project like this. He was always very helpful.

Seriously. Do a search of the site regarding frame swaps. There are a few success stories and invaluable advise there. Nathan is one young man with an excellent tech article on this frame swap stuff.

As in any mechanical/engineering project you must have a complete set of measurements for your application at the onset. Casting about for someone with the experience using your parameters is a long tedious way to approach the problem.

Once armed with data and you proceed with the project you will always find support here, if not encouragement. Good luck.

redundantly, himmelberg

Old 02-17-2008, 10:02 AM
going slow
Senior User
i will pass on the info.....thanx

steve