1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1959 f-100 door adjustment???

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1959 f-100 door adjustment???

I was looking at my truck and it has been messing with me how to adjust the doors. Both my doors are making a nasty popping sound when you open them . I look at the gap all around the door and they seem even to my eye, but i may be wrong. the driver door makes the loudest pop of the 2. You can see on the fenders where someone may have hit them with a hammer to clear the way but did'nt help at all it seems . So anyways, i know many of you have probably run into this problem in the past, can i get some insight on how to adjust the doors so they dont make the sound and open freely. Pics of the adjustment would be best but wouldlove to hear some of your experiences in the matter.

Last edited by 1st Restore Project; 02-13-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: dont want email notification
Old 02-13-2008, 09:55 PM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I couldn't tell much by the photos in your gallery but your description sounds as if the lower part of the front fender is rusted out and no longer attached to the reinforcement. The fender will stick out and bind against the door when it opens. I don't think a door adjustment will help this out. You may need to tie the bottom of the fender back against the body.

The door adjustments are on the hinges. The hinge attachment at the body moves the door in and out. The hinge attachment at the door moves the door backward and forward. There is also an adjustment for the striker at the door jamb.

Lou

Old 02-14-2008, 05:12 AM
Walston
Cargo Master

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
I agree with Manglass, it is likely the fender. If the door is lined up good the cab, the fender is likely the problem. Adjusting the doors is done by removing the two square covers off the door, this exposes three bolts that allow the door to be moved. Also the three bolts where the hinge mounts to the cab are adjustable. From my experience, this is a two man job.

Attached is a picture of the back of the fender, you can see the lower bolt that is likely rusted off on yours, this bolt is accessed from under the cab, the other picture shows the door with the small access squares removed to allow for hinge adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Attached Images   
Old 02-14-2008, 09:20 AM
1st Restore Project
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
awesome, thanx guys that helps alot imma check the under carraige this weekend and see if i can't remedy these pops.