2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I almost hate to even bring it up but...

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2008, 10:20 PM
chetlogan
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ethanol costs you at least 15-20% in miles per gallon. Figure that 14 mpg with a 10%ethanol blend is equivalent to 16 or so with regular gasoline. So, your observed mpg looks about right. As a comparison, usinf 10% ethanol blend, I get 17 mpg highway on my '08 Roushcharged SCrew, 2wd, 5.4L, 3.73 diff. Using 100% gasoline (no longer available), I used to get 19 or so.

Ethanol from corn is bad science; Our government is on the take. Ethanol from sugar cane or other sources - now that may or may not be better. But ethanol from corn is nothing more than government-sponsored payola. But don't take my word for it; do your own research - I could be wrong.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:46 PM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by chetlogan
Ethanol from corn is bad science; Our government is on the take. Ethanol from sugar cane or other sources - now that may or may not be better. But ethanol from corn is nothing more than government-sponsored payola. But don't take my word for it; do your own research - I could be wrong.
The science is solid...it's just not the most bang for the buck. Any distillation is going to be costly and consume more than you get out of it. As for the gov't, you're right, although I'd be more specific and say the governments of the mid-west states are on the take. But, congressmen are nothing more that elected lobbyist and it seems those mid-west congressmen did what they were paid to do. If I were a corn farmer from Iowa I'd be happy as I could be. I'm willing to bet corn farming pays more than NASA now...

Old 02-14-2008, 01:45 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
it's the winter blend fuel. the ethanal really does a number on the MPG's.

Old 02-14-2008, 01:47 AM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by chetlogan
it's just like milk...subsidize it and slap yourself on the back.

at least with corn ethanol we're being green....right?

Old 02-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Brian429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So why do they add the ethonol in the winter? I notice where I am in Pa, we have Steetz convienient stores and I've noticed a stick on the pumps a sticker that says %10 ethonal, and thats there year round, if I remember.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:44 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian429
So why do they add the ethonol in the winter? I notice where I am in Pa, we have Steetz convienient stores and I've noticed a stick on the pumps a sticker that says %10 ethonal, and thats there year round, if I remember.
Good question, I thought it was a summer blend thing. Down here in the south they up the "ethanal" (that's funny Tylus) during the summer to decrease smog causing emissions. Ethanol is an oxygenate and it replaces the shorter chain, quick to evaporate hydrocarbons that cause smog in the summer time. Of course here in Houston we get the "summer blend" year round because of clean air act policies.

I think most of the pump stickers 'round here say MAY contain up to 10% Ethanol. Also, a study just came out that found the ethanol causes more pollution than conventional gas. I have not read it, but if true that's a big woops by our uncle sam.