Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

warn manual hub conversion help

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 05:02 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
warn manual hub conversion help

Got a 1995 F150, finally making the switch. In the process right now actually, and I'm stuck. I have the conversion kit and have the new spindle nuts installed no problem, but I can't get the hub body to fit inside the housing to get the lock ring on, UNLESS I take out the three washers that the instructions say need to stay on for a 1995 Ford. Help! Are these washers supposed to be discarded? Or am I missing something?

the washers I am talking about are #15,16,17 in this diagram. Thanks!

putting in standard hubs (warn 9790), and had the conversion kit (warn 32720)

Old 02-09-2008, 05:10 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Are you refering to the last snap ring? No 20?
In some cases you may need to push the axle assembly (visible thru the "c" in the spindle area) in towards the differential - in other words

Push the axle half toward the center of the truck to allow snap ring to fit.

a very large screwdriver or prybar will work.

Also a conversion kit is not needed with a stock 6 hex bolt hub.

Old 02-09-2008, 05:18 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
got that. Its a three bolt auto hub. I'll try to push the axleshaft toward the center of the truck. It does say something about that. But you are positive those three washers are required?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:44 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
so what happens is that when I have the c-ring and the three washers installed (which lock the axle in place) the hub body will not fit fully into the wheel housing, and I can't get the snap ring on, and would thus never be able to fully assemble the hub. The teeth inside the hub body run up against that c-ring and those washers, preventing the proper clearance needed for the hub body. If I remove the c ring and washers, I get the hub body all the way in, and the axle is held in place with the retaining ring provided in the warn hub kit. I put it together like this and it works, but the instructions insist that those thrust washers are necessary. Any suggestions?

Old 02-09-2008, 05:54 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

I believe this is the condition if the axle is not pushed all the way in. It looks like it won't move (axle assembly), but it should all move to install the snap ring and the hub. Double check to see if you have the correct hub part numbers again. You have to properly install the snap ring before the hub will fit or it is a NO-GO situation - as you know already.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:17 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
Still not working. The axle cannot go any further in, because the thrust washers are up against the threaded part of the wheel, where the new spindle nuts went on. With the thrust washers installed, the distance from the threaded spindle (where the new spindle nuts were attached) to the outer edge of the wheel hub housing, is not big enough for this hub body. I took apart the other side to see if I had it put together wrong, looks good, still no fit. Thank you very much for the help. I'm trying the best I can, and I appreciate all the information you are giving me.

Old 02-09-2008, 06:29 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Are you saying you have one new hub on already?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:33 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
no, I just took the other one apart to see if I put those thrust washers or something together wrong.

An observation: The kit says you are supposed to install a retaining ring out axlesahft in a grove (which is there), but with the thrust washer installed on the axle shaft, the part of the hub body that slides onto the axleshaft is too long to have the retaining ring and the thrust washers and c ring installed at the same time. This is turning into a bad nightmare. Do I have the wrong hubs? The box is correct, is there a way to check the parts inside the box to see if they are correct?

Old 02-09-2008, 06:38 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

Originally Posted by ZonaNavyStar
no, I just took the other one apart to see if I put those thrust washers or something together wrong.

An observation: The kit says you are supposed to install a retaining ring out axlesahft in a grove (which is there), but with the thrust washer installed on the axle shaft, the part of the hub body that slides onto the axleshaft is too long to have the retaining ring and the thrust washers and c ring installed at the same time. This is turning into a bad nightmare. Do I have the wrong hubs? The box is correct, is there a way to check the parts inside the box to see if they are correct?
Is it too late where you are at to check the physical parts to see if they are correct?(is part store still open). You should not be having a difficult time getting the new parts on.

Old 02-09-2008, 09:27 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
checked another box in another store, same box number, and the hubs looked indentical. There seems to be a major clearance issue with the parts here. This doesn't make sense. The inner teeth of the hub body is too long to fit between the c-ring groove on the axleshaft, and the retaining ring groove. If the c-ring is installed, the hub body is just too long to fit in the wheel housing. To me, it seems like if the retaining ring is installed on the axleshaft then the c-ring isn't necessary, because the retaining ring holds the axleshaft in place. But then this doesn't follow with the instructions. I don't know what to do.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:15 PM
mr. Charles
Senior User
Exclamation ZonaNavyStar. . . . .

.....IF, you are changing from a 4x4-Auto-3 screw_cap Locking hub's, YES you are indeed to have the SpindleNut conversion kit, Which i have read that you do have on already....{ hopefully you were able to get the two different torque_Spec's of the nut's, right????}......then, you are NOT going to replace/install the 3 different washer's and the "c" clip, { NO for item's # 15, 16, 17, & 18 }..........just install the NEW hub, then the outer snap ring, and then you are suppose have a NEW outer "Axle_clip"..[ come's within the KIT]......then commence for the 6 new cap screw's & the cap............ this, i can confirm for i have just done this change_over to the WARN Premium Hubs on my 96' F150 4x4 which HAD the 4x4_3-screw cap_ auto hub's..........[ if you checkout = my Gallery_albums, & look in the album of "Other Pic's 2 Help 4 other's" & at pictures # 5 & 6 = this will basically show of how/what you are going to end up doing for the install...]

mr. Charles

Last edited by mr. Charles; 02-09-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 02-09-2008, 10:22 PM
mr. Charles
Senior User
Exclamation

.....curious note: Did you by chance read the instruction's for stating on HOW to check for the clearance with using the new hub assembly slid on and the outer Axle_clip installed and using 2 of the cap screw's just screw'd in about's a couple of thread's at 180 degree's apart from each other on the hub,.......then, pulling and pushing to see that you DO have just a bit of clearance....??????.......this is how i found out, = you can NOT use the 3 washer's and the "c_clip" prior to installing the hub asembly and all else to complete......

mr. Charles

Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
ZonaNavyStar
Senior User
yeah, I did that check, and took apart the new spindle nuts and did it again to make sure. Everything looks good. I've been reading around like at full size bronco, and they have some tech articles. It seems like there is a consensus that those thrust washers and c-ring aren't reinstalled, that the most important part is to ensure the out lock ring is installed securely on the axleshaft. This is where I was leaning becuase if I deleted these parts, the hub body fit just as advertised.

Old 02-09-2008, 10:26 PM
mr. Charles
Senior User
Exclamation

.......just to let you know that #6 picture there is showing a reverse'd view of, but the "Retaining Ring"; >>>> that is the NEW "Axle_Clip"[for what i call it] for which you are suppose to have gotten within the KIT . . . . .

mr. Charles

Old 02-09-2008, 10:28 PM
khadma
Carpenter Local 745

So everything is good?

Quick Reply: warn manual hub conversion help