General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

walmarts "steakhouse" steaks

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 06:35 PM
dawgs150
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have also had probs with walmart and the quality of their meat... i had several packs of their ribs go bad well b4 the expy date...sucked bcause it wasnt cheap

Old 01-29-2008, 06:40 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There's a lot to what herman391 says. That IS kind of odd. The times I've been there, the lines are slow as he-l, and I think part of this is caused by the mix of folks buying groceries, and those buying regular stuff. I want groceries? I go to a supermarket. Harris Teeter is my choice---clean, well-stocked, efficient stores; and you can often find stuff there that you can usually only find in a specialty grocer. Their produce and meat & seafood departments (they have bakeries inside the stores too) are second to none. Unlike other supermarkets---and especially Food Lion, they do not scrimp on numbers of employees, and their lines do NOT back up. I swear, I go there and I could be behind one other shopper, and here comes a couple of employees dragging me over to another line to checkout and bag the stuff. I've never been in line more than a few minutes.

That kind of service is rewarded; plenty of folks will take variety, quality, cleanliness, and service---and pay a little more---over cheaper wares and service. I know that I do. You won't see me walk into a Food Lion or a Wal-Mart to do my grocery shopping.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:02 PM
SuperSnake
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We always buy our meats at a butcher that has been in business were we live for at least 2 generations. It's cheaper buying from him than a grocerie store or walmart. I guess when we move we are going to find another one.

Old 01-30-2008, 08:41 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
[QUOTE=jimbo beam]My local news ran a segment about Wal-Marts meat. During production of their packaged meats they bubble carbon monoxide through it. It gives the meat a nice red color, otherwise joking you into thinking their sub-par meat is of better quality.

if thats the case it adds some good flavor

Old 01-30-2008, 08:58 AM
guthrie&co
Posting Guru
Sorry gents but I can't stand walmart and most people there. It gives me the squirts and makes my teeth hurt just the thoughts of having to go there. Walmart is the demise of all small town momn pops

Old 01-30-2008, 10:36 AM
70blue
Postmaster
I will not buy meat anywhere where I can't talk to a meat cutter. I can go to any grocery store around here and have my meat cut exactly as I request. You can't do that at walmart. The quality of the meat at walmart is sub par but costly anyway. If I am going to pay more for something I expect a better product or more service. They do get these boxed steaks occasionally that taste good and at a so so price but they don't constantly carry them. They do have super deals on some things to get people in there. It seems like if I just stick to groceries but no meat in walmart my bill is higher than the other grocers but I buy meat as well as other groceries at the other grocers. Something don't add up there. For the lower overall price at real grocery stores I get my meat cut the way I want it. They bag my groceries and put them back in the cart. The lines are quicker. They do not beg me to take a cart full of groceries to the self checkout either. Why should I pay more for less service at walmart.

One reason those box products are tender and juicy is because they have added moisture through a brine solution which also artificially ads weight. You could do a better job on your steaks at home by marinating them. The steakhouses marinate theirs but I have found I can make a much better marinade. Steaks at steakhouses seem subpar to me as well because they cook them on gas. Remember a good steak is all in the marinade and a good wood smoke.

Last edited by 70blue; 01-30-2008 at 11:34 AM.
Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
i hear ya, im from a small mom and pop store town, ive seen the destruction it can do to an array of small business owners, from food, to hardware,to local tackle shops etc. plus i physically worked there and am not proud of it.....with all of that said, im going to get me a rib eye tonight, pound on it for awhile, season her up, fire up the bbq, and cook that little sucker......mouth is watering thinking about it

Old 01-30-2008, 11:36 AM
websthes
Postmaster
NEWARK, N.J. (AP)--As government scientists searched for the source of a multistate E. coli outbreak linked to frozen hamburgers, a class-action lawsuit was filed Wednesday against the producer of the patties and supermarkets that sold them.

The lawsuit seeks unspecified monetary compensation for anyone who bought or was sickened by hamburgers made by Topps Meat Co. of Elizabeth and sold by Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT), Pathmark Stores Inc. (PTMK), Shop Rite? and Rastelli Fine Foods.
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&sa...e+coli&spell=1

Wal Mart leans on their suppliers to cut costs and lower prices. Workers become careless and make mistakes.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:47 AM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
The first store to put a terminal out front to tell me if an item is in stock and where it is will get my business.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:16 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by dono
The first store to put a terminal out front to tell me if an item is in stock and where it is will get my business.
They're called 'courtesy clerks', the smaller stores around here still have them and they're actually courteous.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Originally Posted by racerchick21
They're called 'courtesy clerks', the smaller stores around here still have them and they're actually courteous.
press 1 for english and 2 for spanish??

you know this is america

Old 01-30-2008, 12:38 PM
racerchick21
Posting Guru
Most of it is, but have you been to San Diego lately? Here's a tip, don't go to the closest Walmart to the border on the 1st or the 15th! That's a whole other subject, though....

Old 01-30-2008, 12:50 PM
kw5413
Post Fiend
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I don't by meats at Walmart but, have had great meat fromm our local (new) Target Super store. I also have had good luck with Tom Thumb's butchers.

Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
thorseshoeing
decadent and depraved

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 70blue
Remember a good steak is all in the marinade and a good wood smoke.
No, a good steak is in the meat...You don't need to marinade good meat to make it taste good...

Tim

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Originally Posted by racerchick21
Most of it is, but have you been to San Diego lately? Here's a tip, don't go to the closest Walmart to the border on the 1st or the 15th! That's a whole other subject, though....
hmmmmm, i could only imagine being the 1st and 15th and next to the border, what you could be talking about............its nice to know that im contributing to there checks so they can eat those fine steaks,lol

Quick Reply: walmarts "steakhouse" steaks