what do i do?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 11:56 PM
77_f250_460
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do i do?

i found a good set of rocker arms from crane that i want to get, my problem is that they say that i have to have screw in studs and guide plates, i dont think i have this since mt engine is a stock 77 460. how difficult is it to change over to this, is there a kit i can get to do it, and can i do it with just the valve covers off?

i am changing my manifold in a couple of weeks and i want to go with the larger 1.8 ratio rockers over the stock 1.71? rockers, since i am having trouble finding a smog friendly camshaft...any ideas tips would be great, thanks

77_f250_460

Old 10-31-2001, 08:46 PM
masterbeavis
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do i do?

[QUOTE]i found a good set of rocker arms from crane that i want to get, my problem is that they say that i have to have screw in studs and guide plates, i dont think i have this since mt engine is a stock 77 460. how difficult is it to change over to this, is there a kit i can get to do it, and can i do it with just the valve covers off?
[END QUOTE]
Yes there is a kit that will let you do what you want. Dig deeper into the crane/comp cams catalog and you will find it. They go for around $180 if I am not mistaken. One thing I am not certain of though is if you will need different legnth pushrods. I would think that finding a smog freindly cam would be kinda easy (just because it doesnt say it's not smog legal, doesn't mean it wont pass smog). If your carberator is tuned correctly, you should be able to pass easily. I am told that the longer stroke motors run a tad cleaner than the smaller ones. I was told that my 460 will pass smog easier than a 302 will, if you can believe that!!!

Tony

Old 10-31-2001, 09:36 PM
DWBon723
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what do i do?

Your stock 77 460,if it has the original heads,will have a pedestal mount rocker arm.If the new Crane units you are looking at call for a screw in stud and guide plate,and you don't want to remove the heads and have a machine shop cut them down and thread them for the studs.Crane makes a kit that consists of special studs,guide plates with a nylon or plastic insert.The kit costs around sixty bucks.The kit works well,as long as cam profiles and springs are on the mild side.Another benefit is you can use stock pushrods. If you opt to remove the heads and have them machined to use regular studs and plates you will also have to buy pushrods.The pushrods for the regular guide plates need to be of the hardened variety and will be more costly.

Old 11-01-2001, 08:54 PM
Ford79
Lead Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what do i do?