Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2008, 10:53 AM
Elder User

stormyrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I just completed a trip of over three miles and got a hair over 22 mpg with winter blend fuel. Most of this was at 55-60 mph which also helps. Before I did the exhaust and intake my best was barely 18mpg on summer fuel. I am still looking at getting a chip with an economy tune which hopefully will add another 2 mpg.
AIS intake, 4" turbo back Magnaflow S/S exhaust
inlet & outlet pyrometers & boost gauge
Old 01-29-2008, 10:56 AM
Posting Guru

sflem849 has a good reputation on FTE.sflem849 has a good reputation on FTE.
Three whole miles!!! The foam settled and you could get in another tenth? I assume we are talking in hundreds...
GPR LED, fog/high beam mod, Banks A-Pillar Gauges, Bilstein's, 08 Gate_________________________
Old 01-29-2008, 12:06 PM
Senior User

WILDMAN_Stroker*7.3 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
So what is the red filter in the lower right side of his truck.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:53 PM
Posting Guru

sflem849 has a good reputation on FTE.sflem849 has a good reputation on FTE.
Next to the battery? It said in the article it was a coolant filter.
GPR LED, fog/high beam mod, Banks A-Pillar Gauges, Bilstein's, 08 Gate_________________________
Old 01-30-2008, 10:44 AM
Elder User

stormyrider is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
should have said three hundred miles each way.
AIS intake, 4" turbo back Magnaflow S/S exhaust
inlet & outlet pyrometers & boost gauge
Old 01-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Senior User

novice psd is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
A flow thru tailgate I use on fifth wheel towing increased my mpg by two mpg on paper 317 mile trip 15.7 gal all 2 lane rds lots of stops Yard sales w my wife). I also have a roll up hard cover that I put on later not quite as effective. 2001 cc sb auto 65k

Last edited by novice psd; 01-30-2008 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-31-2008, 01:13 PM
Senior User

DR JOE is starting off with a positive reputation.
Ok, so I am reading other post and keep seeing guys telling people to buy a DP tuner. What is so special about the DP tuner???

Doc.

Add on's 6637 air filter mod, Full 4" exhaust and a Bull Dog chip set at 65 hp.

TIRE SMOKIN, NOS PURGIN AND TURBO'S SCREAMING THAT IS PMRA DRAG RACING.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:24 PM
Snowboard season cometh..

papadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to beholdpapadelogan is a splendid one to behold
DP (along with 1 or 2 others) specializes in the 7.3 PSD - they have 6.0 tuning options and are branching out in to Duramax & Cummins markets but their bread 7 butter is the 7.3. Take a ride in DP-tuned PSD sometime and you'll understand a little better.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:15 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DR JOE
Ok, so I am reading other post and keep seeing guys telling people to buy a DP tuner. What is so special about the DP tuner???

Doc.
Joe, the DP-TUNER is a custom made chip/tuner. It is tuned by Jody for your truck the way you want your truck to run. Not like one tuner fits all the truck within so many years. You have to read the number off your PCM so he can know everything that your truck came with. There are 16 places on the chip to hold tunes, I have the ones you see in my sig. His tunes work on the trans for better shifting, which means cooler temps.

I had the superchip for 4 years before I installed the DP. In 80 econo it is twice the power of the performance tune of the superchip. I still have the superchip to read codes, and is a pretty paper weight.

Look at these guys sig, most have DP-TUNER and BTS-VB.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:37 PM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Quote:

Doc.
Doc, Take it from someone who ran the Bully Puppy for 3 years, the DP tuner is absolutley head and shoulders above the BullyDog. ( i am not saying this lightly, I started out in 00 with a bullydog puck(30hp),then went with the 3 tune twist ****(45hp,70hp,100hp), and then ended up with the Power Pup(40,75,120,+ 120 crazy larrytune) Shifting is at the right points, fueling and power is alot more. My 75Hp Bullydog tune was equal to 60HP Dp tune. the 80Econo tune from DP is actually putting down about 105HP is very well mannered(it is my every day program), and the tranny likes it a whole lot more.

I am currently running the DP with the 60tow, 80tow,80econo,and the 120Race, I also have Jody's modified stock program, and the 1200hi idle.
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 01-31-2008, 03:04 PM
Master of Strokes

weekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud ofweekendwarriorfsw32 has much to be proud of
Hey would adding Diesel clean help at all.
Nick PAA#9
08 F-450 KR 6.4 Elite Race Trans, Elite 71mm turbo/ 59mm VGT, ARP, RDP I/C Boots, 5.5 Icon lift, 22.5 AF wheels, OUO traction bars, Alradco Radiator
04 X 6.0 Barter Stage 3 68mm vgt, 190/75's, T-500, Alradco I/C, 05 axle with 4 link and King Coilovers
01 X 7.3 38R, 238/80's, RDP I/C boots, Full fuel system, ARP studs, Comp 910's, T-500
Old 01-31-2008, 04:32 PM
Senior User

DR JOE is starting off with a positive reputation.
OK, so looking at the web site I would want the 1-16 DP tuner. Do you tell him what kind of HP that you want for all 16 slots?? i would not have a clue what to tell him??
So again I guess that he would know what do ask me ect, right??? Like I said I am looking for mileage and Hp when I need it, just not all the time.

Also what is the BTS-VB???

Thanks again guys for all your input.

Doc.

Add on's 6637 air filter mod, Full 4" exhaust and a Bull Dog chip set at 65 hp.

TIRE SMOKIN, NOS PURGIN AND TURBO'S SCREAMING THAT IS PMRA DRAG RACING.
Old 01-31-2008, 04:40 PM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
The BTS-VB is B= Brians T= truck S= shop VB= valve body, This helps with the shifting, way better shifting, firm with less slipping= less heat. DP and BTS-VB will tune each other to the other. Just need to tell each you are getting the other.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:28 PM
Post Fiend

bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Quote:
OK, so looking at the web site I would want the 1-16 DP tuner. Do you tell him what kind of HP that you want for all 16 slots?? i would not have a clue what to tell him??
So again I guess that he would know what do ask me ect, right??? Like I said I am looking for mileage and Hp when I need it, just not all the time.

Also what is the BTS-VB???

Thanks again guys for all your input.

Doc.
When you call Jody, he actually talks to you, and asks you questions about what you have done to your truck, and what you want it to do. you can orders as few as two tunes, or as many as 16. tell him what you want to get in mileage, and he can help you achieve it. (to a certain extent)
PAA MEMBER # 7.3, 99.5 CC,4X4,SB, leveled,live tuned by Jody,1.15 van turbo w ATS housing,6.0 IC,AFE big boost filter, Petes Armour,fuel bowl delete,black MBRP stacks, 02 headlights,F650 dash, 16x10 MT wheels, 35" tires,and a bunch other stuff that wont fit in my sig. 425K and counting.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:41 PM
New User

evan2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I just started down the road you are talking about with getting better mileage. My stock 2000 was getting 16 mpg on the road during warmer weather. I am trying to reach for 20mpg with some of the mods guys are talking about. I started with the 6637 mod myself and have the 4" exhaust upgrade scheduled next. There sure are alot of good ideas out there.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:41 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel

Tags
2004, 73l, bull, bulldog, chip, chips, dog, dp, f250, ford, fuel, increase, mileage, mpg, timing, truck, tuner