1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

More Trans Problems... TS Chip related

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:58 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Received 83 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by mattg
I have a TS 4 position chip from TW. It does the same thing but only in the "performance" setting. The "tow" setting works great! Although third hits a little hard sometimes. I figured it was just a programming issue and had planned to take it back to have him program the "tow" shift program with the performance tune. I hope that fixes it! For now I just shift it manually in performance and it works fine.

Matt
Thanks for the info matt. It's not so much a hard shift as it is a "upshift/downshift/TC-slipping" when going into third. It's just not acting the way I would think it should. I'll keep you posted

-Robb

Old 01-27-2008, 07:49 PM
mattg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Right, I was saying that mine only shifts hard into third on "tow mode". Not even worth mentioning really. Other than that everything else transmission wise works great on "tow". But when it's on "performance mode", that's when I get the "upshift/downshift/TC-slipping" you were talking about. It's really annoying! That's why I suspect it could be a programming issue. Because it seems like it would shift bad in any position if there was something wrong. I dunno though, I'm just guessin.

Old 01-27-2008, 08:01 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Oh ok, i'll have to look into that then.. i thought yours was just shifting hard all the time... maybe there is something here. Ok I'll let you know how things go this weekend and what i find out.... should a 50 or 75 hp setting be "tow" or "preformance"? thanks

-Robb

Old 01-27-2008, 08:29 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
You can install an led lamp so you can see the TC lockup.

This is what could be going on.
In the performance mode the chip could be locking the TC in the lower gears. Some tuners burn it this way.
What you feel is the TC taking to long to unlock and lock. The gear shift (3rd) itself is quicker than the TC. It sort of feels like a double shift under throttle.

Installation of the led will allow you to see it. You can also see it in a realtime scan.
This is a common problem in the E4OD for the 4th OD shiftpoint. I believe yours does this in the 3rd shiftpoint for the same reason (2nd gear tc-lock)

Here is a vid of c00n's doing it in the OD shiftpoint.
Yours will do it in 3rd and/or 4th
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzF6CH5CIR4&NR=1

My shiftpoints--1,2,3,tc lock,4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-6Fvm-12tQ

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 01-27-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:39 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by MADVAN
You can install an led lamp so you can see the TC lockup.

This is what could be going on.
In the performance mode the chip could be locking the TC in the lower gears. Some tuners burn it this way.
What you feel is the TC taking to long to unlock and lock. The gear shift (3rd) itself is quicker than the TC. It sort of feels like a double shift under throttle.
Yea, thats pretty much exactly how to describe it, except it happens when it's going into third, not OD. what would a solution to this be? trans on it's way out? chip?

-Robb

Last edited by Robbgt; 01-27-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 PM
MADVAN
Postmaster
You have to rework the Vb for that gear change.
Or have chip reburned for the tc to lock after 3rd gear.

Most tuners
Tow=Late shiftpoints
Econ=OEM
Perf=early tc lock

Bill

Last edited by MADVAN; 01-27-2008 at 08:59 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 09:37 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Alright humm... so is this a problem felt by everyone that has a chip with performance burn that hasn't worked through it? Thanks you for your help so far... looks like I might be sending the Chip back... Just can't believe it THAT bad out of the box, I can't imagine that it's good for truck or trans to do what it does...

-Robb

Old 01-28-2008, 12:27 AM
mattg
Junior User
Yea that is good info! Makes sense too! I'm gonna try the LED thing but I'll bet that's what is happening. Still I'm glad at least one mode shifts okay. Good luck with yours Robb!

Matt

Old 01-28-2008, 06:21 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Thanks Matt you too!... I feel dumb but where is there an article/pics on how to install the LED? I have the TC lockup mod already (done just by grounding out the (purple w/ yellow tracer) line on switch) but no LED... any thoughts? thanks!

-Robb

Old 01-28-2008, 07:48 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Robb

You have the TC lock switch.
As a test
Lock it manually while trans is in second and keep it locked while its upshifting. You will see that it will not have that double feeling shift.
It can flash the OD lamp and store a code this way due to the man lockup.

Bill

Old 01-28-2008, 11:09 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Alright Bill thanks for the help! I'll give that a shot. Not going to be able to get to my truck until Wednesday or Thursday. Right now my Engineering classes are taking up the majority of my time. I'll let you know how things turn out. Also in contact with TS to try and get this issue sorted out. Thanks again

-Robb

Old 01-28-2008, 11:42 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Let us know the outcome.
I believe its your issue.

Bill

Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 PM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
OK SO! went for a test spin today, because it was driving me nuts. On the gas about 3/4 throttle and locked TC after 2nd. No weird up-shift/down-shift/tc-slip, however going into third felt "sloppy" for lack of a better word. What course of action should I take? have it sent back and changed from a "pref" burn to "tow"? if in "tow" mode will the truck shift at higher RPM's even with a light throttle? I don't want to run into that issue either. A happy medium would be good. Thanks!

-Robb

Old 01-29-2008, 07:11 AM
MADVAN
Postmaster
Most tow burns will raise the 2,3,4 upshift but TC is about the same.
It will also hold the TC longer when rolling out of throttle and not touching the brakes. The shifts are a higher RPM all the time (light or heavy throttle).

Bill

Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 AM
Robbgt
Logistics Pro
Humm. So I'm still not sure what the best solution would be. I don't want to have high rpm shifts if I'm just cursing around town and going for fuel economy, but I also want to get rid of this sloppiness. What would your recommendation be? is there a possibility that the TC is going out? truck has 150K..

-Robb

Quick Reply: More Trans Problems... TS Chip related