6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Vanes.. Hmmm

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Vanes.. Hmmm

Looks like I'll be pulling the turbo for some good ol' clean up..

I had the weirdest experience today on my way into town.. At first I assume it was the tune I'm running.. Not quite sure now.. Here's what happen..

I was climbing a hill, started loosing speed.. Wasn't thinking about it until I started seeing 30mph.. So I rolled the throttle a bit for it to kick down a gear and climb.. I wasn't loaded, just FYI.. When I rolled the thing started bucking like a stuck EGR.. EGR was cleaned and disabled through tuning.. Haven't had it running for 15k miles.. My boost was bouncing between 9 and 13lbs.. It sounded like I was popping some air back out my intake (or maybe it was the boost line hitting the Pillar).. I backed off thinking hmmm.. So I rolled the throttle to 60%, it dropped a gear and took off like a bat out of hell.. Everything was fine the rest of my drive..

Now I've never had a Vane issue with any tune.. I've ran tunes from many different companies.. Possible tune issue perhaps? Person who wrote it said I should look over the vanes and clean them.. Haven't pulled the turbo in awhile, but I reckon I might as well take it apart and look..

Just didn't feel like a Vane issue.. Seemed like the Tune didn't know what to do when I gave it more throttle..

Old 01-22-2008, 07:05 PM
Todder
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Put a race tune in it and give her hell. Burn that stuff off rather than take it apart.

I have a 03 turbo with ceramic coated exhaust housing and it hasn't even tried to stick. Heck I've never had a turbo try to stick on me in my 6.0.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:17 PM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats the thing.. I've been using Hybrid Race and Ultra Comp files for 90% of this trucks life.. So I'm not quite feeling the "Vane Issue".. I'm honestly set that there is something occurring where truck doesn't know what to do in that situation.. I'm going to datalog it this weekend and run the hill with 3 other files..

I just now started my Review on 3 different companies Tunes.. This was the first file to start testing, it threw up a flag on the play immediately.. So until it can be found and fixed, hard to give an accurate review on its advantages/disadvantages.. I wanted to hit the Dyno this weekend since I had the time so I could get that out of the way.. Really hate to deal with the Dodge house, but they are the only dyno here

Old 01-23-2008, 06:50 AM
BowTieHatr
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
if the egr isstill in the system, and not welded shut, it can still cause issues. pull your egr valve out, weld it shut, replace orings and go drive.