2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Grinding noise....??

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 09:04 AM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mattd17
sounds to me like you do have a bad solenoid..... it is loacted on the pass side of the firewall, behind the battery. if you take it to the dealer, they should give you the new style solenoid, which is supposed to help prevent this fomr happening. its a very easy fix.
What he said.

From what your saying, it sounds like the solenoid has been bad for a while.

Old 01-21-2008, 10:15 AM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well I'm hoping by getting a new solenoid this will first fix the 4WD not engaging when I switch it....also fix it wanting to engage driving down the road....only thing is I'm worried as to how much damage has been done to the IWE's (hubs) its done it 3 times so far and they can't get me into the shop until Thursday.

Originally Posted by MBBFord
What he said.

From what your saying, it sounds like the solenoid has been bad for a while.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:29 PM
mattd17
Fleet Mechanic
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
well, if i was you, then i would just drive around in 4wd to eliminate the chance of a partial engagement of the hubs.....

Old 01-21-2008, 08:56 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Well I drove it to and back from work and no problems....but if it does it again I will for sure drive it in 4WD until Thursday.....just in case I didn't tell everyone.....thanks for all the help

Originally Posted by mattd17
well, if i was you, then i would just drive around in 4wd to eliminate the chance of a partial engagement of the hubs.....

Old 01-24-2008, 12:16 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by bowhunk1
Well I drove it to and back from work and no problems....but if it does it again I will for sure drive it in 4WD until Thursday.....just in case I didn't tell everyone.....thanks for all the help
Any update?
Mine hasn't done it again, but I was wondering if it kept happening to you, and if you broght it to the dealer....

Old 01-24-2008, 12:38 PM
air1jpg
Tuned
Question

Any update?
Mine hasn't done it again, but I was wondering if it kept happening to you, and if you broght it to the dealer....
I have not experiecned this either, but I have only 20k on mine so far. Are all the 2006 models affected by the bad silenoids?

Old 01-24-2008, 12:54 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Well the truck went into the shop yesterday....so I guess only time will tell...I will let everyone know as soon as I find something out....and it only happened 3 times on Sunday....and I drove it for 2 more days without the sound....before it went to the shop.

Any update?

Old 01-24-2008, 02:55 PM
MBBFord
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by air1jpg
Are all the 2006 models affected by the bad silenoids?
From what the TSB said, it is the 04-06 models that had the problem, and now it is fixed with a water shield over it.

Old 01-24-2008, 03:53 PM
buns79
New User
grinding noise...yep!

I have a 2005 150 stx with a manual shift transfer case (no **** just a lever), I to had this same problem but mine only seems to happen in bellow freezing weather, it makes the noise shift into 4wd it goes away. I took the truck to ford they replaced the silenoid and it worked fine until the next cold snap which was today, I left the driveway shifted into 4wd because it snowed went about a 100ft heard a loud pop from the frontend and now the 4wd doesnt work at all! Back to ford we go. goodluck.

Old 02-04-2008, 07:39 PM
bowhunk1
Freshman User
Just wanted to let everyone know I didn't forget to post an update on this issue.....just ran in to the normal with our service department.....put the truck in the shop on Thursday 2 weeks ago and they said it would be ready Friday afternoon...so I called them at 4:30 Friday afternoon and they said they had an emergency vehicle come in and it was top priority....said it would be Monday and to call at 2....so no truck that weekend....called them at 1:30 Monday afternoon and they said that neither part was on site......DO WHAT....!!!! How can you promise a truck on FRIDAY and the parts weren't there from the get go.....so of course I was HOTT....so after the conversation on the phone which was not PG by no means they said they would call when the parts came in...

So parts are on sire and the truck is going in Wednesday to get the solenoid replaced and also some motor assembly switch for the A/C......its just so funny to me that I mentioned to them that it could possibly be the solenoid from the information I got from you guys....and just by chance this is what they are replacing......hmmmmmm.....I wonder if they even checked the 4WD system....but I will say I've been driving the truck for a week now and no issue's with the 4wd anymore....so I'm thinking the moisture was the ROOT cause.....guess only time will tell......!!

Is there anyway to get the moisture out.....or check it.......any low point drains on the vac. system....???

Old 02-04-2008, 08:39 PM
Chrome FX4
Junior User
My truck has been doing the same thing to me lately and it all makes sense now. I noticed it really was doing it when it was really cold out. I am assuming this is when the moisture in the vaccume line froze and it was engaging the 4X4. Like stated earlier when I put it in 4X4 it went away. I read the entire post but still am having trouble following the instructions on how to resolve the issue on my own. What am I looking for and what do I need to do to get the moisture out of the line. Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 08:46 PM
PinkyRingz
Senior User
This exact thing happened to me yesterday with my 07 150. I slowed to a stop and she made a thud then nothing since then. It's a new truck under warranty. Should the dealer be aware of this and if they fix it do they fix to the upgraded version?....startin' to think i better make an appointment.....

Old 02-04-2008, 11:09 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Ok i think mine is doing the same thing, just started today. called dealer already and they are getting me in tomorrow. But Im worried as ive got to drive about 20 miles to get there.
Just to confirm. If you turn on the 4 wheel drive it quits. If I turn it off I can hear what sounds more like a muffler shield rattle coming from the passenger side front end and can only hear it when on the go pedal. If your not on the go pedal you cant hear it.
Also noticed that when slowing down or going real slow, there is a slight hum. Like what you would hear when you have a set of aggressive tires on pavement.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:06 AM
PinkyRingz
Senior User
i'm going to print this thread and call my dealer this morning

Old 02-05-2008, 09:29 PM
SDTruckMan
Laughing Gas
Well, got my truck back from the dealer, they got it fixed.
Said that my vacuum line was disconnected at the hub.

Service paper works says..
" Found that the vacuum lines were disconnected at the hub not allowing the hub
to engage and also causing the hub to not disengage allowing it to make a grinding
noise. Reinstalled the vacuum line retested all grinding noise was gone and 4wd does work correctly."

My only worry is I had to drive 20 miles to the dealership...what kind of damage did I do to it in the process. Alternated between 4wd and 2wd on the way over.??????

Quick Reply: Grinding noise....??