Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

Honestly, what is the deal with Fords.

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 09:42 PM
cs_88
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Honestly, what is the deal with Fords.

I'm relatively new to this site, however I have been doing a lot of reading in these forums, from the F150, Superduty, Powerstrokes, mod motors and this forum, Ford vs the competition and I can't help but notice that the common theme throughout these forums is disappointment and frustration with Ford. People seem very frustrated with the overall reliability, engines, lack of performance and just the sense that Ford is simply falling behind. I grew up in a Ford family and have two Fords of my own which I am happy with but it seems without fail that any time the word Ford comes up I hear nothing but negatives whether its online or at work. So honestly, what is the deal with Fords, are they really that bad, and if so, how can they have the best selling trucks? I'm just curious about your honest opinions, I like Fords, but I cant say I meet too many people that have anything positive to say about them.

Old 01-19-2008, 09:45 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
No crap genius. This is were people come to when they have a problem or a question or just want to blow off some steam. Go to any other site its the same way for chevy dodge a toyota forums.
P.S. if they were bad then i dont think the F-series would be the best selling truck for 31 years running.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:40 AM
F250Wildman
Senior User
MY '04 F-150 FX4 has been one of the best and trouble free truck I 've ever owned and it has 84k on the odometer!!

Old 01-20-2008, 08:37 AM
osbornk
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cs_88
I'm relatively new to this site, however I have been doing a lot of reading in these forums, from the F150, Superduty, Powerstrokes, mod motors and this forum, Ford vs the competition and I can't help but notice that the common theme throughout these forums is disappointment and frustration with Ford. People seem very frustrated with the overall reliability, engines, lack of performance and just the sense that Ford is simply falling behind. I grew up in a Ford family and have two Fords of my own which I am happy with but it seems without fail that any time the word Ford comes up I hear nothing but negatives whether its online or at work. So honestly, what is the deal with Fords, are they really that bad, and if so, how can they have the best selling trucks? I'm just curious about your honest opinions, I like Fords, but I cant say I meet too many people that have anything positive to say about them.
You can go to any forum of any brand and hear the same thing about whatever brand it is. Doesn't matter if it is Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Toyota, etc. I own BMW motorcycles and when I go to their forums, you would think they were the worst of any motorcycle made. They're underpowered, unreliable, lousy dealers, etc. You could substitute Ford for BMW, they would sound exactly alike. I find both my BMW motorcycles and Ford vehicles to be very comfortable, reliable and well designed.

I suspect many of the posters are trolls and own other brands (or none at all).

Old 01-20-2008, 09:12 AM
sbowman
New User
I`am old enough to know when ford got a bad name which was
back in the 50`s. I grew with both ford and chevy cars, my first
car was 51chevy two door hard top. What allways impressed me
was our 48 ford pickup, you just could not tear it up. I still buy
ford pickups and have had excellent results. As my 2000 ford f150 5.4 goes over 150,000 i still hear how bad ford is. The guys
that i work with that own chevy pickups that have had to replace
transmissions are now going to dodge, the best thing about dodge is the cummins engine.

Last edited by sbowman; 01-20-2008 at 09:14 AM.
Old 01-20-2008, 09:26 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,108 Likes on 2,168 Posts
Originally Posted by osbornk

I suspect many of the posters are trolls and own other brands (or none at all).
i think this statement says it all.

Old 01-20-2008, 12:29 PM
bf250
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
No crap genius. This is were people come to when they have a problem or a question or just want to blow off some steam. Go to any other site its the same way for chevy dodge a toyota forums.
P.S. if they were bad then i dont think the F-series would be the best selling truck for 31 years running.
can not say it any better than that.

Old 01-20-2008, 03:20 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Well, my beef with Ford is from personal experience. My 2000 F150 5.4 4x4 has been the biggest POS vehicle I've ever owned. Even with religious maintence, this truck has cost me between 2500-3500 dollars in repairs over 3-4 years. It got an engine rebuild at around 77K miles from an intake manifold gasket leaking coolant into Cylinder #1, blowing the head gasket, overheating the engine, warping the heads, and filling the cats with coolant. The torque converter shudders all the time, the power locks don't work, the driver's side E-brake is locked up, the oddometer flashes on and off. Oh and it's underpowered.

My 94 F150 5.8 4x4 had plenty of issues as well including a transmission going out, the speedo needle would bounce aroun, and the body was rusting. However, I wish I would have fixed and kept that truck vs buying the 2000.

The 87 Ranger I had was awesome. 2.9, 5 speed, 4x4. It was lifted and locked with the stock D28 and the only thing that ever went wrong with it was a TFI module.

I also work at a fire dept and the 6.0s we have in two identical F450s have problems constantly. One is on it's 4th set of head gaskets in 60K miles. Even when they are running, they don't run good until hot.

Now as far as what they have now, the 08 SD is awesome. The Hybrid Escape is awesome. Everything else as far as trucks and SUVs are concerned is OK. We are still using 4 speed autos that date back the the AOD, we are constantly behind in the power department in gas trucks minus the V10, which is treated like a red headed step child.

What keeps me coming back to Ford is the styling. I flat out don't like the way anything else looks compared to Ford.

Mike

Old 01-20-2008, 06:14 PM
ghunt
Postmaster
Well I love my Ferds but then mine are all 10+ years old, even my POS tempo has been pretty dependable. Hell, I ran it into a chain link fence last week and all that happened was a broken corner light (and that happened when the tow truck pulled me out)

Old 01-20-2008, 09:31 PM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good point Superdutyuntouchable and that is true think of many people who own fords and have no troubles at all on the site or not like i bet many people who dont come on here dont know about specific problems with fords I love my Ford and im proud to say it its never gave me any trouble and i put alll my faith and trust in er she is great

Old 01-21-2008, 04:27 PM
jimbo beam
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most people tend to bitch and moan when something is wrong with their vehicle, not to many people come on here and start threads about how great their truck is running.

Its common sense, when the truck is running like it should we don't pay much attention to it, just hop in start it up and drive away. But when the truck breaks down then all hell breaks loose, most people come onto FTE and start a thread like "POS truck wont start".

Another thing I noticed is people will bitch about the smallest things, they'll complain about a door squeaking, something a simple squirt of grease would fix, yet they feel the need to bitch about their POS truck some more. They've convinced themselves that their truck is a piece of crap and they'll cry about it every chance they get.

some will start a thread about their tranny not shifting right. They'll neglect to tell us that their tranny has 150,000 miles on it and its never been serviced, once again they'll start a thread like "my pos tranny is broke".

I'll come right and tell ya I have 3 Ford trucks and I'm nothing but happy with them. I do routine maintenance, and I don't throw a hissy fit about simple things. I'll fix it when theres something wrong, instead of beating on it tell it breaks, and then calling it a piece of *****.

I've got a 82 F100 with 237,000 miles on it, and I've got a 86 F150 with 177,000 miles. They're both rusty and beat up, but all be damned they still run just fine. I keep clean fluids in them and they just keep going. Both have their original engines, and trannys. They both hold 20+ pounds of oil pressure at idle, and they both hold steady around 195 degrees when cruising, both trannys run through the gears like they should. Who'd imagine, you take care of a vehicle and it runs right, its a simple concept.

My 96 F150 runs just like it did when it was new, it also looks like it did when it was brand new. I take time to wash, polish, and care for it. I park it in the garage, and I only drive it on nice days. Sure it may be annoying and inconvenient taking time to care for a vehicle, but if you want a nice vehicle you have to take care of it.

Last edited by jimbo beam; 01-21-2008 at 04:31 PM.
Old 01-21-2008, 07:45 PM
FRECSF
Senior User
IMHO what I believe is wrong with Ford is the fact that they are strapped financially. Until they start to make money don't expect much.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:05 PM
Jason Lewis
Posting Guru
[QUOTE=jimbo beam]Most people tend to bitch and moan when something is wrong Who'd imagine, you take care of a vehicle and it runs right, its a simple concept.

Thats exactly my point simple maintenance on a vehicle and i mean more than "oil changes" you got Colant flushes, Trans Service, Fuel Filter air filters.

Thats what i do other than the Starter and the Alternator everything else is stock. 125,000 MIles

Old 01-24-2008, 10:18 PM
BLK94F150
Postmaster
Well I have done religious on my 2000 and it has still been a piece of crap. So have the trucks at work. I know there all alway some bad ones, but crap, when do I get a good one?

Mike

Old 01-25-2008, 02:49 AM
Jonas1022
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Nothing but good things to say about my Fords. Cars or trucks. I know I have something better because I have owned the competitiors cars and trucks, and they are not anything to write about. Although all vehicles tend to be problematic. They are complicated! They are built by people! People screw up! Fix it, move on...

I think there is a level that people believe the Ford Motor Company should reach in producing a truck and or a car. And if that level isn't met, then the Ford product is inferior. It maybe that the people buying them are the problem in that the unfulfilled expectations of the product...blah, blah, blah.
Clear?

Last edited by Jonas1022; 01-25-2008 at 02:51 AM.

Quick Reply: Honestly, what is the deal with Fords.