Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2009 Escape--2.5 liters and 6 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2008, 01:15 PM
YoGeorge
Logistics Pro
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 Escape--2.5 liters and 6 speeds...

I haven't seen this in the "official" press releases yet, but a family member who works for Ford drivetrain ops told me that the 2009 Escape (or maybe 2010?) will have a larger, 2.5 liter Duratec four cylinder (based on the current motor)--I think I have seen this somewhere--and a SIX speed automatic transmission.

I'm guessing that both gas mileage and performance will be great, although this sounds like it would also warrant a price increase...

George

Old 01-19-2008, 08:15 PM
tcesni
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford will need to upgrade the drivetrains in the Escape to keep it competitive in this hot small CRV class. The Fusion 3.0 V6 gets 221 hp and a six-speed auto, why not the Escape?

Old 01-20-2008, 02:27 PM
JFUSION
Senior User
sounds like a good way to improve fuel economy, might get numbers closer to the hybrid version without the added cost, though I really like the Hybrids.

I like the new model escape but I won't buy one until they upgrade the transmission, the six speed is a good upgrade. Not sure if the six speed tranny will do much for fuel economy on its own, at least not in highway driving conditions. I have a Fusion 3L v6 with six speed auto tranny, and an Escape 3L v6 4 speed auto, both rev at similar rpms at highway speeds, perhaps the Fusion revs a tiny bit higher if anything. The 6 speed may help a bit in city driving as it seems to skip gears seamlessly, and I think it will be a more reliable tranny in the long term. Looking forward to such a beast if it comes to market.

Old 01-21-2008, 03:04 PM
tcesni
Elder User
More info on the '09 Escape that goes on sale later this summer:

"Ford said the 2009 Escape and Mariner's overall fuel efficiency would increase by 1 mpg compared with the 2008 versions, which gets between 28 to 32 mpg overall depending on the engine configuration.

The hybrid will have a new 2.5-liter engine which will boost power 11 percent to 170 horsepower. It will also offer an optional 230-hp, 3.0-liter V6 engine with similar gains in fuel economy. The 2009 version will go on sale this summer"

Finally, a hp increase for the V6. Maybe I will have a new Escape in my future to replace my well used '02 Tribute.

Old 01-21-2008, 08:06 PM
MattV
Junior User
Damn, I might have to look into one of those....

Old 01-21-2008, 10:35 PM
Ford43
Junior User
If they have increased the power of the 3.0l to 230 that is plenty and increased the gas mileage. look out. I have an '02 that could be trade bait. The 3.0 has plenty of power. Although 170 hp out of a 2.5 is awful tempting especially for the lovely gas prices that seem to keep rising(for no good reason).

I hate to change the subject of this forum but to jfusion with the fusion, How do you like it? Just curious, my wife is wanting to trade her 500 to downsize to a fusion. Everyone I have talked with loves it.

Old 01-22-2008, 07:37 AM
tcesni
Elder User
What I haven't figured out is the source of the new 230 hp V6. Is this an upgrade of the existing powerplant or a smaller version of the new 3.5L? I read that the 3.5L won't fit the engine bay of the Escape and destroking the motor wouldn't change the size of the block so I am leaning towards the new motor being a revision of the existing motor with variable valve timing. Maybe they are adding duel outlet exhaust to help.

Old 01-22-2008, 05:33 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Originally Posted by JFUSION
sounds like a good way to improve fuel economy, might get numbers closer to the hybrid version without the added cost, though I really like the Hybrids.

I like the new model escape but I won't buy one until they upgrade the transmission, the six speed is a good upgrade. Not sure if the six speed tranny will do much for fuel economy on its own, at least not in highway driving conditions. I have a Fusion 3L v6 with six speed auto tranny, and an Escape 3L v6 4 speed auto, both rev at similar rpms at highway speeds, perhaps the Fusion revs a tiny bit higher if anything. The 6 speed may help a bit in city driving as it seems to skip gears seamlessly, and I think it will be a more reliable tranny in the long term. Looking forward to such a beast if it comes to market.
j: What do u think of your escape I was thinking about an 08 haven't driven one yet with a v-6 was wondering what kind of mileage a 4X4 would get on the hwy and how solid are they??? Thanx

Old 01-22-2008, 08:33 PM
JFUSION
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford43
If they have increased the power of the 3.0l to 230 that is plenty and increased the gas mileage. look out. I have an '02 that could be trade bait. The 3.0 has plenty of power. Although 170 hp out of a 2.5 is awful tempting especially for the lovely gas prices that seem to keep rising(for no good reason).

I hate to change the subject of this forum but to jfusion with the fusion, How do you like it? Just curious, my wife is wanting to trade her 500 to downsize to a fusion. Everyone I have talked with loves it.
Overall I enjoy the Fusion quite a bit, not sure how it compares to the 500, though I like the 500 too. The only way I wanted to take the Fusion was the v6 SEL with leather seats and 6 speed auto tranny. It has all of the features to make it a nice driving experience and the interior gets a decent boost in terms of attractiveness and feel. Not sure I would like just a basic Fusion. We took our Fusion on a 5,000 mile trip last summer through the U.S, and it was fantastic. Superb fuel economy, loaded with tons of stuff, and the car handled great the entire trip, lots of room and very comfy. No real complaints about the Fusion. hope this helps.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:46 PM
JFUSION
Senior User
Originally Posted by 04 FX4 Lineman
j: What do u think of your escape I was thinking about an 08 haven't driven one yet with a v-6 was wondering what kind of mileage a 4X4 would get on the hwy and how solid are they??? Thanx
I like my Escape for what it is, it is a solid little truck, it is a bit dated in terms of technology and perhaps styling but it does everything asked of it pretty darn well. I bought it as a winter vehicle, and I love driving it hard in winter conditions, works really well. Fuel economy isn't that great , I have the v6 4wd, it isn''t really bad but it isn't that great either. It is acceptable I guess considering the weight and 4wd and aerodynamics. My sister has an 06 Escape Limited, and I really enjoy driving her Escape compared to my xlt. The Limited has a superior ride, is quieter, has numerous interior upgrades, and it handles better than other Escapes due to suspension upgrades. I much prefer the limited escape over the other models.

I drove an 08 Escape for a day. They are much nicer in terms of styling for interior and exterior, though there isn't any more room in the new design, which is a bit deceiving. They are a bit quieter, and they seem to handle a tad bit better I think. I like the added safety features such as stability and anti-roll control, extra airbags etc.... . Best upgrade on the Escape is the electric power steering, it is superb, Ford got that feature dead perfect. The Electric power steering gives the Escape a bit better fuel economy, though it isn't that much better over the old design escape, fuel economy did not improve much from what I could tell. I was disappointed that the transmission did not change and fuel economy wasn't that much better than the old design. From what I'm hearing it may be worth waiting for 2009, sounds like some decent improvements coming down the pipes.

Old 01-22-2008, 08:50 PM
04 FX4 Lineman
Elder User
Thanx for the info J!!

Old 01-22-2008, 09:51 PM
sfcwoodret
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They are improving these vehicles faster than people can buy them.

Old 01-22-2008, 10:44 PM
builtfordtough13
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sfcwoodret
Its better than what they used to do right.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:12 AM
MattV
Junior User
Originally Posted by sfcwoodret
The car manufacturers have to now that the gov't passed the 35mpg fleet requirements by the year 2020.

Old 01-23-2008, 06:01 PM
JFUSION
Senior User
well the current 3 L Fusion motor makes 221 hp, it doesn't take much to get it up to 230 hp , so I suspect the engine making 230 hp is a variant of the Fusion motor which has variable valve timing, unlike the current Escape 3 L motor that lacks the variable timing component. I'd say if you took the current Fusion 3L v6 motor and added electric power steering, you'd get it up to 230 hp. Probably what we'll see in the next Escape.

Quick Reply: 2009 Escape--2.5 liters and 6 speeds...