block cleaning

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 11:52 PM
oaskills
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
block cleaning

just wondering what you guys do to get your block clean. couldnt justify getting it hot-tanked so i just took it to a car wash. That got most of the buildup off but i still have some residue on it. Just trying to get it clean enough for paint.
Thanks

Old 12-24-2007, 10:23 AM
tim.moman
Elder User
Just a note for ya, getting the oil gallies clean is a real challenge. Be sur to pull "all" plugs and brush those gallies. Even with the hot tank the plugs need removed to get all the trashed loosened and out. Whatever remains will end up in your bearings.

Old 12-27-2007, 11:35 PM
chrono4
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
just dont forget to put the plugs back in. If you leave one out, you'll get low oil pressure, and in the wrong areas.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:59 PM
BEWOLD
Senior User
I think plug removal is a must. Its wise to invest in some good galley brushes (rifle brushes) as well. Hot tank is definetly worth it if you have access to one. I ran my 90 302 HO through a caustic spray booth a couple of times after removal of the oil galley and casting plugs. It came out spotless. It looked like brand new iron, probably better than new. I pressure washed it after each time in the tank, and you wouldnt believe the amount of casting sand and crap that comes out of the block. I still inspected and cleaned everything carefully after. Ive heard of guys using comet bathroom cleaner in a large metal tub or drum of water and then heating it (Makeing sure to be ventilated). I have an old oil drum that was steamed out and a large magnetic tractor block-heater that ive been told would be perfect, but havent tried it. I was told it was alright to dump down the drain because its a household cleaner, then I asked what about the old paint and oil that comes off the engine..........there was No comment. So I still say take it to a hot tank, that way the left overs are someone elses problem and hopfully taken care of properly.

Old 01-03-2008, 08:27 PM
White Max
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
As little as it costs to get a block hot tanked, I can't see a reason to skip that important step in rebuilding an engine.

-Rod

Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM
blue350
Junior User
Hot Tank it. It is well worth the money, gets a lot of the oils out of the metal, which makes for better adhesion of paint