1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

First Time Fire it Up Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 02:40 PM
53OlderThanMe
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Time Fire it Up Questions

Well I still have to drill the holes for the mounts and do some wiring but I think I will get a chance to (try) to fire it up by New Years.

I stripped the frame in the front and under the cab. Cleaned with drill and wire brush, painted the whole thing with Rustoleum Hammered. It looks great and I have the engine/tran sitting in there waiting for alignment and final mounting. I will post pictures soon.

Before I get too far I want to see if the old 302/C4 iron I have runs and is viable. Now the questions:

1. Can I start the engine and run it for 2-3 minutes at a time without a radiator hooked up?

2. Can I block off the transmission cooler lines and again run for 2-3 minutes at a time without damaging anything?

Just wanting to see if what I have is viable without complete rebuilds before I get too far and started on other things like soda blasting, power brakes and steering.

Thanks!

Old 12-20-2007, 02:46 PM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i wouldnt recommend what i'm about to say , but 2-3 aint gonna hurt . i have run demo cars for 10-15 minutes with the cooling system " temporarily " disabled shall we say . we'd just let it cool repair , poor water pee, beer whatever into it again and back to slammin . ive had 'em so hot the manifolds were red with a nice tinge of white and it started back up . so in essence you oughtta be o.k. . just keep a careful eye and ear !!!!!!!