General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

How to fight Police and private harrassment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 02:46 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fight Police and private harrassment?

Hey folks.

I am getting sick of this crap.

Tonight, I was awoken by the police beating on my window in response to a complaint about noise violation. My radio. This is the 4th...5th time in a week?

My radio is always on, however, my radio volume at night, like rightnow, and whne this complaint was filed, is well below the noise of normal conversation. Frankly, I am tired of being woken up at 2-3am for this BS when obviooulsy any level of noise at all is unacceptable (which is complete and utter BS)

I live in an apartment complex, the person above me is the one complaining, I believe that the problem is that any form of bass is transmitted through the metal structure of the building. But this means that a radio that puts out bass at an almost inperceptable level will still transmit. Hardly cause for a noise violation.

the thing that is really gettin to me about this is the officer that responded. His actions, tones, generally the entire experience was unacceptable. I am friends with many, many of the police officers in the area, in fact, I drink with some of them.

this is a newer officer, that I have never cared for.

He is also being harrassing about his own stupidity. As I said, I know many of the local police officers, and often when I am at my ex's, I will head by the police station after she leaves to chat with one of the guys, or to get a cab ride home. (easier for them to meet me at the station than her apartment) if I don't feel like walkin. He is also threatening me with being arrested for I guess going to the police station of all things! He apparantly inquires any time he sees me as to wth I am up to, (maybe it has to do with my cold weather coat, a black trench) but was informed by one of his officers that I went to the p.d. and just stood outside, and never went inside the office. This is, btw, completely bogus. If I go by, of course I go inside, I go by to inquire who is on shift at the time, or rather to see which shift it on (they work a rotating 2-2-3 12 hour shift) and on these two particular nights (which was not last week as he states since my ex was out of town and thus I was never over on that side of town) the first night I went over to see which shift was on, seeing it wasnt the one with my buds, I walked home, the next night it was colder than crap so I went by and called a taxi (had the officer inside make the call) and wiated outside for 15 minutes waiting.

So, what is the best way to go around taking care of both of these problems? I mean, with the cop, I wait till tomorrow night, I file a complaint. But the other harassment issue? I mean, do I need to get one of the cops who isnt a butt to come out here and decide at what point the radio is acceptable, and devise some way to show that the radio is being kept at acceptable and that she has to deal with it?

Old 12-17-2007, 02:55 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
BTW,

Possession and/or Use of Guns, Firearms, Knives, Explosives, and Other
Weapons - Possession of and/or exploding of fireworks and other explosives and possession
and/or discharging of shotguns, rifles, pistols, air rifles, BB guns, paint guns, sling shots, bows
and other lethal or damaging weapons

that is a copy of local law regarding possesion of firearms. (I live on a colelge campus btw)
My .45 is located off-campus, actually, one of my cop buddies is holding the weapon for me, has been for a few months.

I have the ammunition, now, looking at that paragraph, ammunition does not violate that possesion law correct?

(another problem I am having with this same officer)

Old 12-17-2007, 03:02 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
as a last note, I just loocked at my speaker setup (I run the radio over the computer) I wasn't even pushing my sub, it was off. I was only running the LF, RF, LB, and RB speakers. Sub and center where off.

Old 12-17-2007, 04:51 AM
wizzard351
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
years ago we had a cop that was a real **** he would follow ya rite to your door step then give ya the shake down for nuttin,rite ya a ticket for 1-2 mph over then if you were goin less then the limit he'd pull ya over to see why you were goin slower. well the news said (i dont remember the date and the paper) that he was jumped in the alley by atlest a dozen people in ski masks,needless to say after that he turned out to be a pretty good cop

Old 12-17-2007, 09:19 AM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
well, I aint about to beat up a cop....

Old 12-17-2007, 09:47 AM
freirefishing
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Jimmy Dean
well, I aint about to beat up a cop....
lol, why not???

id say listen ****, you come here for a complaint, if ya can here my music through the door or windows, then let me know, if ya cant here it, dont bother me, see if his sargeant likes 25 complaints on his officer, because that officer isnt using his better judgement.

i live in an apartment complex as well. i hear things as well, a headboard pounding against the wall, music, etc.....

another thing is if your truley not making much sound after hours, and you think the guy above you is messin with ya, call on him at 2 am, and see how he likes it.

Old 12-17-2007, 09:50 AM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
Hey folks.

I am getting sick of this crap.

Tonight, I was awoken by the police beating on my window in response to a complaint about noise violation. My radio. This is the 4th...5th time in a week?

My radio is always on, however, my radio volume at night, like rightnow, and whne this complaint was filed, is well below the noise of normal conversation. Frankly, I am tired of being woken up at 2-3am for this BS when obviooulsy any level of noise at all is unacceptable (which is complete and utter BS)

I live in an apartment complex, the person above me is the one complaining, I believe that the problem is that any form of bass is transmitted through the metal structure of the building. But this means that a radio that puts out bass at an almost inperceptable level will still transmit. Hardly cause for a noise violation.
So here is the plainly obvious thing to do, go talk to the person who you "think" is complaining to the cops about your music. After the 2nd time the cops "harrassed" you about this, why not try to fix the problem yourself. ( maybe by turning the volume or bass lower or even turning the music off at night. Unless there is some "real" reason why it has to be on )

What kind of mood do you think the police are in when they have to keep returning to your place in the middle of the night for a noise violation? After 4 or 5 times of returning to the same problem in a week, you think they ( cops ) might be somewhat pissed that you haven't done anything? And by all means, the person upstairs is also to blame for not having the testicular fortitude to come and talk to you and ask that you turn the volume down. But instead lets "harass" the police with mindless complaints because they are too lazy to solve a problem themselves...

the thing that is really gettin to me about this is the officer that responded. His actions, tones, generally the entire experience was unacceptable. I am friends with many, many of the police officers in the area, in fact, I drink with some of them.

this is a newer officer, that I have never cared for.
Once again, reference the fact that the cops have had to show up on your door step 4 or 5 times IN A WEEK for this very problem. Obviously a solution to this problem hasn't sunk in yet. If you know and drink with some of these cops like you state, you think you should know better?

Once simple solution to your complaining and hopefully so you can have a good nights sleep is to quite simply'

TURN DOWN OR OFF YOUR MUSIC!

Last edited by SMIGGS; 12-17-2007 at 09:58 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 AM
websthes
Postmaster
My radio is always on, however, my radio volume at night, like rightnow, and whne this complaint was filed, is well below the noise of normal conversation.

Maybe she's upset you leave your radio on all day. She is also feeling harassed. Her only recourse is to complain at night when the noise by-laws are on her side.

I think most police would have issued a ticket after the 2nd or 3rd warning. You've been warned what 5 times now? Perhaps this police officer respected the fact you are friends with many of the police and you are exaggerating your feelings of being harassed. Because you are used to socializing with the police, not having them come around your door on police business.

I think you could show some courtesy to your neighbor and not leave your radio on all the time. If you feel this cop is harassing you, you can complain to the proper authorities. But that will probably compromise your friendship with the other police. Maybe this new guy was sent to talk to you because your friends didn't want to be the ones doing it. You can talk to your cop friends about your problem with the neighbor and how their colleague handled the situation. But maybe they will tell you the same thing, turn down the radio and don't tell them how to do their job.

I suggest turning down the radio and showing some courtesy to your upstairs neighbor.

Last edited by websthes; 12-17-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:36 AM
Buckarcher
Posting Guru
Why would your radio need to be on while you (and everyone else) are sleeping?

Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
I have had the cops come by twice. The first time, they laughed. the music was so low when they came in they asked if my radio was even on.

The second time was the cop last night. apparantly they come by and I avoid them (according the the police reports they have been filing) which is hardly the case. I have never once avoided conversing with a cop or any other type of athority figure...I get along with most of them. I went down to the housing office and talked with my coordinator, hall director, and the housing manager today for about 45 minutes about all this, I have known them all for years. They know me better.

I sleep with background music, I live near a road and railroad tracks, I used to live on an air force base, I need something on so that sudden engine noises are not as distinctive or interuptive. and even then most of the time I turn the music off when I am asleep (I have it on a timer, if I am not on the computer for 30 minutes it powers down)

I read a few things in the report today that are very....off... would be the right word. I really think that she is hearin someone elses radio and thinks it is mine. Seeing as how I don't listen to Rap or Pop...it would be very hard for her to have been hearing those songs coming from my apartment. I believe that I will also be returning the favor with the calls.

Also...apparantly she came by my apartment last night at about 11 to complain about the noise, I didnt get IN till after midnight. And my music was not on when I got home, I had been gone all day and had turned my speakers off.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:34 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
I went down to the housing office and talked with my coordinator, hall director, and the housing manager today for about 45 minutes about all this, I have known them all for years. They know me better..
That is a step in the right direction.

I read a few things in the report today that are very....off... would be the right word. I really think that she is hearin someone elses radio and thinks it is mine. Seeing as how I don't listen to Rap or Pop...it would be very hard for her to have been hearing those songs coming from my apartment.
So is it really that cop who is harassing you?

I believe that I will also be returning the favor with the calls.
And what would that solve....besides creating more paper work for your "cop friends" which I'm sure they will be greatful towards you for.

Also...apparantly she came by my apartment last night at about 11 to complain about the noise, I didnt get IN till after midnight. And my music was not on when I got home, I had been gone all day and had turned my speakers off.
Go up to her apartment and explain this to her. Who knows, she might actually apologize and cut you some slack and not "harass" you with complaints anymore.

If you go this way, at least let us know if she is good looking.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM
Jimmy Dean
Postmaster
she aint that great lookin...at least not from the one time I remember seein her...and I was hammered at the time and she wasnt that attractive....

Old 12-17-2007, 03:45 PM
SMIGGS
Posting Guru
...and I was hammered at the time and she wasnt that attractive....
Which doesn't bode well for her if your having to look at her sober!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:49 PM
cmpd1781
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
she aint that great lookin...at least not from the one time I remember seein her...and I was hammered at the time and she wasnt that attractive....
You must not have been 'hammered' enough.....Drink a few more and get back with us......

Old 12-17-2007, 03:54 PM
kermmydog
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Man, your making a bigger deal out of this than needs to be. I agree go down & talk with this gal and see if the two of you can work it out. Crap, Your lucky they haven't cited you. Just what the police want to do is respond to noise complains at 2 am. 5 times in one week. Why don't you just shut the damn radio off at night when you go to bed. Grow up.

Quick Reply: How to fight Police and private harrassment?