1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a neutral switch on a 6-speed manual? (Remote start install)

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 09:26 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Is there a neutral switch on a 6-speed manual? (Remote start install)

Hi all, My fiance bought me a pretty darn nice remote start/alarm system for my truck as a Christmas present. Of course, its wrapped up and she put in under the tree, but I did manage to steal the install manual from the box before she wrapped it

She bought me a Prestige APS-998 system. Its pretty darn loaded out, and has a cool "wait to start" input for diesels.

Heres my dilema. I am wanting to install the remote start feature on my truck and I have a 6 speed manual. There is an input on the system that when grounded, it disables the remote start feature. What I would like to know is if there is a neutral switch, or a gear indicator switch on the transmissions?

Ideally, I would like to tap into some type of switch on the transmission so that I can get a ground when the trucks in gear, so that the truck wont remote start when in gear.

Anybody know of a way to do this?

Thanks!

Old 12-12-2007, 09:36 PM
rg200amp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not an expert at all, this might be stupid, but can you install a remote start on that truck? i mean, dont you need to press in the clutch pedal to start the truck? how would that work?

Old 12-12-2007, 09:38 PM
donjamer
Received 63 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Boo_Daddy
Hi all, My fiance bought me a pretty darn nice remote start/alarm system for my truck as a Christmas present. Of course, its wrapped up and she put in under the tree, but I did manage to steal the install manual from the box before she wrapped it

She bought me a Prestige APS-998 system. Its pretty darn loaded out, and has a cool "wait to start" input for diesels.

Heres my dilema. I am wanting to install the remote start feature on my truck and I have a 6 speed manual. There is an input on the system that when grounded, it disables the remote start feature. What I would like to know is if there is a neutral switch, or a gear indicator switch on the transmissions?

Ideally, I would like to tap into some type of switch on the transmission so that I can get a ground when the trucks in gear, so that the truck wont remote start when in gear.

Anybody know of a way to do this?

Thanks!
I don't think there is a neutral switch on the manual trannys.

I have an 06 6speed and had to install a compustar alarm because it was the only one I could find that had remote start for manual trannys..

Before using the remote start I have to set it by putting the tranny in neutral and depressing the ebrake.. Then when the ignition is shut off the truck remains running until I exit the vehicle then it is set..

If you do not do this it does not arm.

Kind of a pain in the ****, but I would rather be safe..

Don't try to install it with out some safety device or you will more than likely crash it when trying to start in gear..

Remember someone else may drive your truck and leave it in gear..

Old 12-12-2007, 09:45 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Yeah, to answer the first question, the alarm has an output that grounds for 2 seconds before starting and stays grounded until 20 seconds after starting, so I could use that for the clutch switch.

I agree Donjamer, thats why I am wanting some sort of gear or neutral indicator switch frm the tranny. I had thought about getting up under there and looking to see if I could make one from some angle iron, and bolt up an switch to the shift linkages. But if there was one on the tranny, that would be better.

Does anyone have the regular service manuals for the Chassis of the superduties? i have the 6.0 bible, but it only covers the engine, and not the enitire chassis.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:55 PM
donjamer
Yeah, to answer the first question, the alarm has an output that grounds for 2 seconds before starting and stays grounded until 20 seconds after starting, so I could use that for the clutch switch.

I agree Donjamer, thats why I am wanting some sort of gear or neutral indicator switch frm the tranny. I had thought about getting up under there and looking to see if I could make one from some angle iron, and bolt up an switch to the shift linkages. But if there was one on the tranny, that would be better.

Does anyone have the regular service manuals for the Chassis of the superduties? i have the 6.0 bible, but it only covers the engine, and not the enitire chassis.
Maybe you can get the info from the compustar website..

This page has install manuals and wiring diagrams, but you will have to find out which one is the model for manual trannys.

http://www.compustar.com/main.htm

Old 12-12-2007, 10:14 PM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
I didnt see anything on the compustar site.

Does anyone have a chassis wiring diagrams?

Old 12-12-2007, 10:58 PM
donjamer
I didnt see anything on the compustar site.

Does anyone have a chassis wiring diagrams?
Sorry that link just went to their main page..

Goto the dealer section and then installation manuals.

Old 12-13-2007, 05:49 AM
05 6.0
New User
There ia NO nuetral switch on your truck. Do NOT install a non manual trans remote starter on a manual vehicle. You will eventually slip up and start the truck in gear and damage the vehicle, other property, your property, or worse a person. I am in the business and have seen it all and you will get your @ss sued off if you hurt someone with it. I have seen it happen a hundred times over the last 15 years and I could tell you stories that would make you cringe. Worst I have seen in a 25 yo guy end up in a wheel chair after getting caught between 2 cars when a truck was started in gear. His legs were crushed. They Make starters specifically for Manual trans applications as was pointed out above. Ultra Start has a model, Compustar (dont like) and several others. Return the Audiovox and get the proper one. Just my 2 cents.

Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
I understand where you are coming from 05 6.0. But even the systems that are designed for a manual arent fool proof if there is no gear indicator override. The only true way for any remote start system on a manual to be fool proof is to have some sort of interlock for gear indication.

Honestly I dont really want to return this Prestige alarm. To me, its prolly one of the best as far as options. The real reason I want to use the Prestige is for the fact that I have a Carlink CL-100 telematics module that I plan on using with this setup. That gives me the ability to remote start, unlock and lock my doors and several other functions simply by calling a 1-800 number. I had this system on a previious truck and when I sold it, I took the module out because I liked it so well. Heck, I even had speed dial programmed in on my phone to make the call and automatically enter the codes to perform the remote start.

The cool thing about this setup is that it has no limited range I can be 20 miles away from my truck, and call the number and start her up. Its also cool if you forget and lock your keys in your truck you just call the number and unlock your doors. (I used this feature several times )

Old 12-13-2007, 07:28 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
I breifly crawled under my truck this morning before heading out to work, and I noticed two harnesses coming from the tranny. My truck has the PTO provision, so I assume one is for the PTO stuff. the other looked like it had about 4 wires in it. I will try and spend some more time under it tonight when I get home.

Speaking of PTO, isnt there a interlock that only lets the PTO clutch engage if the tranny is in netural and the parking brake set?

Old 12-13-2007, 09:24 AM
05 6.0
New User
I understand where you are coming from 05 6.0. But even the systems that are designed for a manual arent fool proof if there is no gear indicator override. The only true way for any remote start system on a manual to be fool proof is to have some sort of interlock for gear indication.

Honestly I dont really want to return this Prestige alarm. To me, its prolly one of the best as far as options. The real reason I want to use the Prestige is for the fact that I have a Carlink CL-100 telematics module that I plan on using with this setup. That gives me the ability to remote start, unlock and lock my doors and several other functions simply by calling a 1-800 number. I had this system on a previious truck and when I sold it, I took the module out because I liked it so well. Heck, I even had speed dial programmed in on my phone to make the call and automatically enter the codes to perform the remote start.

The cool thing about this setup is that it has no limited range I can be 20 miles away from my truck, and call the number and start her up. Its also cool if you forget and lock your keys in your truck you just call the number and unlock your doors. (I used this feature several times )
That is already old technology. Check out the Autopage C3 Technology. If you have a vehicle with CAN (not our trucks) you will not only be able to do that with your data enabled phone, you will be able to tell things like tire pressure, the temp in the vehicle, where it is, how fast its going and on and on. All at no extra cost on your phone. You will also be able to download a pic of your truck onto your OLED remote.

Old 12-13-2007, 09:39 AM
Bernie Lomax
Senior User
This can definitely be done, it's just a matter of finding someone who's done one before. I know of others who have had manual trannys with remote start.

Old 12-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Boo_Daddy
Tuned
Originally Posted by 05 6.0
That is already old technology. Check out the Autopage C3 Technology. If you have a vehicle with CAN (not our trucks) you will not only be able to do that with your data enabled phone, you will be able to tell things like tire pressure, the temp in the vehicle, where it is, how fast its going and on and on. All at no extra cost on your phone. You will also be able to download a pic of your truck onto your OLED remote.
Have you seen what they charge for that C3? it starts at 149 a year and has very limited uses (if you really want to take advantage of it). My Carlink setup doesnt cost me a single cent, it has lifetime service and there are no limits on how many times you can use it. PLus, I already have a module

The APS-998 tells the temp of the vehicle on the remote. It can also be set to start the truck at a certain temp, and run for a selectable amount of time.

Here is the service plans for Autopages C3 technology:
http://www.c3autopageusa.com/uploads/C3_SERVICE_PLANS.pdf

Last edited by Boo_Daddy; 12-13-2007 at 10:05 AM.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:48 AM
05 6.0
New User
it is also a tracking sytem as well so it justifies the yearly fee. Onstar costs $900 a year and does less. Mostly all the 2-way systems tell you the temp and have programible start time built in.

Old 12-13-2007, 12:25 PM
the Goat
Senior User
I agree you should really got a remote start that is designed to be used with a manual transmission.

I hacked a remote start into my Bronco with manual transmission. I left it in gear once and it took off when I started it. Nobody was hurt and there was no property damage besides some damaged grass. But I got very lucky. Of corse I kept using that same remote start system until I sold the Bronco. But I keep waiting to read a newspaper article about the new owner causing some damage with the setup.

If I were to do it over agian I would use a system designed for manual transmission no question.

Quick Reply: Is there a neutral switch on a 6-speed manual? (Remote start install)