2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XM Radio Installation Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2007, 11:22 PM
krazymatt
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
XM Radio Installation Questions

I am considering installing XM Radio onto my 06 Super Crew 4x4 Lariat. I have read past posts on this. I am planning on installing the PIE adaptor and hopefully using the Audiovox Terk Commander which will fit in the ash tray. Now my main question is when using the PIE adaptor, will it plug directly into the XM wiring? It also says you can use it for an IPOD. My main question is how the PIE adaptors plug into your XM unit or IPOD unit? Any info and ideas regarding XM radio installation onto our trucks is greatly appreciated. Thanks....

Old 12-10-2007, 06:27 AM
bridge
Sick 'n Tired
Received 45 Likes on 23 Posts
I used a PIE adapter on my '01 Expy. If memory serves I believe I used standard composite inputs (red/white). The XM Commander has a separate module that goes behind the dash (or under the carpet, under a seat, where ever) that has a composite output. That goes to the PIE. The PIE I used has an on/off switch and when it was on if you hit the am/fm button three times it would go over to auxiliary/sat.

Old 12-11-2007, 02:44 PM
1-bigmac
Junior User
Smile

Originally Posted by krazymatt
I am considering installing XM Radio onto my 06 Super Crew 4x4 Lariat. I have read past posts on this. I am planning on installing the PIE adaptor and hopefully using the Audiovox Terk Commander which will fit in the ash tray. Now my main question is when using the PIE adaptor, will it plug directly into the XM wiring? It also says you can use it for an IPOD. My main question is how the PIE adaptors plug into your XM unit or IPOD unit? Any info and ideas regarding XM radio installation onto our trucks is greatly appreciated. Thanks....
I had the exact setup you're talking about, but just switched it out for an Alpine IVA w205, but at any rate... The PIE adaptor plugs in to the CAN bus on the back of your headunit and the other end of PIE plug accepts the OEM CAN connnection. So now the PIE communicates with the OEM headunit. Touching the AUX on the HU switches to the PIE (screen will say "PIE"). The PIE adaptor has one set of RCA inputs. PIE sells an auxilarry 3-way switch that will allow you to switch inputs to the PIE. I had my iPOD hooked up to one set, and my XM to a second set (the 3rd wasn't used). With the iPOD, you won't see anything on the OEM HU screen except "PIE", so you'll have to look at the iPOD itself to get track/music info. Control is thru the iPOD. If you're interested in a minimally used PIE adaptor, and/or the aux switch, and/or the TERK XM commander, let me know and I'll make you a deal.

Old 12-12-2007, 10:46 AM
krazymatt
Senior User
I might be interested. PM sent....THanks....