6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Check Air Filer Warning

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2007, 08:06 PM
rknight111
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down Check Air Filer Warning

My air filter is a block of Ice. I have removed it as the check air filter light came on last night and I was totally suprised, its heavy and covered in Ice and snow. Then calling another dealer today they had other inquires into the same thing from other people. Hmm, I think they have an issue to fix. Im just off to the dealer to get a new one, and I better not have to pay for it. $160.00

After going to the dealer Ford, not the dealer, they were shocked that the Ford warentee would not cover. They wont supply me with a new air filter they gave me the attached Service Bulletin instead, now I must add this part to prevent this problem as it is happining alot. Now the funny thing is the part is not available yet from Ford. So I guess I will have to alternate air filters back and forth about two times a week. I will be contacting Ford on this issue as the filter is $137.00 and it takes about 5 minutes to change. I wonder if I needed to spend more money on a truck to have an air filter system that works? FORD: Built in Canada For Canadians

Here is the service Bulletin:

Now, I asked the dealer if I can scrap this Factory crap and put in a AFE system from Dennis at NADP and they noted to me if I did there would be warranty issues then. Ive been on hold too long to get through to ford today and I will contact them by email.

Check your Air Filter now, Im sure Im not the only one. By the way my truck has 11000 km on it.

RON

Last edited by IB Tim; 12-04-2007 at 05:16 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:11 AM
tommpa
Junior User
Let me see if I understand this. We have a potential problem with the air filter. They want the owner to pay for the new one. We can't put in what we want or it will void the warranty. The warranty which does not cover the fact that they have screwed up the air intake system and do not have the fix available for yet. What is our warranty now?

I do not see the attachment.

Old 12-04-2007, 07:26 AM
marcussen
Senior User
That is the second post I have seen about airfilter problems in snowy conditions. A sign of what is to come since winter is not officialy here yet?

Old 12-04-2007, 07:37 AM
mpc709
New User
What ever happened to the 1 million miles of testing in the desert heat and the arctic? You mean to tell me they never had a problem! I doubt it! If they realize they have a problem then why do we have to pay for the fix!

Old 12-04-2007, 08:24 AM
rknight111
New User
Thumbs down Air filter failure pic

Here is the pic..

Heres the PDF of the TSB, too bad they dont have the parts and the air filter cost $137.00. Lucky I kept my 02 chevy and havnt sold it yet.

http://www.snowandmud.com/ronsstuff/FordSB.pdf

Ron

Last edited by rknight111; 12-04-2007 at 08:28 AM.
Old 12-04-2007, 10:29 AM
tgene
Junior User
Talk about a crock of S__T. They have a design problem and want the consumer to provide the fix. Yah, pure BS. gene

Old 12-04-2007, 11:03 AM
farnorthdan
Junior User
live in AK

I've been having to reset my filter minder often, I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I live in Alaska and its been cold 8 dgrees F this am. Not much snow though. I guess I better pull my filter and look at it.

Old 12-04-2007, 11:56 AM
Creekowl2
New User
Darn, it got down to 60 degrees in Florida last night. Should I check my filter?

Old 12-04-2007, 01:14 PM
rknight111
New User
Originally Posted by farnorthdan
I've been having to reset my filter minder often, I wonder if this has anything to do with it. I live in Alaska and its been cold 8 dgrees F this am. Not much snow though. I guess I better pull my filter and look at it.
And if it is frozen your SOL, get out the wallet, I had to pay for a new filter on the truck at 12000K, and all I did was drove home last night and my new one has a skiff of snow on it allready. I hope my old filter thaws out and dries so tommorow I can swap the filters again. Im so lucky I was able to make the decision to buy a new truck this year. My neighbours just look out the window and shake there heads as my hood seems to be open alot, and I havn't sold my 02 Duramax yet as I may sell this ford first.

Old 12-04-2007, 01:27 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You can purchase OEM filters here (FTE sponsor) for $53.95
http://www.dieselfiltersonline.com/F...s-Fa-1886.aspx

The Winter Grill Cover 8C3Z-19A414-A became standard factory issue IIRC starting with job#2 (7/30/07) for all trucks destined Canada and USA cold states that come from the factory with the engine block heater cord standard (AK, CO, IA, ME, MN, MT, ND, SD, WI, WY).

Old 12-04-2007, 11:36 PM
6.0 powerstroker
Junior User
It seems that their fix for this problem is to install the winter grill cover. They came equiped with job 2 trucks....... I think they should send any of us with job 1 trucks one for free also. I will call them and see what they say. In the mean time I cannot even locate the part on Fords site to see what they cost for purchase... anyone have a link?

Old 12-05-2007, 01:31 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.0 powerstroker
It seems that their fix for this problem is to install the winter grill cover. They came equiped with job 2 trucks....... I think they should send any of us with job 1 trucks one for free also. I will call them and see what they say. In the mean time I cannot even locate the part on Fords site to see what they cost for purchase... anyone have a link?
The only trucks that come with the winter grill cover are those originally delivered in AK, CO, IA, ME, MN, MT, ND, SD, WI, WY. In PA your truck did not automatically come with the engine block heater cord so the winter grill cover would have been an option as well.

Old 12-05-2007, 06:40 AM
jrtraderny
Senior User
Originally Posted by blackhat620
The only trucks that come with the winter grill cover are those originally delivered in AK, CO, IA, ME, MN, MT, ND, SD, WI, WY. In PA your truck did not automatically come with the engine block heater cord so the winter grill cover would have been an option as well.
Add NY to that list.
jr

Old 12-05-2007, 07:18 AM
PowerStrokeHD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhat620
Ford has expanded the number of cold weather states for '08. Like jrtraderny mentioned, NY has been added along with ID, MI, NH, and VT.

So anyone with a JOB2 truck originally delivered to one of the 15 states listed above should have a winter cover as standard equipment.

Old 12-05-2007, 07:50 AM
rknight111
New User
That doesn't help me much, I live in Alberta,Canada and never got one. I have a block heater though. I sure liked it when the dealer called ford and they gave me the service bulletin and said your SOL Ford wont warrante your filter. I was blown away, So I bought the new one, he did give me a deal on it though. Now I checked last night and Its 1/2 frozen with snow so I should get one more day out of it and I'll put the dried out filter in there, and thaw the new one out.
Now its been 3 days and not a call or email from Ford. I let them know If I didn't recieve any correspondence from them within 5 working days I would go further with this.

Where does the new trucks draw the air from I need to re-deflect it somehow. They have no parts available at the dealer.

Whats a job1 truck and a job2 truck?

Quick Reply: Check Air Filer Warning